The dark side of Buddhism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2016, 11:26 AM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2016 12:00 PM by TheMoralist.)
The dark side of Buddhism
I don't know if I am posting this in the right place. (Sorry I am confused with all the forum categories Big Grin)

Being a former "religious" buddhist, I found this article to be enlightening (yep, that was supposed to be a pun - Buddhism and enlightenment LOL).

While in the west and even among the atheist communities, Buddhism is accepted as not that harmful and not all that bad. And honestly, I do agree with it. There are great things secular Buddhism got to offer. However, for the most part, Buddhism as a religion can be a bit dark and even harmful if one goes about it incorrectly.

Here is the article: LINK HERE

I personally witnessed this happening when I was involved with Buddhist community. For the most part, people blames a lot of things on their karma from previous lives. So instead of taking responsibility and strive to improve, they simply say it couldn't be helped.

Among the many scary things were the fact that many of them find life to be not worth living. They also reject their body as absolutely disgusting (with meditation of body as pus and decaying corpse) and they felt guilt and shame in feeling pleasure of any kind. I witnessed people starting to reject those around them and retreated back into seclusion in hope of avoiding desire which they believe to bring about suffering. Ultimately, what it sounds like is being clinically depressed.

Another thing scary about Buddhism that we see in Zen or Tibetan Buddhism is that a person surrender themselves completely to a teacher. This teacher has absolute authority over a student and it is not uncommon to hear about physical, mental, and sexual abuses from these teachers.

What do you guys think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2016, 11:44 AM
RE: The dark side of Buddhism
(26-07-2016 11:26 AM)TheMoralist Wrote:  I don't know if I am posting this in the right place. (Sorry I am confused with all the forum categories Big Grin)

Being a former "religious" buddhist, I found this article to be enlightening (yep, that was supposed to be a pun - Buddhism and enlightenment LOL).

While in the west and even among the atheist communities, Buddhism is accepted as not that harmful and not all that bad. And honestly, I do agree with it. There are great things secular Buddhism got to offer. However, for the most part, Buddhism as a religion can be a bit dark and even harmful if one goes about it incorrectly.

I personally witnessed this happening when I was involved with Buddhist community. For the most part, people blames a lot of things on their karma from previous lives. So instead of taking responsibility and strive to improve, they simply say it couldn't be helped.

Among the many scary things were the fact that many of them find life to be not worth living. They also reject their body as absolutely disgusting (with meditation of body as pus and decaying corpse) and they felt guilt and shame in feeling pleasure of any kind. I witnessed people starting to reject those around them and retreated back into seclusion in hope of avoiding desire which they believe to bring about suffering. Ultimately, what it sounds like is being clinically depressed.

What do you guys think?

I didn't follow the link but from what you write, that sounds really bad. But whether you blame it on Karma or god's will, it ends up all the same.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-07-2016, 11:59 AM
(26-07-2016 11:44 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-07-2016 11:26 AM)TheMoralist Wrote:  I don't know if I am posting this in the right place. (Sorry I am confused with all the forum categories Big Grin)

What do you guys think?

I didn't follow the link but from what you write, that sounds really bad. But whether you blame it on Karma or god's will, it ends up all the same.

Yeah, it is pretty horrible. And you are right, Karma is actually understood in many ways people see god's will. It is a notion that we are helpless against it and should surrender to it that is pretty bad.

This is of course not to talk about all the physical and sexual abuses in Buddhism.
[+] 1 user Likes TheMoralist's post
30-07-2016, 05:50 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2016 08:23 PM by pagesofdreams.)
I also wonder if it's utilized to judge people in other sad ways. For example, you could also assume someone who is poor must have been a bad person in a past life. No Additionally, I've also seen the term Karma misunderstood to be that a person will be punished in this life if they do bad things. I've heard people talk about how "That person will get what's coming to them eventually" when unfortunately it's not always the case. Granted, if you do enough bad things that affect other people, the likeliness that it will piss someone off enough to want to do something certainly raises. But the idea that the universe will do something back to that person to balance things is something untestable. Usually, people like to think that bad people will have bad things done to them eventually in order to feel better, but this may prevent one from taking action because of that belief.
30-07-2016, 08:22 PM
Also, I hadn't thought too deeply on the potential harm from Buddhism, but this truly throws in an interesting perspective. While there are some thoughtful statements from Buddhism, the attitude that everything bad you experience was your fault in a past life is truly a self-esteem damaging idea.
06-08-2016, 03:37 AM
Hi,

A psychotherapist once told me (at a party, not on the couch), that Buddhism is Christianity.

Phew! I think she meant that both Buddhism and Christianity work on the axiom that the world is a bad place, full of suffering, and we have to get out of it. Of course, the 'getting out' involves following their exact prescriptions to the letter.

No surprises there. Confused

For those who think that Buddhism is a least worse option among the religions, maybe we could remember the above and the phrase 'My way or the highway' ?

D.
09-08-2016, 10:29 AM
(30-07-2016 05:50 PM)pagesofdreams Wrote:  I also wonder if it's utilized to judge people in other sad ways. For example, you could also assume someone who is poor must have been a bad person in a past life. No Additionally, I've also seen the term Karma misunderstood to be that a person will be punished in this life if they do bad things. I've heard people talk about how "That person will get what's coming to them eventually" when unfortunately it's not always the case. Granted, if you do enough bad things that affect other people, the likeliness that it will piss someone off enough to want to do something certainly raises. But the idea that the universe will do something back to that person to balance things is something untestable. Usually, people like to think that bad people will have bad things done to them eventually in order to feel better, but this may prevent one from taking action because of that belief.

I agree. Karma is often misunderstood as some sort of magical judge of all actions. Two bad things came from this is that people surrender themselves to their short comings instead of working to improve it because they think it couldn't be helped, and of course they don't take action against someone who are doing the wrong things because surely Karma will get them...
09-08-2016, 10:32 AM
(06-08-2016 03:37 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

A psychotherapist once told me (at a party, not on the couch), that Buddhism is Christianity.

Phew! I think she meant that both Buddhism and Christianity work on the axiom that the world is a bad place, full of suffering, and we have to get out of it. Of course, the 'getting out' involves following their exact prescriptions to the letter.

No surprises there. Confused

For those who think that Buddhism is a least worse option among the religions, maybe we could remember the above and the phrase 'My way or the highway' ?

D.

In many ways. If anything, I would argue Buddhists sees life even more negatively than Christians do. While quite a few Christians will sought for heaven, they still see the Earth as some sort of god's creation. On the contrary, Buddhists for the most part literally see this existence as sorrowful. They contemplate on the decaying nature of reality and apparently that is enough to keep them of wanting to be engaged with the rest of the world.
09-08-2016, 10:39 AM
I think one can take pretty much any philosophy, even a mostly benign one, to an unhealthy and destructive extreme. Those who are inclined to journey to that edge usually find one path or another that will take them there.
09-08-2016, 11:12 AM
(09-08-2016 10:39 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I think one can take pretty much any philosophy, even a mostly benign one, to an unhealthy and destructive extreme. Those who are inclined to journey to that edge usually find one path or another that will take them there.

Reminds me of this Campbell quote.

"Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble."

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post