The dark side of Buddhism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2016, 04:56 PM
RE: The dark side of Buddhism
There isn't karma and there isn't a god. There is only the chuck Norris will.Yes

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
11-08-2016, 05:43 PM
(11-08-2016 04:56 PM)Leo Wrote:  There isn't karma and there isn't a god. There is only the chuck Norris will.Yes

should I erect a shrine for him now? LOL
[+] 1 user Likes TheMoralist's post
11-08-2016, 10:42 PM
(11-08-2016 05:43 PM)TheMoralist Wrote:  
(11-08-2016 04:56 PM)Leo Wrote:  There isn't karma and there isn't a god. There is only the chuck Norris will.Yes

should I erect a shrine for him now? LOL

Naw, just air some reruns of "Walker, Texas Ranger".
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
12-08-2016, 01:28 AM
Well, the extent of my Buddhism knowledge comes from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and old episodes of Kung Fu.
However, I always considered it to be a benign, unobtrusive, friendly, quasi- religion. I'm pretty amazed by this revelation. Not shocked, as all religions are perfect vehicles for corruption, but amazed that this is so well hidden from most folks outside the faith.

Interesting!
12-08-2016, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2016 11:31 AM by Leo.)
(12-08-2016 01:28 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  Well, the extent of my Buddhism knowledge comes from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and old episodes of Kung Fu.
However, I always considered it to be a benign, unobtrusive, friendly, quasi- religion. I'm pretty amazed by this revelation. Not shocked, as all religions are perfect vehicles for corruption, but amazed that this is so well hidden from most folks outside the faith.

Interesting!

Well it depends of what school of Buddhism you are talking about. There are many schools of Buddhism with different interpretations of the religion teachings. But I agree, religions in general are destructive.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
12-08-2016, 11:30 AM
(12-08-2016 01:28 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  Well, the extent of my Buddhism knowledge comes from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and old episodes of Kung Fu.

Interesting!

Did you ever read Ed Abbey's "review" of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? It's hilarious. I can't find it online, but it was in his book Down the River. Ed took on the persona of an outlaw biker and complained (with much profanity) about the "motorcycle" aspects of the book.
12-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Quote:Did you ever read Ed Abbey's "review" of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? It's hilarious. I can't find it online, but it was in his book Down the River. Ed took on the persona of an outlaw biker and complained (with much profanity) about the "motorcycle" aspects of the book.

I just ordered it from Amazon, $14.96
I was hoping it was out for Kindle, but no such luck.

I can easily imagine where he could go with this...I'm anxious to read it!
12-08-2016, 12:27 PM

Interesting!

Lol I actually like that book.

Zen is often deemed as the least religious sect of Buddhism. It is more apparent among the western Zennies that they do not believe or care for after life. Most do not believe in the traditional 'Enlightenment' as other sects do. For the most part, Zen is quite harmless. Bunch of people sitting around meditating and throw back and forth witty mind game known as "Koan" LOL.

The dark side of Zen, however, is the abuses that had been swept under the rug. Zen emphasize strongly the teacher-student relationship. Among some teachers, they see that a student will make no progress unless he or she has a teacher. This opens up a whole lot of problems. Now the students, in many cases, became dependent on the teacher which allows sexual harassment to happen.

If we are to take a look at Zen from it's historical root back in Japan, we will also discover quite a bit disturbing stuff, abuses and even rape among it.
16-08-2016, 12:43 AM
Quote:If we are to take a look at Zen from it's historical root back in Japan, we will also discover quite a bit disturbing stuff, abuses and even rape among it.

That's really surprising...I've done some online research and you're absolutely right, there is a dark side to Zen. I don't know how much of this came to American shores, as it seems Zen was adopted by the hippies and integrated into the drug subculture pretty effectively, but...there is a trail of creepy that is pretty easy to pick up!
16-08-2016, 11:12 AM
Also, the Buddhists in Myanmar seem very happy persecuting the Muslim minority there.