The dark side of legalized pot and media hysteria

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2014, 01:07 PM
The dark side of legalized pot and media hysteria
This news story broke on MSNBC today about pot dispensaries now having to deal with violent crime. No, it's not Nancy Grace crap about pot CAUSING violent crime, it's about violent criminals robbing pot dispenaries.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/legal-p...snhp&pos=1

"ROBBER GANGS TERRORIZE COLORADO POT SHOPS", the headline reads.

Yes sooner or later it had to happen. Pot shops, like any other place that carries expensive and coveted commonities (hard to believe because cannibis is nothing more than a nusiance weed) are going to be susceptible to violent crime. Armed robbers and smash-and-grab thieves are attracted to the the lure of easy money that they'll risk prison time over it.

Of course robberies of other legal drug dispensaries happen daily in this country and nobody bats an eyelash about it.

Don't believe me? Just google 'liquor store robberies' and see what comes up.

The media is hyping this stuff. Now don't get me wrong; there is a crime problem here as nearly 1 in 5 pot shops in Colorado have claimed to have been robbed in one fashion or another. And going into this business, the owners should have forseen these dangers.

This situation is not aided by the federal government, who still considers marijuana to be illegal. As such, pot dispensaries cannot hold bank accounts with would allow the customers to pay for the pot using electronic means; they must pay cash for it, which makes the dispensary and even more tempting target for criminals - and makes it even harder to recover lost property and money when it does happen.

To be sure, these pot palaces will have to improve security; they'll probably look a lot more like banks or liquor or jewelery stores in the future. And they will probably employ armed guards (some shops in CO do today) who are trained to use deadly force.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2014, 01:11 PM
RE: The dark side of legalized pot and media hysteria
(05-02-2014 01:07 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  And they will probably employ armed guards (some shops in CO do today) who are trained to use deadly force.

All in all, sounds a lot easier to just grow your own...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
05-02-2014, 01:50 PM
(05-02-2014 01:11 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(05-02-2014 01:07 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  And they will probably employ armed guards (some shops in CO do today) who are trained to use deadly force.

All in all, sounds a lot easier to just grow your own...

It would. Pity that this is still illegal in Colorado.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

05-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Am I mistaken or are they not allowed to use credit cards for making sales in the pot stores?

Seems like I heard that was an issue that came up because some stores were allowing credit and debit card use and that's not allowed.

If that's the case, then you are looking at the potential for a lot of cash being on the premises. Sounds like a good place to rob. You can get cash and not just a pile of credit card receipts.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
05-02-2014, 02:04 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2014 02:14 PM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
(05-02-2014 01:59 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Am I mistaken or are they not allowed to use credit cards for making sales in the pot stores?

Seems like I heard that was an issue that came up because some stores were allowing credit and debit card use and that's not allowed.

If that's the case, then you are looking at the potential for a lot of cash being on the premises. Sounds like a good place to rob. You can get cash and not just a pile of credit card receipts.

According to the article, the Federal Government prohibits banks from having people set up accounts which are used to holding or processing money used to purchase illegal items. Since pot is illegal under federal law, the dispensaries cannot set up business bank accounts. Without that, one cannot set up a debit or credit card means of transaction and will have to pay either with cash, checks (unlikely) or money orders.

It's a pity they do that. Ever seen a pizza delivery truck with the phrase "DRIVER CARRIES LESS THAN $20.00" on the side? That's not worth 10 years in prison over. But $300,000 worth of pot and $100,000 in cash, which can fit easily in a large duffel bag is.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
05-02-2014, 02:12 PM
(05-02-2014 02:04 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(05-02-2014 01:59 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Am I mistaken or are they not allowed to use credit cards for making sales in the pot stores?

According to the article, the Federal Government prohibits banks from having people set up accounts which are used to holding or processing money used to purchase illegal items. Since pot is illegal under federal law, the dispensaries cannot set up business bank accounts. Without that, one cannot set up a debit or credit card means of transaction and will have to pay either with cash, checks (unlikely) or money orders.

This increases the available cash at the dispensary which makes it a target for robberies.

That makes sense. The money can't pass through the fed from bank to bank. I hadn't thought of that part of it.

But anything that can be grabbed onto to make it an issue...our media at work. It's the pot, not the massive stacks of cash. Dodgy

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
05-02-2014, 11:50 PM
Federal law is causing this problem.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.