The darkening of the Earth...need sources

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2017, 02:03 PM
RE: The darkening of the Earth...need sources
(21-08-2017 01:16 PM)Loom Wrote:  And how he's failed me and can't fathom why I 'reject' Christ.

Why did he have to bring up religion!

Tell him that if God wants you to believe, he'll sort it out. As it is, it must be God's plan for you not to believe. Therefore, he shouldn't blame himself, nor should he fight with you over it, since if God is a God of love, he will surely rather prefer that you guys remain friends.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-08-2017, 02:09 PM
(21-08-2017 01:59 PM)morondog Wrote:  The "philosopher" Nero huh? Laugh out load That's a new one. Nero was famous not for philosophy but for being one of the cruelest and craziest of a famously cruel and crazy dynasty of Roman emporers. Well, Caligula was pretty strong competition...

I should prolly eat... I get a bit confused when I don't eat. I'm pretty sure the dad called him a philosopher which is why I said it, and I should have caught that but didn't. BRB off to get food.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
21-08-2017, 02:17 PM
Dark - who says dark like at night? Maybe dark like under heavy cloud cover, or in a sand storm....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
21-08-2017, 02:31 PM
Thanks guys...it'd just help if my dad didn't take this so personally...I decided to run my errands early to get away from a possible debate.

Obviously I'm not keen on history--had no clue who Nero was, and apparently it's about the same for my dad.

Ugh I hope he says nothing...or it could all blow up...

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
21-08-2017, 02:34 PM
My suggestion? Masturbation. It's a nice fuck you to the imaginary friend it seems your dad is into. Might help ya feel better ya?

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
21-08-2017, 03:54 PM
(21-08-2017 02:34 PM)JesseB Wrote:  My suggestion? Masturbation. It's a nice fuck you to the imaginary friend it seems your dad is into. Might help ya feel better ya?

Oh man, I'm definitely on God's shit list...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
21-08-2017, 07:11 PM
(21-08-2017 03:54 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-08-2017 02:34 PM)JesseB Wrote:  My suggestion? Masturbation. It's a nice fuck you to the imaginary friend it seems your dad is into. Might help ya feel better ya?

Oh man, I'm definitely on God's shit list...

Me too. Me too...

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
21-08-2017, 07:34 PM
(21-08-2017 01:16 PM)Loom Wrote:  To which he asked me my thoughts if the moon really did cover the sun for hours. I replied if the moon had suddenly stopped, the Earth would certainly shake. There would also be monstrous waves that would wipe out the coastlines and life would take a serious beating. He agreed with me, in a smug sort of 'Well god used his powers break physics and keep that from happening,'

Dodgy

If that was your come-back then don't worry, you won. Checkmate, atheist. His response is one of embarrassment; let him down easy. As others have said, this was (alleged to be) a freaking three-hour total eclipse. This would fail to be noticed by, oh, I don't know, NOBODY and would have instantly become the most amazing natural occurrance before or since. There were at that time several reasonably reputable Roman historians that, though they recorded plenty of natural stuff, failed to notice a THREE HOUR blotting out of the sun. This is beyond argument; let your dad save face by telling him you enjoyed the discussion (possibly bad advice, IDK)
[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
21-08-2017, 09:12 PM
(21-08-2017 01:59 PM)morondog Wrote:  The "philosopher" Nero huh? Laugh out load That's a new one. Nero was famous not for philosophy but for being one of the cruelest and craziest of a famously cruel and crazy dynasty of Roman emporers. Well, Caligula was pretty strong competition...

Actually, we don't really know.

Nero, while not the greatest of emperors was well loved by the population. His actions during the great fire of Rome saved many lives.

What we do know is that historians, writing after his death, had issues with the Julio Claudian's. These issues stemmed mainly due to the action of Sejanus under Tiberius when Tiberius lived on Capri.

There is nothing in evidence for much of which Nero was accused. No historical evidence of xian persecution, no evidence of much else really.

All we really have is hearsay written first by angry people writing while ruled by another Imperial family.

Some things Nero did.

Nero freed Greece.
Nero despised the Games and tried to support the arts in their place.
Nero lowered the cost of food for the average citizen. Especially that of corn.
Nero re-built the city after the fire.
Nero lowered taxes.
Nero improved several conditions under which slaves lived.

Hearsay unproven.
Nero burned Rome. He was not in the city and rushed back to help upon learning of the fire.
Nero had his mother killed.
Nero fiddled while Rome burned. In fact he was saving the populace.
Nero would lock the doors of a theatre when performing.

There's so much. One cannot be sure of anything. Nero is very much an enigma.

The same cannot be said of Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
21-08-2017, 09:43 PM

"Nero became emperor with the consent of the Praetorian Guard." (Wiki)
I'll just *bet* he did. Rolleyes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.