The darkening of the Earth...need sources

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2017, 09:51 PM
RE: The darkening of the Earth...need sources
(21-08-2017 09:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(21-08-2017 01:59 PM)morondog Wrote:  The "philosopher" Nero huh? Laugh out load That's a new one. Nero was famous not for philosophy but for being one of the cruelest and craziest of a famously cruel and crazy dynasty of Roman emporers. Well, Caligula was pretty strong competition...

"Nero became emperor with the consent of the Praetorian Guard." (Wiki)
I'll just *bet* he did. Rolleyes

That was the way you made it in Rome back then. Get the Praetorian guards on your side, you were Emporer. At least for a while - some guys paid vast sums over and got murdered for their pains.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-08-2017, 10:05 PM
(21-08-2017 09:51 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-08-2017 09:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "Nero became emperor with the consent of the Praetorian Guard." (Wiki)
I'll just *bet* he did. Rolleyes

That was the way you made it in Rome back then. Get the Praetorian guards on your side, you were Emporer. At least for a while - some guys paid vast sums over and got murdered for their pains.

... I meant it salaciously. Weeping
Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
21-08-2017, 10:40 PM
(21-08-2017 01:16 PM)Loom Wrote:  Edit: why did he ever have to bring up religion? January 1st is when I plan to be out of the house. That was already known. But he's now texted me a paragraph on making sure I'm out by then. And how he's failed me and can't fathom why I 'reject' Christ.

Why did he have to bring up religion!

Good grief, I'm sorry. Sad Seriously do not get folks who would get so upset about faith that they would do something like this. Sorry you have to go through it with your dad.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-08-2017, 07:30 AM
(21-08-2017 10:40 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(21-08-2017 01:16 PM)Loom Wrote:  Edit: why did he ever have to bring up religion? January 1st is when I plan to be out of the house. That was already known. But he's now texted me a paragraph on making sure I'm out by then. And how he's failed me and can't fathom why I 'reject' Christ.

Good grief, I'm sorry. Sad Seriously do not get folks who would get so upset about faith that they would do something like this. Sorry you have to go through it with your dad.

I still thank my lucky stars it wasn't a case of being immediately kicked out and disowned like some poor kids.

I'm planning to move out sooner, anyway, since home is becoming even more stressful.

Just wish it didn't have to be this way :/

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
22-08-2017, 09:02 AM
(21-08-2017 01:16 PM)Loom Wrote:  I'm abit short on time but I know some of you guys are well versed with verses and stoof.

As I watched the eclipse with my dad, he brought up the darkening of the Earth when Christ purportedly died (way to ruin the awesome cosmic moment). He cited 'atheist' sources confirming the darkness, telling me how philosopher Nero had written about it.

I mentioned no other historian or anyone literate at the time wrote of the darkness, the earth shaking, and the dead rising to appear to many (he wasn't aware of this particular bit). Most secular 'accounts' were probably forgeries. It's possible a volcanic eruption blotted out light, but there was no physical way for the sun to go dark without serious ramifications.

To which he asked me my thoughts if the moon really did cover the sun for hours. I replied if the moon had suddenly stopped, the Earth would certainly shake. There would also be monstrous waves that would wipe out the coastlines and life would take a serious beating. He agreed with me, in a smug sort of 'Well god used his powers break physics and keep that from happening,'

Dodgy

Anyway.

I know it's all bunk but I'm no debater and I need some sources to back myself up on the 'accounts' of the darkening of the Earth and whatnot.

Edit: why did he ever have to bring up religion? January 1st is when I plan to be out of the house. That was already known. But he's now texted me a paragraph on making sure I'm out by then. And how he's failed me and can't fathom why I 'reject' Christ.

A) on the "sources" I would reply "Citation please."

B) If he's going to say "God used his powers to stop physics" then I would reply "So magic then?" and then ask if he's just going to go to magic then why even attempt to try and make all of the biblical stuff seem to be scientific? You can't on one hand act like somehow biblical events fit science but then on the other hand just say "magic" when events obviously cannot be scientific. It's maddening how they try to do that and it's complete bullshit.
22-08-2017, 09:54 AM
(22-08-2017 09:02 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  
(21-08-2017 01:16 PM)Loom Wrote:  I'm abit short on time but I know some of you guys are well versed with verses and stoof.

As I watched the eclipse with my dad, he brought up the darkening of the Earth when Christ purportedly died (way to ruin the awesome cosmic moment). He cited 'atheist' sources confirming the darkness, telling me how philosopher Nero had written about it.

I mentioned no other historian or anyone literate at the time wrote of the darkness, the earth shaking, and the dead rising to appear to many (he wasn't aware of this particular bit). Most secular 'accounts' were probably forgeries. It's possible a volcanic eruption blotted out light, but there was no physical way for the sun to go dark without serious ramifications.

To which he asked me my thoughts if the moon really did cover the sun for hours. I replied if the moon had suddenly stopped, the Earth would certainly shake. There would also be monstrous waves that would wipe out the coastlines and life would take a serious beating. He agreed with me, in a smug sort of 'Well god used his powers break physics and keep that from happening,'

Dodgy

Anyway.

I know it's all bunk but I'm no debater and I need some sources to back myself up on the 'accounts' of the darkening of the Earth and whatnot.

Edit: why did he ever have to bring up religion? January 1st is when I plan to be out of the house. That was already known. But he's now texted me a paragraph on making sure I'm out by then. And how he's failed me and can't fathom why I 'reject' Christ.

A) on the "sources" I would reply "Citation please."

B) If he's going to say "God used his powers to stop physics" then I would reply "So magic then?" and then ask if he's just going to go to magic then why even attempt to try and make all of the biblical stuff seem to be scientific? You can't on one hand act like somehow biblical events fit science but then on the other hand just say "magic" when events obviously cannot be scientific. It's maddening how they try to do that and it's complete bullshit.

Cuz god works in mysterious ways Dodgy

But somehow he can't fathom the evolution of species. In the same text he accepted the artificial selection of domestic animals, but went on to claim no scientist has ever been able to explain to him how a sparrow evolved Facepalm

I somehow doubt he's ever listened.

Oh, might I add he's been to the Ark Wncounter and didn't seem too fazed on the 'hyper'evolution' that Ham claims occured post flood.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
22-08-2017, 04:37 PM
(22-08-2017 07:30 AM)Loom Wrote:  
(21-08-2017 10:40 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Good grief, I'm sorry. Sad Seriously do not get folks who would get so upset about faith that they would do something like this. Sorry you have to go through it with your dad.

I still thank my lucky stars it wasn't a case of being immediately kicked out and disowned like some poor kids.

I'm planning to move out sooner, anyway, since home is becoming even more stressful.

Just wish it didn't have to be this way :/

Sorry Sad Wish it didn't have to be that way either. It just blows my mind, as an outsider, that anyone can do that! Plus the idea that this is you being glad that it wasn't worse... Hug

And how does he not have issue with Ham's post-Flood hyper-evolution, but problems with small incremental changes? Facepalm

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user