The death of a pet animal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2017, 02:07 AM
The death of a pet animal
Our hamster has died

His name is Felix. He lived a long time, was always friendly and peaceful to be around. Two days ago he was taking pieces of carrot from my hand, then he seemed muddled and then today my wife found him in one of his his tubes, dead.

There are so many things to say about Felix. There was the way he reacted to us, always coming out of his nest at the sound of my voice. There was the way he was gentle with our fingers, and once when he escaped he decided to come back again. OK, I know about anthropomorphism, and I also know that Felix made his choices. I liked his individualism and his attention to detail, so much like me. In the moment of his big adventure, he chose safety and what he knew. Maybe I would do the same.

He is in the kitchen, in a little box with his name on it. He will be missed.

What are your experiences with the life and death of a pet animal?

D.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2017, 02:11 AM
RE: The death of a pet animal
(27-01-2017 02:07 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Our hamster has died

His name is Felix. He lived a long time, was always friendly and peaceful to be around. Two days ago he was taking pieces of carrot from my hand, then he seemed muddled and then today my wife found him in one of his his tubes, dead.

There are so many things to say about Felix. There was the way he reacted to us, always coming out of his nest at the sound of my voice. There was the way he was gentle with our fingers, and once when he escaped he decided to come back again. OK, I know about anthropomorphism, and I also know that Felix made his choices. I liked his individualism and his attention to detail, so much like me. In the moment of his big adventure, he chose safety and what he knew. Maybe I would do the same.

D.

So sorry about your loss.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
27-01-2017, 04:52 AM
We had a pet hamster, he went missing for a couple of days. One night we heard scratching coming from the wall cavity, it was him. I got a screwdriver and made a hole in the plasterboard big enough for him to get out. he lived for about 18 months after this happened, we had a little funeral for him. Sorry about your pet.
27-01-2017, 05:49 AM
I had a dog for 17 years. When my dad had to bring him to the doc to put him down it broke my heart. If you have a pet for so long it becomes part of your life. Its a living, interacting creature after all, not just a table or a closet.

Keep a good memory of Felix. Bury him in your backyard if you feel like.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
27-01-2017, 09:21 AM
Sorry for your loss. Hug Felix sounds like he was a much loved little hamster. Heart

One of my dogs passed away several years ago. I had her cremated and took a lock of her hair. I have a memory box for her with an engraving for her. I put various photos of her inside the box. She was definitely loved and I miss her every day. Heart
27-01-2017, 09:28 AM
I am so sorry for your loss Sad

We kept our last dog's ashes and her tag in a little box. I still miss her terribly.

Hugs to you.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
27-01-2017, 09:30 AM
Very sorry for your loss.

After 12 1/2 of his 13 years, I had to put my pet dog down a number of years ago.

His ashes are buried in a special spot near the family cottage where he used to lay in the sun.

He's been gone for over a decade. I still miss him.
27-01-2017, 10:11 AM
My sincerest condolences; I've very sorry for your loss.

I have endured the deaths of six cats and two dogs over my lifetime.
Every death was heart-breaking. Truly.
They leave such an empty space in your heart.

Some of these deaths were felt more keenly than the loss of an elderly family member.
(There. I've said it. Sue me. )

BTW, the idea that there is no place in the resurrection for animals definitely pushed me towards atheism.
If I can't be with my deceased pets, fuck heaven.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
27-01-2017, 10:29 AM
Sorry about your hamster. They can be a lot of fun.
27-01-2017, 10:36 AM
At work.

(27-01-2017 02:07 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Our hamster has died

D.

Sadcryface

Hug

Heart