The death of currency.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2015, 07:58 AM
RE: The death of currency.
I think in this type of context for it to work out, you need to have the potential of people being able to acquire basically anything they want that fills their needs themselves or in their tight group.

It may seem out of the realm but if something advances and moves beyond the needed with the growing technology of 3D Printing it could occur in many generations. If there could be a moment of time where the information of creating own goods is free for anyone to use and build, there could be open exchange easily that way. If that also works hand in hand with generating gardening and food processing that is done by people at their own homes or shelters it also eliminates most of the needs.

The steps of making that happen at a form where it is no longer a quantified commodity is a tough stuff but I think that's technology that would be able to be a stepping stone.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2015, 08:41 AM
Currency will not be obsolete unless all possible concepts of value are. It's merely a unit of account - fundamentally, an abstraction of barter. So long as there isn't an infinite supply of anything anyone ever wants, I can't see us quite doing away with trade.

Now, that's actually rather incidental to the bulk of the OP...

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
24-03-2015, 08:48 AM
(24-03-2015 07:58 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I think in this type of context for it to work out, you need to have the potential of people being able to acquire basically anything they want that fills their needs themselves or in their tight group.

It may seem out of the realm but if something advances and moves beyond the needed with the growing technology of 3D Printing it could occur in many generations. If there could be a moment of time where the information of creating own goods is free for anyone to use and build, there could be open exchange easily that way. If that also works hand in hand with generating gardening and food processing that is done by people at their own homes or shelters it also eliminates most of the needs.

The steps of making that happen at a form where it is no longer a quantified commodity is a tough stuff but I think that's technology that would be able to be a stepping stone.

Sure, but 3D printing still requires inputs. There are plenty of raw materials I couldn't scrounge up in my backyard! I mean, I guess one could make the case for nano-scale recycling, which gets you pretty close to 100% re-use of literally everything (albeit at staggering energy costs), but that works only for things you already have - the initial material still has to come from somewhere.

Likewise, I have trouble imagining even a distant future where energy is effectively non-finite. Even though the population will likely level off and even decrease in the long term, the resource consumption per capita is only going to keep growing - which it has to, since crudely speaking to decrease material consumption and waste always comes at greater energy cost.

... this is my signature!
24-03-2015, 09:22 AM
(24-03-2015 07:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-03-2015 07:53 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  That'd work.

But I'm a wheel gun kinda guy... A J frame in 32 H+R Mag is my favorite.

I like my Ruger SP-101 in .327 Fed Mag.

You reload? I think my H+R dies will handle .327 - which is just a stretched 32 H+R....

I've even got a six bullet mold for casting 93 grain RN bullets...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
24-03-2015, 09:24 AM
(24-03-2015 09:22 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(24-03-2015 07:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  I like my Ruger SP-101 in .327 Fed Mag.

You reload? I think my H+R dies will handle .327 - which is just a stretched 32 H+R....

I've even got a six bullet mold for casting 93 grain RN bullets...

I only reload shotgun, but my brother does pistol. Need to get dies.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-03-2015, 09:25 AM
Then again - if you've got ammo - you're one better than currency.....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
24-03-2015, 10:10 AM
(24-03-2015 09:25 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  ... Then again - if you've got ammo - you're one better than currency ...

If that were true people wouldn't use their guns to steal currency, they would just use their guns. You know, do the grocery shopping then pull out the ol' 357 at the checkout. At the restaurant give the waitress a peek of the Magnum when she brings the bill. Drop by the PG&E office and wave the gun at 'em while giving them back the invoice for March they sent you. Stop at the bank, close out the account, have a few words with the bank manager that they have nothing to fear from you, you've got the gun, so won't be using it to rob them of that inconvenient bulky currency because you'll be using your gun from now on for all acquisitions.

Laugh out load
24-03-2015, 10:27 AM
(24-03-2015 10:10 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(24-03-2015 09:25 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  ... Then again - if you've got ammo - you're one better than currency ...

If that were true people wouldn't use their guns to steal currency, they would just use their guns. You know, do the grocery shopping then pull out the ol' 357 at the checkout. At the restaurant give the waitress a peek of the Magnum when she brings the bill. Drop by the PG&E office and wave the gun at 'em while giving them back the invoice for March they sent you. Stop at the bank, close out the account, have a few words with the bank manager that they have nothing to fear from you, you've got the gun, so won't be using it to rob them of that inconvenient bulky currency because you'll be using your gun from now on for all acquisitions.

Laugh out load

Only in the post-apocalyptic economy. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-03-2015, 10:58 AM
But it IS true......

Absolutely true story....

I bought a large lot of ammo from WalMart years back. $8.96 a box of 550 Federal 22 caliber Long Rifle...

At the height of the 22 ammo shortage (about 8 years later) - I was able to sell off those 550 packs - to a gun shop - for 40 bucks each.

You'd be lucky to get that sort of return on the stock market...

24-03-2015, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2015 04:41 PM by Shadow Fox.)
(24-03-2015 04:37 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  There is no way to get rid of human greed, there will always be those who will attempt to manipulate any system you set up.

I believe greed is only the byproduct of our primitive need to survive. Find a way to engineer that out of ourselves through time or science and the need for gain,wealth,power and control no longer exists.Stability, Community and Peace are possible if we can somehow evolve past our primitive mindset and toss that which infects us all aside. I believe the best way to go about this is through science and engineering a new human race through trans humanism science. It may not seem possible because of our lack of understanding and the world we have known and know today, but it can happen. I see little to no reason why it couldn't given enough time and work.

Given enough time, everything we know today of how the world works can be replaced by a utopia that surpasses anything we have today or before it. I think once we evolve enough through not just our bodies and minds but society. A world without greed,currency and desire for power is very possible. Those in power will have no real mental need or desire for it, they will simply be selected for it because it is what they are either designed or grew up to be best fitted to do.

as far as actual trade goes, I can easily see information or knowledge or "contribution" to the human race being used as a form of trade.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ