The debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2016, 08:48 AM
RE: The debate
(28-09-2016 07:34 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(28-09-2016 07:08 AM)Dom Wrote:  White is better than black, and male is better than female attitudes?

If that were the case he would have just gone republican back in 2008 too. I think the simplest explanation is that he just likes attention and taking whatever stance people are most likely to see as extreme. I wonder how common that is amongst the general voting population. The whole conforming to the side most widely perceived as rebellious thing.

A rebellious conformist?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
28-09-2016, 08:59 AM
(28-09-2016 08:48 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(28-09-2016 07:34 AM)yakherder Wrote:  If that were the case he would have just gone republican back in 2008 too. I think the simplest explanation is that he just likes attention and taking whatever stance people are most likely to see as extreme. I wonder how common that is amongst the general voting population. The whole conforming to the side most widely perceived as rebellious thing.

A rebellious conformist?

Interesting isn't it? When rebellious is a prevalent state conformity requires rebellious. This is easily demonstrated by teenagers.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-09-2016, 10:31 AM
(28-09-2016 08:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-09-2016 07:59 AM)BnW Wrote:  I think Trump sucks, but I have zero illusions that Hillary Clinton is going to do anything but take every penny she can from me and drive me into massive debt as my kids go off to college in a few years.

Because you going into debt is not under your control in any way, and if you do go into debt it will definitely be her fault. Rolleyes

How, precisely, will she achieve this? Tax you more?

That's exactly it. According to everything I've read about the subject, Clinton's plan raises taxes on all income brackets and Trump's lowers taxes on all income brackets. (good article here http://time.com/money/4405149/clinton-an...ome-level/ )

I saw something on social media where a guy did the math and says he'll lose over a million dollars over 30 years under Clinton's plan. (Compared to the savings under Trump's plan and putting the difference into a high interest savings account ot IRA or something like that.)

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
28-09-2016, 10:40 AM
(28-09-2016 10:31 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  According to everything I've read about the subject, Clinton's plan raises taxes on all income brackets and Trump's lowers taxes on all income brackets. (good article here http://time.com/money/4405149/clinton-an...ome-level/ )

That's a good slide deck. Thanks! Slide 7 sums it up nicely. Thumbsup

#sigh
28-09-2016, 10:57 AM
(28-09-2016 10:31 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I saw something on social media where a guy did the math and says he'll lose over a million dollars over 30 years under Clinton's plan. (Compared to the savings under Trump's plan and putting the difference into a high interest savings account ot IRA or something like that.)

So... over 30 years, he will benefit society in general by a million dollars? Sounds like a good plan Smile All by getting taxed just a little more.

I'll look at the slide show, just don't feel like it right now.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-09-2016, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 28-09-2016 11:07 AM by GirlyMan.)
(28-09-2016 10:31 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I saw something on social media where a guy did the math and says he'll lose over a million dollars over 30 years under Clinton's plan. (Compared to the savings under Trump's plan and putting the difference into a high interest savings account ot IRA or something like that.)

$246 a year for 30 years @5% costs $18,224.35. (Clinton)
$7731 a year for 30 years @5% yields $572,733.60. (Trump)

The problem I have with Trump's plan is that I don't believe a $500 billion revenue shortfall next year and nearly $10 trillion shortfall over the next decade is possible while still keeping bridges standing, highways safe, airports open, water and air clean, terrorists out, etc. etc. And that's not even counting the cost of $500 billion/year to the overall economy from deporting 11 million people. Does he take us for fools?

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-09-2016, 11:05 AM
The government is going to have to stop paying $200 for toilet seats and $4.5 million for artwork hanging on walls at Embassy buildings (true story).

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
28-09-2016, 11:07 AM
(28-09-2016 08:48 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(28-09-2016 07:34 AM)yakherder Wrote:  If that were the case he would have just gone republican back in 2008 too. I think the simplest explanation is that he just likes attention and taking whatever stance people are most likely to see as extreme. I wonder how common that is amongst the general voting population. The whole conforming to the side most widely perceived as rebellious thing.

A rebellious conformist?

More accurately, one who desires to be perceived as rebellious and so attempts to attain the label by aligning themselves with groups they believe fit the description. Most people who think they're rebellious wouldn't last two seconds outside the protective bubble of society.

'Murican Canadian
28-09-2016, 11:08 AM
The view from Downunder...

US Election: Post-debate antics point to more serious Donald Trump maladies.

Politico magazine's Insiders panel of 100 swing state activists from both parties gave the night to Clinton—by a 79-21 vote,
In a focus group of 21 in Pennsylvania, 16 declared Clinton a winner; only 5 went with Trump,

In Florida, 18 of 20 undecided voters corralled by CNN picked Clinton,
In Ohio, none of 29 undecided voters backed Trump,

In more general snap polling, a CNN/ORC poll found that Clinton had won 62-27,
A poll by Public Policy Polling put Clinton on top 51-40.

—At the very least, we should thank Drumpf for turning up in order to lose the debate. Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
28-09-2016, 11:12 AM
(28-09-2016 07:59 AM)BnW Wrote:  

He may have just changed his mind.

I think the Trump phenomenon is widely misrepresented. His followers aren't all racist, nationalists, and xenophobes. There are a lot of people in this country who have been left behind by the exact policy choices that Hillary Clinton endorses. I don't believe Trump will do anything for these people but Clinton certainly will not. And, lost in all the reports about his attacks on women and how vile he is are legitimate issues that address real concerns for working Americans.

In my view, the absolute worst part of the Trump candidacy is it makes it easy to just brush aside what are legitimate concerns about our government, globalization, trade deals, immigration policy, etc.

She's probably going to win and the Democrats are likely going to take the Senate and those of us in the middle class are going to continue to get squeezed by these people.

I think Trump sucks, but I have zero illusions that Hillary Clinton is going to do anything but take every penny she can from me and drive me into massive debt as my kids go off to college in a few years.

I don't think most Trump supporters are racist. The typical iq test question comes to mind. Most racists are probably trump supporters, but most Trump supporters probably aren't racists.

The race card is way overplayed lately. I think a more likely scenario is that people aren't by definition racist, they just don't understand the sociological ramifications of past racism and the role they still play in promoting racial divisions among people that don't necessarily actually have anything against one another.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post