The demise of guys

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2011, 05:12 PM
RE: The demise of guys
(05-08-2011 04:12 PM)James The Brit Wrote:  

Got showed this in one of my lessons reminds me of this thread. Sort of.

Interesting video, thank you for sharing it. But I don't see how it applies to boys being left behind in the educational system. That school suffocates independent and lateral thinking I agree, but again this has been the way the system has worked for decades, and both boys and girls use the same educational system, which again was devised initially to cater mostly to boys.
Some people have mentioned that the school system has changed to favor girls. I'd like to hear in what way.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2011, 04:17 AM
[/quote]

Interesting video, thank you for sharing it. But I don't see how it applies to boys being left behind in the educational system. That school suffocates independent and lateral thinking I agree, but again this has been the way the system has worked for decades, and both boys and girls use the same educational system, which again was devised initially to cater mostly to boys.
Some people have mentioned that the school system has changed to favor girls. I'd like to hear in what way.
[/quote]

I know it didnt cater to the thread 100% percent but i thought it was worth sharing as it is intresting to watch and is about education.

"In real life , as opposed to that happy, clappy, rainbow fantasy world that you see fit to fly through´╗┐ on your winged unicorn of delusion" - Mitchell and Webb
06-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Personally I think we are simply not caring about students anymore. This isn't a guys vs girls thing. Personally I believe that everyone learns differently. I think we place too much stock in gender roles and psychology.

Funny how you say the boys were treated to hands on approach and their grades improved, most educators believe that ALL students do much better with hands on approaches. If they did a study with both boys and girls doing traditional school work vs a hands on program, that would be more relevant.

Something like this
Control group- Traditional
boys and girls together
boys class
girls class

hands on-
boys and girls together
boys class
girls class

Funny enough I don't see the education system 'failing' but like this. More and more students go to school, from all backgrounds. It used to just be the very privileged or intelligent that went to school.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]