The departure of our dear friend Parture

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
22-06-2011, 02:32 AM
RE: The departure of our dear friend Parture
I'll miss his bullshit Smile

Well... I guess modification of the rules a a forum becomes more popular is inevitable...

I think the "too low rep ban" is a good thing but perhaps it is advisable to make sure you can only give one rep to a person at the time which you can delete later...
edit: Oops... too slow (see above)

(22-06-2011 12:32 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Does this user advocate the destruction of intercoupled rail cars?

A person of the "crashed alternate mode of transportation" variety?

Someone who would file "above ground subway accident" under an unnecessarily complex categorization system?
A mass transportation disaster?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-06-2011, 03:45 AM
Well if banning were to be caused by a high accumulation of negative points than there may need to be more of a limit on giving negative points. Some users might be abusing the ability to rep someone account, and posts... not that I would know anything about that Tongue

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
22-06-2011, 05:05 AM
Is he banned indefinitely or for a specified period of time?

My only concern is that if he is banned indefinitely then he's gonna be on every Christian forum in existence telling people that he was banned just for being a Christian and putting evidence to us that we couldn't explain and so we banned him out of spite. This could have a knock on effect of reasonable theists, who are actually open to debate, steering clear of us for fear of being instantly banned.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
22-06-2011, 05:12 AM (This post was last modified: 22-06-2011 06:01 AM by Observer.)
(22-06-2011 05:05 AM)hughsie Wrote:  This could have a knock on effect of reasonable theists, who are actually open to debate, steering clear of us for fear of being instantly banned.
I don't think it will run that fast.

Hate to see "ron's advice" being put to truth tough... Confused

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
22-06-2011, 05:26 AM
Why???
I joined this site just yesterday, because I expected to be treated to some real debates with real theists (and perhaps even atheists, despite being one myself). It saddens me to see that the most recent debate has been cancelled because... ???

I read over some of Pasture's arguments, and I didn't see anything that would earn him a ban. He wasn't breaking the forum rules. He wasn't being abusive (I can't help but note Monk's "I am going to say this. And this is all I will say to you. You are, with out a doubt, the biggest piece of shit I have ever seen comment on any forum. I have been on the internet since 1992, long before you even knew what it was. You have basically agreed with the slaughter of 3000 children for turning away from the christian god. What fucking bullshit. " - he apparently wasn't banned or even censored for personal attack). Pasture was accused of being a troll, but I don't see how anyone could start a theistic debate on this site without being guilty of that. Shouldn't this be the place to welcome trolls?

I have friends on Facebook that dropped me because I write and advertise an atheist blog. It upsets me that they can't accept me just because I have a different opinion - or in the case of God's existence, a different view of facts. I'd hate to unfriend a person just because of their view. I hope this isn't the case here. No matter how many people are "offended" by it, I believe free speech should always be supported for as long as it's fair speech (i.e. not hate speech).

-Starcrash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-06-2011, 05:48 AM (This post was last modified: 22-06-2011 05:52 AM by UnderTheMicroscope.)
RE: Why???
(22-06-2011 05:26 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  I joined this site just yesterday, because I expected to be treated to some real debates with real theists (and perhaps even atheists, despite being one myself). It saddens me to see that the most recent debate has been cancelled because... ???

I read over some of Pasture's arguments, and I didn't see anything that would earn him a ban. He wasn't breaking the forum rules. He wasn't being abusive (I can't help but note Monk's "I am going to say this. And this is all I will say to you. You are, with out a doubt, the biggest piece of shit I have ever seen comment on any forum. I have been on the internet since 1992, long before you even knew what it was. You have basically agreed with the slaughter of 3000 children for turning away from the christian god. What fucking bullshit. " - he apparently wasn't banned or even censored for personal attack). Pasture was accused of being a troll, but I don't see how anyone could start a theistic debate on this site without being guilty of that. Shouldn't this be the place to welcome trolls?

I have friends on Facebook that dropped me because I write and advertise an atheist blog. It upsets me that they can't accept me just because I have a different opinion - or in the case of God's existence, a different view of facts. I'd hate to unfriend a person just because of their view. I hope this isn't the case here. No matter how many people are "offended" by it, I believe free speech should always be supported for as long as it's fair speech (i.e. not hate speech).

-Starcrash

If you had read the threads you would know, the "debate" wasn't going anywhere, he was essentially copy-pasting the same page of bullshit over and over.
Trolls do not come to debate, they come with the intent of being assholes.
When you act like a fascist, use the same arguments ad nauseum when they have been debunked thousands of times, tell people they deserve to suffer agonizing pain for "thought crimes", and don't provide evidence for you ad nauseum assertions of course you are going to get the boot. That is not debating, if you were in a serious debate in person the moderator would most likely ask you to leave.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
22-06-2011, 06:10 AM
He was definitely deserving of being banned, we have no problem with any set of beliefs. He was spamming the forum by making basic statements and keeping three threads high in the marks. He attacked people constantly. We can't just let someone go around attacking people. I tried hard to give him a sensible debate, but he wasn't wanting a debate he was here to convince us. This site isn't supposed to be about blind faith or blind disbelief, the forum ispraised by it's users for intelligent discourse. Someone who comes in here and fills the site with bickering and nonsense ishurting the image fro the users. We have many long term members and if the religious zealots (who do not want to talk let me validate this sentence) aren't here to discuss anything then we aren't interested. There is only so much of the same thing that can be spewed before it really bothers enough of the users. Running three threads with all those responses it was obvious that he was skimming everyone's replies and just moving along. Many of us put work into giving him a good explanation with evidence often enough. He should have at least given us the respect of thoughtfully reading ours since we took the time to deliberate his views.

We should be focused on keeping the decorum in the forum. It' s not that we'll ban people for not giving valid information, it's not that we'll ban people for instigating arguments. What I say this is a sign of, is that here at TTA forum we will ban people whose actions threaten to lower the level of discourse among our forum.

You'll get plenty of theists to debate with, but please realize not all of them are this unwilling to respect others. Someone who spends half their posts describing how sinful someone else is and another third talking about how most of their own group are all liars is just not going to give us any sort of respectable discourse. We said great things in response to him yes, but that doesn't mean it felt that rewarding for us to spend all that time on words that weren't even really read by the intended recipient. Being polite on a discussion forum means giving some credence to an opposing view, if I were viewed to heavily disrupt this I would want people telling me so I could stop. I'm not here to cause trouble, and there are Christians who aren't here to just break us all up. We have better discussion opponents than those who wish only to spout their rhetoric as the one truth allowed.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
22-06-2011, 06:15 AM
Veeeeeery interesting that this Starcrash joins hours after Pasture is banned and doesn't see anything wrong with his posts....

But, I shall reserve judgement and assume you're just a normal member until you start posting "witnessed by 12 disciples who truly believed what they saw and cannot be explained by naturalistic explanations, therefore you must give your life to Christ" a mind numbing amount of times.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
22-06-2011, 06:43 AM
@Starcash

I think banning should be done with utmost care and evaluated case by case. But it was clear Parture was not here for debating but for bullying... Once your arguments are debunked and you keep repeating them, you are not debating but you are preaching. If Parture wants to do preaching Parture can find soapboxes in churches. Not here.

The thing is, ALL Christian arguments are debunked some 150 years ago. Yet some Christians think they invented warm water and can therefore piss against the wind.

I love to debate Christians but not about whether the Christian God is real. He isn't! Case closed! In 2 of his treads I Invited him to cut the crap and talk about his world vision. But looks like he rather tried to bully people into submission.

If humanity wants to prosper, It's exactly that kind attitude Parture displays we need to loose! The sooner, the better

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
22-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Here's the problem starcrash, if we couldn't ban someone just because they had christian beliefs than that would surely put everyone in a pickle now wouldn't it.
Spamming is spamming. And sometimes and asshole is just an asshole.
Parture was an asshole. A spamming asshole. Numerous members attempted genuine conversation with him only to be told they were going to hell or that they were wrong in some way he wouldn't explain, or the most common... completely ignored in favor of spamming about the witnesses over and over.
If he was an atheist I would want him gone all the same. Debate is one thing, being a dick is another. It's important to know the difference. Here's a hint, if you seriously feel done with talking and feel ready to do some punching, it might be a dick.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user