The departure of our dear friend Parture

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
22-06-2011, 12:32 PM
RE: The departure of our dear friend Parture
(22-06-2011 12:05 PM)Thammuz Wrote:  I stopped debating him a few days ago because he blindly ignored evidence, quote mined at will, threatened us and acted as an arrogant pain in the ass. He drove me to the point that I was disgusted with the forum for a few days. I'm in my pessimistic, misanthropic period now; I have these now and then.

Me too. I didn't debate very much at all actually, because he wasn't listening at all, just receiving things how he wanted to accept them, and stating his opinion as fact. All I had to do was read the first couple pages of his replies to others and I was too exhausted to even read anything else.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-06-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm going to be in the extreme minority here and say I disagree with the decision. I found his arguments to be circular, his logic to be counter-intuitive, his evidence to be, at best, suspect, and his demeanor to be arrogant and condescending. So, pretty much me every time I've had that 3rd Belvedere on the rocks.

Seriously, though, I think it was a mistake. I read some of what he wrote but ultimately decided that there was no point in engaging him and simply ignored him. That's a choice. If enough people choose to ignore him, he can then decided if he wants to stay and rant at no one or leave on his own. But, banning someone for being unpopular, or contrary, is, for me at least, never the right decision.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
22-06-2011, 01:05 PM
(22-06-2011 12:50 PM)BnW Wrote:  I'm going to be in the extreme minority here and say I disagree with the decision. I found his arguments to be circular, his logic to be counter-intuitive, his evidence to be, at best, suspect, and his demeanor to be arrogant and condescending. So, pretty much me every time I've had that 3rd Belvedere on the rocks.

Seriously, though, I think it was a mistake. I read some of what he wrote but ultimately decided that there was no point in engaging him and simply ignored him. That's a choice. If enough people choose to ignore him, he can then decided if he wants to stay and rant at no one or leave on his own. But, banning someone for being unpopular, or contrary, is, for me at least, never the right decision.

I definitely value your opinion on this one BnW. I do want to go on record by saying, I didn't ban him based on popularity or for having a contrary opinion. I banned him because he was taking a lot of space without saying anything more than a few paragraphs worth of opinion, and he was blatantly preaching hate. I'll consider it more carefully if the situation arises again though. DeepThought and I are looking at a better wayto deal with this type of thing. (See your private messages)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
22-06-2011, 01:06 PM
I don't know if he was banned for his lack of popularity, or more for his telling everyone they were going to hell constantly. Not to mention the fact that he had three threads based around the same spamming. But I see where you are coming from too. Live and let be I suppose. Which I would agree with too if only he wasn't spamming so much. I'm sure more threads would follow all with different headings and the same plot line.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-06-2011, 01:13 PM
I am sure I saw him sling some mud. I don't have time right now to go through all the pages (I could later?) but I saw him tell at least two people in the first few pages they were evil and possessed. He made accusations that people were choosing not to look at evidence (when that's the exact thing they took the time to do) and basically, if not directly, eluded that individuals (as he usually addressed each poster separately) were dumb, silly, delusional and unintelligent. When someone takes time to gather fact and evidence as well as composed opinion based on that and then has it thrown up in their face it is not only super frustrating, but hurtful too, IMO. I could sniff his arrogant tone in his replies and no one likes to be treated like that. It's why I chose not to say much more, which sucks because some of the topics were interesting and I'd have liked to discuss them. I agree that a poster shouldn't be banned for not being popular- but hurtful, yes. I didn't post because I found it (not only) redundant and that it wouldn't go anywhere, but because I saw how he was treating other posters and didn't want in on that part of the discussion. I didn't PM any moderators either because I thought maybe I was just being sensitive and too new here, but it looks like I am not the only one with those feelings.
22-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Has anyone seen this from the Atheist Experience?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXkc7ToYsTI

"username: Parture"

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
22-06-2011, 01:20 PM
In the future, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM. The other members here will attest to the fact that I will say you are being too sensitive if I think you are, but I'd rather know you have a problem and be able to explain my actions (or lack of action) than to have a member dissatisfied with the forum and me not know about it.
A new forum section has been added as well, where you can bring up these things, and only the forum staff will be able to read it. That will include Myself, DeepThought, Unbeliever, and a select few of our veteran members that are familiar with how the forum has been run in the past. You can see who these members are by viewing the Thinking Atheist "Forum Team" located on the bottom right of the forum main page.

Still working out the details, but the members will be listed soon, and hopefully it will be somewhere that people feel comfortable discussing things they'd rather not talk about publicly.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
22-06-2011, 01:22 PM
That's him alright, same old argument.

Can't believe he's a canuck. Oh brother. And his name's Troy. I would have though something so much more interesting like Biblios, Or Gravitos. You know something epic.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen ,if I may ,

please stop agonising over the expulsion of Parture
,he is a proven ,serial troll .

He is not the first and ,if this site becomes as popular as I think it will ,he certainly won’t be the last.

He was here not for any dialogues ,the ONLY thing he was interested in was his own monologues. He was not even checking our reposts ,they were of no interest to him. He has only one mission just check out his other postings they all have the same flavour ,

for your delectation ….

http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/ddd_chc8...rooks.html

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/18856-...oy-brooks/

Now Parture is a pain but he is not the worst I’ve ever come across ,check out this guy …

He is a guy named Angelo although he usually posts under the name of on or other of Noah’s children or grand children.

http://elshamah.heavenforum.org/f12-foru...-id-te-etc

This lists the Atheist ,Secular ,Rationalist web sites this guy has argued on…

I note he no longer adds to the list but I know he is still posting his same old spiel as I ran into him not 2 months ago on Rational Skeptics. It makes an interesting study for any one interested in psychology. Plus some of the reactions he gets are priceless …I recommend the American Masons or the German Hells Angels , he didn’t get past page one with either of them.

Any way check it out if you want ,but don’t be worried by banning trolls ,I agree its unfortunate but it does go with the territory.

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
[/font][/size]

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
[+] 1 user Likes watchman's post
22-06-2011, 02:42 PM
(22-06-2011 12:50 PM)BnW Wrote:  I'm going to be in the extreme minority here and say I disagree with the decision. I found his arguments to be circular, his logic to be counter-intuitive, his evidence to be, at best, suspect, and his demeanor to be arrogant and condescending. So, pretty much me every time I've had that 3rd Belvedere on the rocks.

I don't know if ignoring him would have been the right thing (or even possible, I tried ignoring him 3 times and was drawn back in by his outlandish rhetoric and pro-nuclear holocaust stance). If new members stop by and see only view the last few pages of the discussion, they'll see a theist asking questions that aren't answered and assume that since we can't answer, he must be right.

Plus we were insanely patient with him. We kept asking him questions for about 60+ posts over a 3 day span which amounted to nothing. So it seems he already didn't care about what anyone said to him, so ignoring him wouldn't have made a difference.

Maybe before banning we can have like a 30 day suspension, where they can still read the forum but are unable to post. Then when their suspension is up, if they're still around and they resume posting the same crap, the Ban Hammer comes a smashing down.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."