The departure of our dear friend Parture

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
22-06-2011, 03:02 PM
RE: The departure of our dear friend Parture
My last word on the topic and then I will let it go:

I'm not agonizing over the banning of this one guy. But, I think it was a mistake. We are all trolls on someone's message board. I've seen dozens of complaints from people, here and elsewhere, complaining about not being able to engage in a theist forum as they get instantly band. If one of us went to a Christian forum and kept throwing out the same evolution arguments to dispel the beliefs of creationists, how do you think that person would be viewed? And, when the inevitable banning came, how do you think that person would react? And what would our collective response be? I think we all know the answer to all these questions.

Of course, that's a very different situation because evolution is real and creationists are wrong. So, it's obvious why they should listen to us. Or, maybe not. Perspective can be an interesting thing.

I guess my ultimate point is that we should never fear or prevent the exchange of ideas. Even ideas that are contrary to what we believe, that are in conflict with what we know to be true, that are hateful. That's how we learn, how we grow, how we mature as people and we learn to deal with the world in which we live. There are people like Parture in all walks of life and we won't always have the option to turn them off.

Oh, and my other issue is I agreed with him on one fundamental point: I think the lot of you are going to hell too. I'll save you seat near me, right up close to the fire.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-06-2011, 03:05 PM
(22-06-2011 03:02 PM)BnW Wrote:  Oh, and my other issue is I agreed with him on one fundamental point: I think the lot of you are going to hell too. I'll save you seat near me, right up close to the fire.

Do you think satan will let me bring marshmellows?

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
22-06-2011, 03:24 PM
(22-06-2011 03:05 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  
(22-06-2011 03:02 PM)BnW Wrote:  Oh, and my other issue is I agreed with him on one fundamental point: I think the lot of you are going to hell too. I'll save you seat near me, right up close to the fire.
[Image: 61082400v7_225x225_Front.jpg]

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
22-06-2011, 03:41 PM
(22-06-2011 01:13 PM)hotrodmike Wrote:  Has anyone seen this from the Atheist Experience?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXkc7ToYsTI

"username: Parture"

LOL, so the Atheist Experience hosts had the "honor" of talking with this prick. At least he didn't start to discuss how the death of so many human beings are moraly correct by his god point od view.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Parture's follow-up video to his call. It's... interesting.

At 2:48 he cites Spock from Star Trek at proof that the argument from ignorance is valid. I have a horrible time following his logic.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
22-06-2011, 04:40 PM
(22-06-2011 03:24 PM)The_observer Wrote:  
(22-06-2011 03:05 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  
[Image: 61082400v7_225x225_Front.jpg]

.. maybe.. maybe if we gave him one?

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

[+] 1 user Likes UnderTheMicroscope's post
22-06-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm split on this. I like the idea of the forum being mostly unmoderated and people not being banned but I do think he was a bit ridiculous. Definitely was a bit early to ban him though, he'd only been a member four days or something like that, I think he deserved a bit longer.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
22-06-2011, 05:32 PM
(22-06-2011 05:26 PM)hughsie Wrote:  I'm split on this. I like the idea of the forum being mostly unmoderated and people not being banned but I do think he was a bit ridiculous. Definitely was a bit early to ban him though, he'd only been a member four days or something like that, I think he deserved a bit longer.

Hmm, I think this was the right course of action, because he was being antagonistic from the very begining, I'm not critizicing the fact that he hold certain beliefs, I'm open to discuss in a civilized way, but he instead went on ad-hominem attacks, threats, condescending attitude, endorsing murder and hatred, etc., it was because he was being an ass, he was being rude, antagonistic, condescending, insulting, bigoted, etc., I think those were reasons enough to get banned IMO.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-06-2011, 05:40 PM
(22-06-2011 05:32 PM)MasterRottweiler Wrote:  Hmm, I think this was the right course of action, because he was being antagonistic from the very begining, I'm not critizicing the fact that he hold certain beliefs, I'm open to discuss in a civilized way, but he instead went on ad-hominem attacks, threats, condescending attitude, endorsing murder and hatred, etc., it was because he was being an ass, he was being rude, antagonistic, condescending, insulting, bigoted, etc., I think those were reasons enough to get banned IMO.

I totally get where you're coming from but I don't think he was rude in the majority of his posts, only the minority. And while him spewing of shit and refusing to listen was taxing I think that, as rational people, we should put more effort into helping people like him learn how to communicate better (preachy as that sounds, I really don't mean to sound quite so up my own ass but can't think of any way to re-phrase it). You never know, maybe, with some concerted effort, he might have begun to understand the set up on here and started to adhere to it more.

And I definitely think whoever said about temporary bans to begin with was right, a permanent ban straight off the bat is a little excessive.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
22-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Hes been at it for almost 4 years, maybe more for all we know, if the thousands of other people saying the same thing, debunking the same ad-nauseum arguments, and showing him how he is wrongly interpreting and choosing evidence than we won't make any difference.
From what I remember of the episode of theatheistexperience that he was on, [correct me if I'm wrong] he said he became a christian at 33 because he found the evidence for god compelling and the "proof for atheism" lacking.
I seriously wonder if the guy had some mental trauma at that age, and if not how could he have come to the conclusion that he currently spouts... Assuming of course that story isn't an outright fabrication to score points with the weak-minded and gullible.

I also agree on temporary bans, then bring the perma-ban-hammer down on their head if they get banned a certain number of times