The departure of our dear friend Parture

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
22-06-2011, 05:53 PM
RE: The departure of our dear friend Parture
I would prefer if you all would refer to him as a troll and stop taking him seriously. Really, stop taking him seriously, he did it to piss you off.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Not trying to be offensive, but I think there was plenty of evidence provided to show this guys character. He doesn't learn, he's a repeat offender. It's not like he hadn't done anything. Saying that we should have given him more, is in my opinion ridiculous. He had so much and in so short a time. Patience is not limitless.

Whether a temporary ban or perma ban, it doesn't matter. If he really wanted he could come back, but I doubt he will. If anything else should have been done I would say a warning was in order, but maybe he got one I don't know. This guy was no troll. That was also proven. A troll has only one purpose on the internet and that is to rile people up, a troll doesn't care what it is saying as long as you don't agree with it. This guy was far beyond that. He was a believer. He believes everything he said. Despite having argued the same argument for apparently years, and having been refuted multiple times. He doesn't care what anyone else has to say, he was right. Period. There is no arguing with that. There is no common ground. Sometimes you just have to say goodbye.

And it's the moderators job to make those decisions, the painful decisions, the ones we can all judge because we didn't have to make them. I've never been a part of a community where the moderator has had to do something as such and actually explained why to the rest of the community. I appreciate that.

Uh oh I think I'm coming off as a dick. Sorry folks. Disregard all previous statements and carry on... Big GrinHeartBig GrinAngel

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-06-2011, 08:20 PM
For the record, he was warned. Twice.

Lucradis, I appreciate you saying what you did. It sucks to make those decisions, especially when not everyone agrees with how it was handled. That said, I DO want to hear from those that don't agree. My goal has always been for this forum to belong to the members, and I do my best to represent them. So if ever you guys don't agree with something, don't be afraid to speak up. None of us are perfect, and I'll make mistakes over and over again if I don't know better. It doesn't mean I'll change something, but if I feel it best represents the membership as a whole, I'll do my best to accomidate.

Now quitcherbitchin before I ban all your asses!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
22-06-2011, 08:28 PM (This post was last modified: 22-06-2011 08:49 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-06-2011 11:11 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Well, I've finally gone and done it. I have, for the first time ever, banned someone.

You have popped your cherry and will suffer eternal damnation unless you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour. ... What's that? ... No you don't need to do it right this second, you have until your last breath.

(21-06-2011 11:11 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  ......then again, maybe the guy was just a big enough asshole to get his ass booted from a site that doesn't believe in moderating. Now THAT'S an acomplishment......

Allahu Akbar! And he shall receive 2 extra virgins in paradise for his righteousness. ... wait, I think I'm confusing the twins again.

(22-06-2011 05:53 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  I would prefer if you all would refer to him as a troll and stop taking him seriously.

Might've been a troll, might've been the death throes of ignorance and the birth of an atheist. "If I just keep saying it over and over again to as many people as I can as often as I can maybe I'll start believing it again." No biggie either way.

(22-06-2011 05:53 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  Really, stop taking him seriously, he did it to piss you off.

Didn't work.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
22-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Since a lot of discussion happened while I was away, I've moderated many forums and making banning decisions is not always fun (sometimes the whole forum is excited for them). But there is a need for banning from time to time. If we just let people get away with being disruptive and angry (trolling) then we stand to lose a lot more members than this one annoying one. Sometimes you have to weed out your garden if you want to see a good yield. We have had enough well known forum members leave just based on the regular members. If we do end up growing a lot these decisions will come up more often. Also, where is that guy who periodically posts the long string of links and photos?

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
22-06-2011, 09:29 PM
(22-06-2011 09:17 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Also, where is that guy who periodically posts the long string of links and photos?

I remove him a couple times a week. Slowing down though.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
23-06-2011, 03:54 AM
RE: Why???
(22-06-2011 05:26 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  I joined this site just yesterday, because I expected to be treated to some real debates with real theists (and perhaps even atheists, despite being one myself). It saddens me to see that the most recent debate has been cancelled because... ???

I read over some of Pasture's arguments, and I didn't see anything that would earn him a ban. He wasn't breaking the forum rules. He wasn't being abusive (I can't help but note Monk's "I am going to say this. And this is all I will say to you. You are, with out a doubt, the biggest piece of shit I have ever seen comment on any forum. I have been on the internet since 1992, long before you even knew what it was. You have basically agreed with the slaughter of 3000 children for turning away from the christian god. What fucking bullshit. " - he apparently wasn't banned or even censored for personal attack). Pasture was accused of being a troll, but I don't see how anyone could start a theistic debate on this site without being guilty of that. Shouldn't this be the place to welcome trolls?

I have friends on Facebook that dropped me because I write and advertise an atheist blog. It upsets me that they can't accept me just because I have a different opinion - or in the case of God's existence, a different view of facts. I'd hate to unfriend a person just because of their view. I hope this isn't the case here. No matter how many people are "offended" by it, I believe free speech should always be supported for as long as it's fair speech (i.e. not hate speech).

-Starcrash

You will be able to debate theists on here. I think that Parture is the first person to be banned.

I think Ghost is a theist, he might be a good person for you to debate.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
23-06-2011, 05:58 AM
And here comes ghost to argue about how no one ever respects his neutral stance =p Ghost is agnostic with a very specific middle ground view. I find it a bit weird to have such a judicial agnostic. He's just here to chastise us when we go too harsh on the religious =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
23-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Starcrash: Parture wasn't debating. He was just repeating the same lines over and over again while ignoring the questions he couldn't answer without exposing the flaws in his position. He was using theist arguments that were soundly debunked long before he started to regurgitate them. The majority of people on this forum have moved well beyond the point he was stuck at; we've heard it all before, dismissed it as nonsense (with good reason, not just as a matter of opinion) and want to discuss something relevant. Parture refused to let any of the discussions move forward, because he refused to acknowledge the most pertinent questions being asked of him, or gave completely nonsensical answers to them. I haven't even read half the stuff he posted because it was all the same old bullshit. And like any immature theist who runs out of pat answers or Bible quotes to spout, he turned to damning everyone to hell. Which is about the time any rational atheist pulls the plug on the "debate" because there is no moving forward from that point. As Lilith says, there are theists and theist-friendly agnostics on this forum who can and will debate you, with a whole lot more intelligence and maturity than Parture was capable of. His riddance falls into the "good" category.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
26-06-2011, 09:43 PM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2011 10:26 PM by Mark Fulton.)
(23-06-2011 10:53 AM)hotrodmike Wrote:  Starcrash: Parture wasn't debating. He was just repeating the same lines over and over again while ignoring the questions he couldn't answer without exposing the flaws in his position. He was using theist arguments that were soundly debunked long before he started to regurgitate them. The majority of people on this forum have moved well beyond the point he was stuck at; we've heard it all before, dismissed it as nonsense (with good reason, not just as a matter of opinion) and want to discuss something relevant. Parture refused to let any of the discussions move forward, because he refused to acknowledge the most pertinent questions being asked of him, or gave completely nonsensical answers to them. I haven't even read half the stuff he posted because it was all the same old bullshit. And like any immature theist who runs out of pat answers or Bible quotes to spout, he turned to damning everyone to hell. Which is about the time any rational atheist pulls the plug on the "debate" because there is no moving forward from that point. As Lilith says, there are theists and theist-friendly agnostics on this forum who can and will debate you, with a whole lot more intelligence and maturity than Parture was capable of. His riddance falls into the "good" category.

Very well said, I totally agree! Pasture wasn't genuinely addressing issues and not genuinely interested in what anyone else had to say. He knew it all, and was on the forum for the sole reason it made him feel good lecturing the world about his version of reality. He deserved to get kicked off, not because he was a theist, but because he had zero ability to listen to others.

(26-06-2011 09:43 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(23-06-2011 10:53 AM)hotrodmike Wrote:  Starcrash: Parture wasn't debating. He was just repeating the same lines over and over again while ignoring the questions he couldn't answer without exposing the flaws in his position. He was using theist arguments that were soundly debunked long before he started to regurgitate them. The majority of people on this forum have moved well beyond the point he was stuck at; we've heard it all before, dismissed it as nonsense (with good reason, not just as a matter of opinion) and want to discuss something relevant. Parture refused to let any of the discussions move forward, because he refused to acknowledge the most pertinent questions being asked of him, or gave completely nonsensical answers to them. I haven't even read half the stuff he posted because it was all the same old bullshit. And like any immature theist who runs out of pat answers or Bible quotes to spout, he turned to damning everyone to hell. Which is about the time any rational atheist pulls the plug on the "debate" because there is no moving forward from that point. As Lilith says, there are theists and theist-friendly agnostics on this forum who can and will debate you, with a whole lot more intelligence and maturity than Parture was capable of. His riddance falls into the "good" category.

Very well said, I totally agree! Pasture wasn't genuinely addressing issues and not genuinely interested in what anyone else had to say. He knew it all, and was on the forum for the sole reason it made him feel good lecturing the world about his version of reality. He deserved to get kicked off, not because he was a theist, but because he had zero ability to listen to others.

ps. It was obvious right from his first day on the forum he was here to vent and cause trouble, not to discuss.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user