The difference between Atheism and Realism is that Atheism is about what isn't real.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2014, 10:27 AM
RE: The difference between Atheism and Realism is that Atheism is about what isn't real.
(02-11-2014 10:12 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  And now for some mysterious reason I find myself craving cured pork products...

http://baconipsum.com/ - you're welcome.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
02-11-2014, 11:47 AM
The difference between Atheism and Realism is that Atheism is about what isn't real.
(01-11-2014 08:56 PM)Reality-Seeker Wrote:  Yes it is true that there is no God, but so what? There are a lot of things I don't believe in that don't exist so why is not believing in God any more important than not believing in Spider Man? God doesn't exist and God is therefore not important.
Taken in isolation, you are correct, but it's not in isolation in reality. In reality, many people do believe in god(s) and their actions block reality for their followers and seek to block rights even for non-followers; and sometimes they even succeed. This is the reason it's not only important, but vital, to focus on educating people about how we know the earthly-conceived gods do not exist and why there is no evidence currently supporting the existence of any deities.

(01-11-2014 08:56 PM)Reality-Seeker Wrote:  Atheists are doing important but limited work in making the point against a very big myth but Atheism is at best just the first step in awakening to the wonders of reality.
(01-11-2014 08:56 PM)Reality-Seeker Wrote:  Once you figure out God doesn't exist, what do you do next? The next step is to figure out what does exists. Realism is the next logical step in the evolution of Atheism.
Without beliefs in god(s), atheism has no reason to exist at all. When the myths of gods no longer exist, atheism will be done. It is the job of science, archeology, history, etc. to figure out and expound upon what else there is in reality.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
02-11-2014, 11:47 AM
RE: The difference between Atheism and Realism is that Atheism is about what isn't real.
Wait a minute - Chas pulled an Earmuffs. That's new. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
02-11-2014, 11:51 AM
(02-11-2014 11:47 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Wait a minute - Chas pulled an Earmuffs. That's new. Tongue

It can't be good.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-11-2014, 12:16 PM
(02-11-2014 11:47 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Wait a minute - Chas pulled an Earmuffs. That's new. Tongue

It's the rapture, the prophecy has been fulfilled!
Angel
02-11-2014, 12:26 PM
(02-11-2014 10:07 AM)Logisch Wrote:  This is all I see when someone pasts a giant wall of copy pasta instead of presenting their own argument:

Bacon ipsum dolor amet bacon shankle jowl doner tenderloin shoulder short loin t-bone chicken meatball, salami beef ribs drumstick pork. Biltong filet mignon ribeye, turducken ham hock venison boudin spare ribs chicken short loin flank. Leberkas tenderloin flank frankfurter, brisket ball tip sirloin doner swine. Beef pork chop kevin t-bone leberkas capicola boudin swine brisket pork chuck turkey pancetta.

Ham frankfurter swine meatloaf. Bacon capicola porchetta tri-tip hamburger. Bresaola pork loin salami, shankle frankfurter doner short ribs ribeye. Ground round andouille ball tip pork belly strip steak. Pork belly ground round jerky capicola frankfurter, tri-tip porchetta cow shank strip steak pork fatback hamburger.

Shank shoulder pancetta, rump corned beef andouille flank pork loin swine doner turkey prosciutto. Pancetta filet mignon bresaola drumstick andouille chuck landjaeger cow venison ham hock tail frankfurter swine shoulder pork chop. Chuck meatloaf sausage pork chop, beef ribs tongue ham hock ribeye fatback sirloin jowl pork belly. Bacon pork chop frankfurter, turducken swine pig beef.

Filet mignon jowl brisket rump bacon biltong pig. Rump doner drumstick pig, turkey ribeye hamburger. Ham hock strip steak beef, swine pork chop pork corned beef hamburger. Pig ground round jowl pork loin tri-tip short loin. Short ribs flank salami spare ribs tri-tip kielbasa frankfurter tenderloin meatball capicola meatloaf sausage pastrami. Swine pancetta chicken pork belly kielbasa beef ribeye, biltong prosciutto turducken shankle short ribs ground round pig. Drumstick ham salami spare ribs flank venison ball tip tail boudin leberkas chicken sausage shoulder frankfurter turducken.

Bresaola frankfurter kielbasa pig, shankle pork chop jerky short loin turducken boudin pork ribeye salami t-bone. Brisket pork chop fatback, pork belly t-bone beef strip steak tongue boudin shankle ribeye. Ham frankfurter kevin, jowl beef ribs landjaeger filet mignon shoulder tenderloin doner hamburger tongue. Sirloin tail meatloaf, kevin pork belly tri-tip bacon ground round shankle flank. Shoulder tenderloin pork chop, pastrami leberkas hamburger ham hock brisket prosciutto pancetta kevin ham pig bresaola pork. Pastrami landjaeger turducken boudin ribeye drumstick fatback meatloaf flank kevin andouille.

I can sink my teeth into that. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
02-11-2014, 12:31 PM
(01-11-2014 09:57 PM)Reality-Seeker Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 09:46 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I actually don't identify myself as an atheist. I prefer to identify myself with what I believe rather than what I don't believe in. I identify myself as an Objectivist. Atheism is not my worldview. It is a consequence of my beliefs in objective reality, reason as my only guide to action and life as my standard of value. So I guess you could call me a realist although I prefer Objectivist. Smile

I agree 100%. This is why i really like the idea of "an atheist religion" , To fight fire with fire. Theists are very organized and have a lot of political pull. There are a lot of athiests out there but we are not united in an organized fashion like the theists are. Ive been following the church of reality for about a year. I agree with most of their principles and like that they are trying to change things logically. Starting from where we are not where we want to be. They have very few rules and are very inclusive. They demand skepticism.

That's going to be hard because atheists run the gamut on what they believe. I think what we should all do as atheists is to be advocates of reason. If there was such a thing as an atheist religion then it should be the commitment to reason as the only guide to knowledge and action.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
02-11-2014, 12:39 PM
(02-11-2014 12:31 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 09:57 PM)Reality-Seeker Wrote:  I agree 100%. This is why i really like the idea of "an atheist religion" , To fight fire with fire. Theists are very organized and have a lot of political pull. There are a lot of athiests out there but we are not united in an organized fashion like the theists are. Ive been following the church of reality for about a year. I agree with most of their principles and like that they are trying to change things logically. Starting from where we are not where we want to be. They have very few rules and are very inclusive. They demand skepticism.

That's going to be hard because atheists run the gamut on what they believe. I think what we should all do as atheists is to be advocates of reason. If there was such a thing as an atheist religion then it should be the commitment to reason as the only guide to knowledge and action.

Who's reason?Drinking Beverage

Truth seeker.
02-11-2014, 12:46 PM
(02-11-2014 12:39 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 12:31 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  That's going to be hard because atheists run the gamut on what they believe. I think what we should all do as atheists is to be advocates of reason. If there was such a thing as an atheist religion then it should be the commitment to reason as the only guide to knowledge and action.

Who's reason?Drinking Beverage

There are many people named Reason, you'll need to be more specific.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-11-2014, 01:40 PM
I know Tim Reason, but I'm sure he's a Baptist.

I'm not sure why as an atheist I have to fill a gap of something in which I don't believe. To me that's like saying I need to fill the gap left by my not being Austrian.

I agree that I'm an atheist because I'm a realist. I still don't see why there should be a huge schism between the two. I'd wager that the majority of atheists consider themselves realists in some form. After all, we looked at the superstitions and fairy tales, couldn't find realistic explanations and therefore dropped whatever belief(s) we had.

And as a personal opinion, I don't know if I'd lump atheism as a purely negative thing. Sure we say something doesn't exist or isn't likely, but that's semantics. That's like saying I don't have cancer, so I'm being negative.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post