The difference between Atheism and Realism is that Atheism is about what isn't real.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2014, 10:16 PM
RE: The difference between Atheism and Realism is that Atheism is about what isn't real.
(01-11-2014 10:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 09:46 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I actually don't identify myself as an atheist. I prefer to identify myself with what I believe rather than what I don't believe in. I identify myself as an Objectivist. Atheism is not my worldview. It is a consequence of my beliefs in objective reality, reason as my only guide to action and life as my standard of value. So I guess you could call me a realist although I prefer Objectivist. Smile

You keep using the word "belief".
Define it.
Define "objective reality".
Atheism is not an "identity".
It's one position with respect to one idea that is dismissed, and some of us don't even use the word, as there is no coherent definition of a god, that is worth dismissing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Glad to.

Belief: Acceptance that a statement conforms to reality or that something exists. I don't accept that the statement that "God exists" conforms to reality. I don't believe God exists.

Objective reality: The realm of objects that obtain independently of conscious activity. The beloved, large, old tree at the end of my sidewalk is a part of objective reality. When I'm not looking at it or thinking about it, it is still there. The fact that it is slowly dying after having been struck by lightning a couple of years ago is a part of objective reality. No matter how much I wish it hadn't been struck or wasn't dying, the fact remains that it did get struck and is dying and will soon have to be cut down which will be a really sad day. After it is gone, no amount of wishing, praying, pleading or foot stamping will bring it back.

I agree with you that atheism isn't an identity, which is why I don't identify myself by it. I am atheist but that is not my worldview. It is a position on a single issue. Many people do treat atheism as a worldview or philosophy but the lack of belief in gods entails no other beliefs. That is why the idea of atheism as a religion is so silly.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2014, 08:03 AM
RE: The difference between Atheism and Realism is that Atheism is about what isn't real.
(02-11-2014 10:16 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I agree with you that atheism isn't an identity, which is why I don't identify myself by it. I am atheist but that is not my worldview. It is a position on a single issue. Many people do treat atheism as a worldview or philosophy but the lack of belief in gods entails no other beliefs. That is why the idea of atheism as a religion is so silly.

Indeed. That's why it's ridiculous to get involved in long arguments with theists about atheism and morality. One is completely unrelated to the other. It's a theist trap and we often fall into it and get involved in these seemingly endless debates about atheism and morality. Nobody would ever get involved in a long debate with somebody who said "If you don't believe in fairies you have no morals." The idiocy of that claim is just as stupid as the "no morals without belief in deities" claim. Yet we constantly allow ourselves to get caught up in the latter argument. Atheism is a position on one issue, and nothing more.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
03-11-2014, 09:54 AM
OP sounds like a cultist to me.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
03-11-2014, 12:35 PM
(02-11-2014 02:40 AM)Reality-Seeker Wrote:  To avoid confusion and misconceptions, here is a list of things that the Church of Reality is not.
Why go to church? Why claim to belong to a religion?
What is it that you do religiously?
28-09-2015, 10:52 AM
I am somewhat in agreement with your assertion that there is a difference between Atheism and Realism but the flaw in the ointment is that Atheism is real, it exists. I also have a problem with you proclaiming we are the Church of Reality. A church is a religious entity and religion is the creator of false Gods. A true Realist is not of a religion because that would make the Realist a religious propagandist like all other religions. My question is, are you of a religion or are you of other worldliness? Lose the church, keep reality, don’t be a missionary for your cause and you will be a true Realist. If you are looking for reality, please check out my blog.
http://www.reality-ibelieve.blogspot.com
28-09-2015, 11:37 AM
I can be theist and realist at the same time. I accept all the truth that realist accepts. But as theist I have advantage. I have what realists have + more: I have Spirit of God with me. Feeling Spirit and being taught by Spirit is also something real (at least to me).

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
28-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Laugh out load

Amusing.

Having 'Reailty' plus 'Making stuff up'.

Laugh out load
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
28-09-2015, 01:02 PM
(28-09-2015 10:52 AM)My Reality Wrote:  A true Realist...

le sigh.

[Image: DiFjMRF.jpg]

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
29-09-2015, 09:20 AM
RE: The difference between Atheism and Realism is that Atheism
(28-09-2015 11:37 AM)Alla Wrote:  I can be theist and realist at the same time. I accept all the truth that realist accepts. But as theist I have advantage. I have what realists have + more: I have Spirit of God with me. Feeling Spirit and being taught by Spirit is also something real (at least to me).

[Image: Extreme-Irony.gif]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
29-09-2015, 06:18 PM
Lets talk about the difference between this apple on the table and me not believing that my good friend is the crown prince of Norway.

For someone to even try to compare these two is someone with a serious agenda.

This isn't someone who wants you to think critically.
This is someone who is using religious tactics to target people.

You're being manipulated and you don't even realize it.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results