The difference between "Cults", "Religion", and "Spirituality".

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2015, 06:26 PM
The difference between "Cults", "Religion", and "Spirituality".
As far as I'm concerned all three are synonyms. You could also throw in "delusions", "wishful thinking" and "whackadoodles" into the pool as well.

But, the devout insist that it's otherwise - so, in deference to them - I'm going to give it a try and show the "differences" between cults, religion and spirituality.....

Cults - are those people down the road who you feel are morons - for being such weak minded people who will believe in absolutely anything, with no evidence at all...... They're going straight to hell, with the atheists, the apostates and anyone who won't listen to "reason".

Religion - is what the ordinary people have. These are the people who "God" considers second string. Sure, they'll go to heaven -- but they'll be the ones emptying the trash cans and cleaning up after the big boys --- which brings us to ---

Spirituality --- which is what YOU and the people who go to YOUR church have. You've got it all perfect - and God smiles when you fart...... You'll be the ones making the rules in the afterlife..... Ain't you special????

Hobo

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2015, 06:48 PM
RE: The difference between "Cults", "Religion", and "Spirituality".
I think spirituality can mean someone who is not religious but believes in a higher force or the kind of spirituality without supernatural components like Sam Harris proposes.

Sometimes I have trouble distinguishing religions from cults. Catholics think Islam is a cult, and Islam thinks Christianity is a cult, so who's the true cult?

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
13-03-2015, 06:52 PM
The best definition I ever heard was that in a cult there's somebody at the center of it that knows that it is bullshit while in a religion that guy is dead.

Spirituality seems to mean whatever anybody wants it to mean. I have yet to hear a workable definition that ties to anything real.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
13-03-2015, 08:30 PM
[Image: Help-us-achieve-our-goal.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 7 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
13-03-2015, 09:08 PM
(13-03-2015 06:26 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  As far as I'm concerned all three are synonyms.

In fact, there is a technical difference between a cult and a religion... at least a distinction is made from a US Law perspective...

A cult pays tax!

Spirituality? That's just cult-lite ... the homeopathy of woo.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
13-03-2015, 11:35 PM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2015 11:42 PM by Ace.)
cult, religion and spirituality

In a cult there's a person at the very top who knows its all bullshit
In a religion that guy is dead
In spirituality, they have nonsense which they attribute to the above by people who belong to the above
13-03-2015, 11:47 PM
(13-03-2015 11:35 PM)Ace Wrote:  cult, religion and spirituality

In a cult there's a person at the very top who knows its all bullshit
In a religion that guy is dead
In spirituality, they have nonsense which they attribute to the above by people who belong to the above

There seems to be an echo in here.

Undecided

13-03-2015, 11:47 PM
Well cult is one of the four C's of religion. Cult, Creed, Community and code. When defining religion, I like to think of it as similar to its etymological root. That being to join a monastary. As such a religion refers to more than just beliefs but also practices and culture.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc