2. All omni characteristics

3. Any god's existence

Here's my hit list of ad-hoc hypotheses:

1. God starting the big bang

2. Intelligent design

3. Any goddidit explanation

4. Suffering/evil having a purpose

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
23-08-2016, 05:35 AM
RE: The difference between Science and pseudoscience
I'm a fan of the BBC's "The Infinite Monkey Cage" on Radio Four. I think - not that it matters - that it was a guest on one of this particular show's episodes who said that he thought that much of the New Cosmology, if not outright pseudoscience, is at least unfalsifiable to the degree that it is a sort of self-enclosed, self-referring world of mathematicians devising ever more arcane equations that can neither be proved nor disproved. As an erstwhile fan of "string theory" and the idea of parallel universes and extra dimensions, I found it at first disappointing to have to acknowledge the validity of this point, but I think it's justified. I'm not even sure what, if any, confirmations this sort of mathematician/physicist community has bothered looking for. Maybe they know they're not going to find anything.

Einstein's equation linking matter and energy has been simplified to E = mc² by the elimination of variables representing tiny quantities. But at least it is falsifiable, and it has been substantiated by irrefutable evidence from the mass changes in nuclear fission. Can String Theorists say the same about their 'discoveries'. Anyone know?
[+] 3 users Like Gert Heide's post
03-09-2017, 09:24 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2017 09:29 PM by JesuisSean.)
I have been baffled with the war going on between different definitions of Science and Pseudoscience. This led from a personal experience. I started by wanting a better understanding of "Motion". I had no physics education, so I had to start from scratch. The final outcome of my analysis of motion was my deriving of all of the Special Relativity mathematical equations, along with deriving all of the Lorentz Transformation equations.

However, since my methods were unique, the whole thing was typically classified as nothing but Pseudoscience. Everything my version of the SR theory predicts, is the same as what Einstein's version predicts.

Click on YouTube to get to the remaining 2 - 9 videos.

So sometimes the war that determines whether something is to be put under the title of Science or Pseudoscience, seems to be due to nothing but a majority vote.

This is no different than once saying that the world was flat because clearly the majority saw it that way.
[+] 1 user Likes JesuisSean's post
03-09-2017, 10:10 PM
Do you know what they call alternative medicine that works?

Medicine.

It's like that, but science.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]