The doomsdayer at my work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2012, 12:59 PM
The doomsdayer at my work
At the nightly meeting where I work, the manager brought up an employee that had been fired a year or two before. He had come in yesterday handing out handwritten pamphlets about the end of the world to the manage and customers. Here it is:

[Image: ptdc0062.jpg]

What's odd is that, according to management, the guy fought in the Vietnam war, had a doctorate in physics, held a professorship, and worked for the government years ago. But he started to spiral into madness at some point, which surely caused him to be let go from his government job. I'm assuming the only reason such an intelligent person as him would be working at my place of employment is because they were the only people who would hire him. The management said that they used to get complaints from customers because he would freak them out by ranting about religion or conspiracy theories, or that he smelled horribly. They told him to bathe and to put on deodorant, but he wouldn't because he claimed that the government purposely put toxins in personal hygiene products. They eventually had to fire him.

I initially had a good laugh while reading the pamphlet, but the more I thought about it, the sadder the reality of the situation became. I found it sad that someone who was obviously once brilliant had succumbed to some post-traumatic stress disorder or mental illness. I honestly don't remember the guy, but I wish I had known him better. Being a veteran myself, I feel a duty to find this guy and get him help. A lot of vets don't realize that they have access to medication and therapy. The only problem is that my work doesn't give out personal info.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2012, 01:13 PM
RE: The doomsdayer at my work
You can probably find some info out by asking coworkers in a conversational manner. Like...did you know this guy? What was he like when he worked here...then on to...was he married, did he live near or commute...etc.
It's admirable that you want to help but be careful...

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
18-03-2012, 01:22 PM
If he is paranoid about deodorant he is likely paranoid about meds...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
18-03-2012, 02:17 PM
I also think its admirable that you want to help him......... but I agree with anjelle that you have to be carefull.

If he is going to the effort and time of making and distributing these leaflets then obv in his world they are very real threats and dangers. Tread carefully as he may not want your help.

You can only offer 50%..... the rest has to come from him.

If you imagine yourself in his shoes how would you feel if somebody came along and wanted to "help" you with your belief systems. How do you think you would take it???

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
18-03-2012, 03:45 PM
(18-03-2012 01:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  If he is paranoid about deodorant he is likely paranoid about meds...

And probably even more paranoid at someone trying to help him ... volunteer at a soup kitchen or homeless shelter instead.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
20-03-2012, 08:27 PM
I've already tried to learn more about the guy, but there are very few people still working at my place of employment who actually remember him. Of those few, none were on close speaking terms with him because he was so weird. I think this was the first time that he has been back in like two years. Regarding his distrust of help and medicine, I have already thought about this. I realize if I could ever track the guy down, there is no way that I could introduce myself without arousing suspicions. I might have been able to ingratiate myself to him if we worked together on a daily basis, but that is impossible now. I just feel really bad knowing that guy is out there somewhere.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user