The earth. Fixed and immovable?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2010, 02:42 PM
RE: The earth. Fixed and immovable?
(15-10-2010 02:25 AM)Kikko Wrote:  
(14-10-2010 03:49 PM)MasterRottweiler Wrote:  
(08-10-2010 06:40 PM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  You know when you guys hate it when someone says "you have to take it in context"? Guess what I'm about to say?

Tell me where in the Bible it says this, and I will point out that every place where it says this is within a psalm, which is music and poetry. And good thing we have artistic license in poetry, or Shakespeare's Sonnet 18 would simply say: "I think you're awesome."

If my memory serves me correctly there is a verse in the psalm No.96 "the world is firmly established, it cannot be moved" something lie that, Its been a long time since I read the book of psalms so please correct me if I'm wrong. Peace.

In psalms it's not god or Jesse speaking, they're songs made by people.

Yes, you are right, psalms are chants made by people... like the rest of the bible, and like the rest of the man-made bible, it only shows what the ancients thought about earth's nature.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2010, 12:51 AM
(07-10-2010 05:37 AM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  This is a question to anyone in here with a better understanding of physics than I have.

The bible claims that the earth is "fixed and immovable", presumably meaning that the earth stays perfectly still while the universe moves around us. However implausible it seams that we should happen to be at the exact center of the universe, is it strictly speaking impossible? Would it not look the same to us whether the universe moved around us, or we through it?

Please educate me. Undecided

I remembered reading about a very large cannon used by the German military in World War One that had to be aimed with the calculation of forty miles for earth's rotation while the artillery shell was in flight.

Also, rockets launched into orbit are sent east because the rotation of the earth will give it up to a 1,000 mile per hour boost, depending on how far from the equator the launch site is. Going north or south loses the boost and going west loses the boost and gains a deficit.

In other words, when launching four rockets from the equator in four directions, in order for all of the rockets to reach orbital velocity:
The north and south bound rockets need to accelerate 1,000 mph. faster than the eastbound rocket.
The west bound rocket needs to accelerate 2,000 mph. faster than the east bound rocket.
Find all posts by this user
07-11-2010, 05:15 AM

(15-10-2010 04:55 AM)2buckchuck Wrote:  According to the "Flat-Earth Bible":

1 Chronicles 16:30: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable.”
Psalm 93:1: “Thou hast fixed the earth immovable and firm ...”
Psalm 96:10: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable ...”
Psalm 104:5: “Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken.”
Isaiah 45:18: “...who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast...”

See: http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/febible.htm

Sorry, Barley - if the psalms are simply lyrical songs/poetry and can be rationalized away as "artistic license" then what are they doing in the bible? Why not put the lyrics to Black Sabbath and Bob Dylan songs into the bible, instead? Those are artistic works, aren't they?

Either everything in the bible is the holy writ of your favorite deity or it isn't. Furthermore, it seems your understanding that all biblical references to an immobile Earth appear only within the psalms is wrong.

Might i mention that these are all songs and praises to god made by people BEFORE Copernicus said the earth moved they had no idea that the earth moved and i haven't found a verse in the bible that says GOD says the earth is fixed.
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2010, 09:42 AM

(07-11-2010 05:15 AM)Emperor Paradox Wrote:  

Psalm 104:5: “Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken.”
Isaiah 45:18: “...who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast...”

Sorry, Barley - if the psalms are simply lyrical songs/poetry and can be rationalized away as "artistic license" then what are they doing in the bible? Why not put the lyrics to Black Sabbath and Bob Dylan songs into the bible, instead? Those are artistic works, aren't they?

Either everything in the bible is the holy writ of your favorite deity or it isn't. Furthermore, it seems your understanding that all biblical references to an immobile Earth appear only within the psalms is wrong.

Might i mention that these are all songs and praises to god made by people BEFORE Copernicus said the earth moved they had no idea that the earth moved and i haven't found a verse in the bible that says GOD says the earth is fixed.

That's the point. The people who wrote the Bible had no conception of modern science. Modern science makes religion irrelevant.
07-11-2010, 11:48 PM

(07-11-2010 09:42 AM)TruthAddict Wrote:  

That's the point. The people who wrote the Bible had no conception of modern science. Modern science makes religion irrelevant.

Many scientists said there were 9 planets in the solar system and we now have only 8. does this mean that the scientist who said there were 9 should be ignored by modern scientists along with all their discoveries.
07-11-2010, 11:55 PM
(07-11-2010 11:48 PM)Emperor Paradox Wrote:  Many scientists said there were 9 planets in the solar system and we now have only 8. does this mean that the scientist who said there were 9 should be ignored by modern scientists along with all their discoveries.

The designation process of what makes a planet by scientific standards was reviewed and altered. This new standard put Pluto into a different catagory, it did not mean that Pluto didn't exist.

Many people claim that the bible is the word of god. Does this mean that god does not know that the world is in motion? Or does it mean that the bible is a bunch of fictional stories written by bronze age and iron age men?
08-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Unlike religion, science is open-minded to new discoveries, theories, etc, and unlike religion science is not arrogant enough to say that things are what they are because they said so, empirical evidence is the key of science.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2010, 04:38 PM

So if it's not a direct quote from god, the biblical text is essentially horse manure? I thought that god was responsible for all the bible, not just the parts where s/he/it is speaking directly! You're backpedaling pretty hard to avoid the inevitable, here.
09-11-2010, 02:33 AM
(08-11-2010 04:38 PM)2buckchuck Wrote:  s/he/it

That is a good way to cover all bases of what god might be. Tongue How do you pronouce that?
09-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Did God/Jesus/Emperor Paradox ever say that the bible is completely the word of God?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.