The earth is not alive...no really, it's not

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2014, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2014 08:44 PM by Rahn127.)
The earth is not alive...no really, it's not
So I'm driving home from work with my younger brother and out of the blue he says....

"All this oil drilling and mining around the world, it's no wonder there are more earthquakes and sink holes happening. The earth is alive and responding to all the damage we are doing to it."

I replied "Hold up, the earth isn't alive."
He says "Of course it's alive, anything that has life growing on it is alive."

My mind is blown at this point because I've known my brother for as long as he's been alive and this level of craziness has never been uttered before.

I reply "No, no & no. The earth is a planet. Plants, trees, etc grow in soil, water or wherever it's possible for them to grow. Rocks aren't alive. Earthquakes happen due to tectonic plates shifting. Those plates aren't alive. They are moving according to the laws of physics. Sink holes again, aren't alive. Do I really need to explain this ?"

He continues on, well we don't really know do we ? I mean, when you remove some element from the ground, it can effect the whole world. That to me would seem to show that it's alive."

Mind blown for second time

Me-"Mining an element, like gold for instance, from the ground, can have an effect on the surrounding land, but it's because of the human element. The roads we makes, the trucks we drive on those roads, the pollution from the mining process, the destruction of the land itself from the mining. All of these things can have an ill effect on the area, but I use the word ill when maybe I should use the word bad. The land itself isn't ill. It's not alive so it can't be ill the way we are ill. You can't look at coincidences and conclude life. It doesn't work that way."

He concedes the argument by changing the subject.

In much the same way, religion sees a coincidence and concludes that there must be a god.....Again NO

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2014, 09:18 PM
RE: The earth is not alive...no really, it's not
(02-12-2014 08:40 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  So I'm driving home from work with my younger brother and out of the blue he says....

"All this oil drilling and mining around the world, it's no wonder there are more earthquakes and sink holes happening. The earth is alive and responding to all the damage we are doing to it."

My mind is blown at this point because I've known my brother for as long as he's been alive and this level of craziness has never been uttered before.

I reply "No, no & no. The earth is a planet. Plants, trees, etc grow in soil, water or wherever it's possible for them to grow. Rocks aren't alive. Earthquakes happen due to tectonic plates shifting. Those plates aren't alive. They are moving according to the laws of physics. Sink holes again, aren't alive. Do I really need to explain this ?"

He continues on, well we don't really know do we ? I mean, when you remove some element from the ground, it can effect the whole world. That to me would seem to show that it's alive."

Me-"Mining an element, like gold for instance, from the ground, can have an effect on the surrounding land, but it's because of the human element. The roads we makes, the trucks we drive on those roads, the pollution from the mining process, the destruction of the land itself from the mining. All of these things can have an ill effect on the area, but I use the word ill when maybe I should use the word bad. The land itself isn't ill. It's not alive so it can't be ill the way we are ill. You can't look at coincidences and conclude life. It doesn't work that way."

In much the same way, religion sees a coincidence and concludes that there must be a god.....Again NO

Maybe he's not really your brother? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-12-2014, 09:23 PM
Sounds like The Gaia Hypothesis, your basic woo.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
02-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Wooooooow good job to you trying to break through, you made a sound argument. Holy cow... Now I have to wonder how many other people think this way Blink

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
02-12-2014, 09:26 PM
(02-12-2014 09:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-12-2014 08:40 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  So I'm driving home from work with my younger brother and out of the blue he says....

Maybe he's not really your brother? Consider

That or a sink hole swallowed his brain.
I mean not more than 10 minutes after this he says something rational.
He says "Nothing happens to you after death. You're dead. End of story. These people who think there is some heaven waiting for them are delusional."

Split personality ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
02-12-2014, 09:28 PM
(02-12-2014 09:25 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Wooooooow good job to you trying to break through, you made a sound argument. Holy cow... Now I have to wonder how many other people think this way Blink

No one should ever have to make a sound argument about whether the earth is alive or not. Smile

[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
02-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Is he alive? The world may never know.

He's been dipping into many hippie, eastern, or ff7 like world philosophies for that one to come about.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
02-12-2014, 11:00 PM
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/composition-division

Sounds like to me that is what his fallacy is.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
03-12-2014, 12:14 AM
I like the gaia hypothesis Sad

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-12-2014, 12:28 AM
I like to stab the ground with my pocket knife...just to hear the screams!