The earth is not alive...no really, it's not

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2014, 07:37 AM
RE: The earth is not alive...no really, it's not
Strictly speaking, the Gaia Hypothesis is a reasonable hypothesis about the way that negative feedback can (though, doesn't always) make apparently-unstable equilibrium stable in a robust system of many interacting factors. Though IIRC Lovelock mentioned the idea of a guiding intelligence in his original paper, that was a descriptive "almost seems as if" sort of thing rather than his actual proposal. In actuality, he was showing that no such intelligence was necessary for such a system to have the appearance of intelligent self-moderation, and thus that apparently-intelligent self-regulation of the environment could occur without the system itself actually being conscious... that is, it could happen without a supernatural element. The Gaia Hypotheses has theoretical soundness and has been shown to be present in reality, though it's more of a "sometimes" thing than an "always" thing or even an "often" thing.

It's only when you extrapolate beyond the actual hypothesis and anthropomorphize the process that it becomes woo. Which happens with distressing regularity and completely misses the point.

(Also, earthquakes and sinkholes got nothing to do with it. NONE of the examples from the OP conversation fall under the Gaia Hypothesis.)

(03-12-2014 12:28 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I like to stab the ground with my pocket knife...just to hear the screams!

Don't do that! Soil'n'green is people!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
03-12-2014, 08:02 AM
Oh man, it sucks when the "I didn't know you were this stupid" bombshell dropped by a family member. It leaves you scrambling to make a coherent argument against all the "WHAT!?" going on in your head. Sad

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
03-12-2014, 09:39 AM
(03-12-2014 12:28 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I like to stab the ground with my pocket knife...just to hear the screams!

There are tribes that routinely dig holes in the Earth and fuck it as a way of insuring a good harvest. Must be working. Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
03-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Here's your golden opportunity!

L Ron Hubbard thought tomatoes screamed when they were sliced --> Scientology ---> got rich.

Your brother thinks the Earth is alive ---> Planetology/Rockology/Earthology (pick one) ---> He'll make a fortune!

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
03-12-2014, 12:03 PM
(03-12-2014 10:24 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Here's your golden opportunity!

L Ron Hubbard thought tomatoes screamed when they were sliced --> Scientology ---> got rich.

Your brother thinks the Earth is alive ---> Planetology/Rockology/Earthology (pick one) ---> He'll make a fortune!

Mmmm... good plan, just not liking those names.

Planetology: Already a word.
Rockology: Too simplistic.
Earthology: Maybe, but.... not feeling it.

Let me suggest: Gaiatomy!

To really rake in the money, incorporate the practice of acupuncture into the religion. Acupuncture of the planet. Not every person on the planet. Of the literal planet.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
03-12-2014, 06:36 PM
(03-12-2014 12:03 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  ...
To really rake in the money, incorporate the practice of acupuncture into the religion. Acupuncture of the planet. Not every person on the planet. Of the literal planet.

Isn't that where he started?

(02-12-2014 08:40 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  So I'm driving home from work with my younger brother and out of the blue he says....

"All this oil drilling and mining around the world

Consider

03-12-2014, 06:39 PM
(03-12-2014 06:36 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 12:03 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  ...

Isn't that where he started?

(02-12-2014 08:40 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  So I'm driving home from work with my younger brother and out of the blue he says....

"All this oil drilling and mining around the world

Consider

EXACTLY.

The point (pardon the pun) is WHERE you put in those needles, er, drills. Find the Earth's chakra whatsits. Drilling in bad places, bad, good places, good.

Keep the process of identifying which is which mysterious and restricted to the inner cloister.

Focus your efforts on converting people in places like the Department of the Interior.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
03-12-2014, 06:55 PM
Can I start a belief that we should also massage the Earth by rolling around on the ground?
03-12-2014, 07:01 PM
(03-12-2014 06:55 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Can I start a belief that we should also massage the Earth by rolling around on the ground?

Don't we already have Holy Rollers? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-12-2014, 07:14 PM
[Image: rock_zpsc4ba8938.jpg]