The earth is not alive...no really, it's not

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2014, 07:52 PM
RE: The earth is not alive...no really, it's not
(03-12-2014 12:03 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 10:24 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Here's your golden opportunity!

L Ron Hubbard thought tomatoes screamed when they were sliced --> Scientology ---> got rich.

Your brother thinks the Earth is alive ---> Planetology/Rockology/Earthology (pick one) ---> He'll make a fortune!

Mmmm... good plan, just not liking those names.

Planetology: Already a word.
Rockology: Too simplistic.
Earthology: Maybe, but.... not feeling it.

Let me suggest: Gaiatomy!

To really rake in the money, incorporate the practice of acupuncture into the religion. Acupuncture of the planet. Not every person on the planet. Of the literal planet.

Gaiatomy..... Sounds like a festive appendectomy. Gaiaology, perhaps? Vowels being holy and all.....

And drilling and rolling are sacraments, yes?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2014, 08:24 PM
(03-12-2014 07:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  Don't we already have Holy Rollers? Consider

If you feel the need for logic, sure.

Smile
03-12-2014, 09:46 PM
(03-12-2014 07:52 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 12:03 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Mmmm... good plan, just not liking those names.

Planetology: Already a word.
Rockology: Too simplistic.
Earthology: Maybe, but.... not feeling it.

Let me suggest: Gaiatomy!

To really rake in the money, incorporate the practice of acupuncture into the religion. Acupuncture of the planet. Not every person on the planet. Of the literal planet.

Gaiatomy..... Sounds like a festive appendectomy. Gaiaology, perhaps? Vowels being holy and all.....

Gaia anatomy.

And yes! They are! That's why only the Faithful may be allowed to do it! Get all those heathens out of drilling! The world's oil reserves are the reward of the righteous! STOP OPPRESSING OUR RELIGION AND GIVE US OUR PETRO!
03-12-2014, 10:01 PM
(03-12-2014 09:46 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 07:52 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Gaiatomy..... Sounds like a festive appendectomy. Gaiaology, perhaps? Vowels being holy and all.....

Gaia anatomy.

And yes! They are! That's why only the Faithful may be allowed to do it! Get all those heathens out of drilling! The world's oil reserves are the reward of the righteous! STOP OPPRESSING OUR RELIGION AND GIVE US OUR PETRO!

Don't forget that the peons parishioners will have to pay up tithe for the privilege of drilling and rolling!

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
04-12-2014, 04:48 AM
I'm hoping that you pointed out to him that earthquakes and sinkholes were around for billion of years before the Earth evolved it's nasty little H. sapiens skin disease.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
10-12-2014, 07:20 AM
(03-12-2014 06:51 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 05:48 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  That's not what I was taught. (Highschool stuff though.) IIRC the common characteristics are; able to respond to external stimuli, changes state over time (grows and adapts), maintains a consistent internal temperature and able to reproduce.

*Checking* I was wrong. Disappointed in myself.

The problem is that although all those are features of life that we can clearly identify as being alive, there are other organisms which exist which may miss any one of those features. There are also systems which exhibit many of those features but which are not deemed to be alive.

For example, mules or donkeys are infertile because they are hybrids and therefore cannot reproduce yet they are clearly alive. You don't need to respond to stimuli and to adapt in order to be alive, for example a human body on life support.

You can't have a life without some form of organisation, but organisation by itself is not enough to say that something is alive. The same goes for homoeostasis and growth and maintenance. You can have a system that has many of the properties above but we still don't define them as being alive. Viruses have some of the properties listed above but don't have a metabolism of their own. Although personally speaking I think there is a case to be made that corporations could be argued as being alive.

Homoeostasis, growth and structural maintenance all depend on an existing metabolism. Metabolism though should not be restricted to just organic matter, but any system that breaks down any form of high grade free-energy able to perform lots of work into low grade free energy which cannot perform much work.

I had forgotten to respond to this.

I'm afraid I didn't find a version of the essay that wasn't "locked behind a paywall."(My miserly nature refuses to apologise. The rest of me thinks that I'm kinda a dick.)

I don't however see any way to argue with that conclusion apart from a little mental inertia on my part trying to stick to the old definition. I'm still totally going to use the old definition though: It requires less explaining and will be more widely accepted, saving time. I also have a better understanding of it than "explained to me in part by some chick on the internet."

(Under the assumption that chick isn't insulting. I'm just after a casual, feminine equivalent to dude. If it is a problem I'll go all 30's gangster on people and refer to tough dudes as chicks. See what happens.)

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.