The easy Jesus test

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2013, 08:44 AM
RE: The easy Jesus test
(04-08-2013 07:34 AM)PeterKA Wrote:  
(03-08-2013 01:45 PM)f stop Wrote:  Jesi ?

Jesii or a "Mexico"

An apocalypse of Jebuses ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2013, 08:48 AM
I think it's just "Herd of Jesus"

I hear it all the time. Until now, the homonym was messing with my head, but I get it now. When the Christies ask you, "Excuse me, friend have you herd of Jesus?" They're not asking if you have HEARD of the myth. Instead, they are asking if you have MULTIPLE Jesus in your life. Even they don't know the plural.
[+] 2 users Like Regular_Joe's post
04-08-2013, 09:13 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2013 09:19 AM by cjlr.)
(31-07-2013 12:06 PM)GaëlK7 Wrote:  (what's the plural of Jesus anyway?)

In Latin, at least, the name Jesus operates as fourth declension (cf senatus, portus). In which case the nominative plural is distinguished only by pronunciation of the final 'u', and not in a change of ending.

If you were speaking of the Jesus or to the Jesus, then the accusative or dative cases would mark plurality.

edit: should probably be more specific. Properly speaking the word is irregular, but it is irregular fourth declension. We have no classical attestation of a plural form, and therefore it is constructed only by inference.

If one is using a collective noun (group, etc) then it would be bad form to use a Latin plural with an anglicism (collective nouns), and so I suppose one might better resort to a likewise anglicized plural ('Jesuses').

If you're looking for Greek or Hebrew (edit: or Aramaic) declension, alas, I cannot help you.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
04-08-2013, 10:07 AM
(04-08-2013 08:44 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 07:34 AM)PeterKA Wrote:  Jesii or a "Mexico"

An apocalypse of Jebuses ?

Damn Huh I think I'd prefer zombies!!!! Thousands of jeebuses ... jesi ...long haired hippies walking the streets looking to "save" people *shivers*

04-08-2013, 10:35 AM
(04-08-2013 02:15 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Also the notion that Jebus "instituted the Eucharist" is rather funny. The earliest documents/writing don't have a very developed theology of it, and obviously Paul got it from the Greek mystery cult's "thanksgiving feasts/mysteries" which were rather common, (and they were their competition). There is no "institution" (of the Eucharist) in the (long) "Last Supper" in John's gospel, (which is rather surprising .. as they do have a Passover meal).

What do you know... I learned something today. The Catholic bible has extra books (such as first and second Maccabbes) and so I had assumed that they drew this tradition from one of these books that I haven't read, but I was wrong.

It's funny that some Christians take this literally, while it seems objectively to be meant metaphorically (especially since Jesus was sitting right there at the table with them, not yet missing any flesh or blood that could make up the meal). While I laugh often at Christian attempts to make obvious literal stories into metaphor, this has got to be the first example I've seen of it done in reverse.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2013, 08:12 AM
(04-08-2013 10:07 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 08:44 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  An apocalypse of Jebuses ?

Damn Huh I think I'd prefer zombies!!!! Thousands of jeebuses ... jesi ...long haired hippies walking the streets looking to "save" people *shivers*

Hmm... an apocalypse of Jesus has a nice ring to it.
Does a cross of Jesus work? Maybe a cloth of Jesus?

I was taught the wine and bread turned into the actual flesh and blood and it wasn't supposed to be a metaphor. I suppose I was taught before DNA bacame a thing. Well too bad, now they can't breed their own Jesus in a Petri dish and provoke the Rapture in their lifetime. Bad move I say.
06-08-2013, 08:35 AM
(04-08-2013 09:13 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(31-07-2013 12:06 PM)GaëlK7 Wrote:  (what's the plural of Jesus anyway?)

In Latin, at least, the name Jesus operates as fourth declension (cf senatus, portus). In which case the nominative plural is distinguished only by pronunciation of the final 'u', and not in a change of ending.

If you were speaking of the Jesus or to the Jesus, then the accusative or dative cases would mark plurality.

edit: should probably be more specific. Properly speaking the word is irregular, but it is irregular fourth declension. We have no classical attestation of a plural form, and therefore it is constructed only by inference.

If one is using a collective noun (group, etc) then it would be bad form to use a Latin plural with an anglicism (collective nouns), and so I suppose one might better resort to a likewise anglicized plural ('Jesuses').

If you're looking for Greek or Hebrew (edit: or Aramaic) declension, alas, I cannot help you.
Mind=Blown

Banned from ChristianChat.com for "Spreading Disbelief"
[+] 1 user Likes atheistinhiding82's post
06-08-2013, 08:55 AM
(04-08-2013 07:33 AM)eksyte Wrote:  I asked a Catholic friend about communion, if the wine and crackers actually turned into the blood and flesh of Jesus. (As opposed to it just being some non-literal ritual that they practiced as a tradition.) He said yes, and that they believed it on faith.

My next thought was if we pumped someone's stomach who'd recently gone through communion, couldn't we extract the DNA of Jesus and have him cloned?

Needless to say, he didn't really care for that thought....

This is going in my inventory for future use.

Thumbsup

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]