The economic effects of stopping all immigration

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2014, 01:43 PM
The economic effects of stopping all immigration
I've been arguing with a girl at work about whether stopping all immigration (as in BNP style) would be a viable way to improve the economy.

I'm pretty sure it would be bad for the economy but I lack the specific knowledge to say exactly where and why it would have a negative impact.

Anyone care to help me out?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2014, 02:04 PM
RE: The economic effects of stopping all immigration
Almost as difficult as arguing about religion. My basic premise is that economy will only improve if immigrants are net contributors to the tax bucket. If not, and they are net recipients then it has no benefit.

Pretty simplistic but that's how I roll.

Stopping all immigration is another thing and hypothetical because it will never happen. If we did though, I reckon the result would be extremely surprising to the liberal euro community.

Only my opinion of course.

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-03-2014, 02:12 PM
(10-03-2014 01:43 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I've been arguing with a girl at work about whether stopping all immigration (as in BNP style) would be a viable way to improve the economy.

I'm pretty sure it would be bad for the economy but I lack the specific knowledge to say exactly where and why it would have a negative impact.

Anyone care to help me out?

Well, before WWI the US had completely open borders. Anybody and everybody was free to enter, and it was the period of greatest growth in the US. Ask your friend if she thinks the US would have been off in the 19th century had they closed the border and not let any immigrants in.

BTW, the data is clear and uncontroversial: Immigrants are far more likely to start businesses and grow than economy than locals. It's pretty logical that if someone was a lazy bumb who didn't want to work, he'd just stay in his home country and live with his family. The people who are willing to pack up and learn a new language and new culture are the ambitious movers and shakers that give the economy a real jolt. I have yet to see any of the anti-immigration side have any real data to support their case; they just use the 'it will take away jobs from Americans' as an excuse to justify xenophobia, even though there's no data to support that.
[+] 1 user Likes frankksj's post
10-03-2014, 02:30 PM
I remember several years back at university that it is the nature of a capitalist, free economy to require constant growth. Our largest population, Caucasian, stopped growing in the first part of the 1970s, African American population also, and is now just on the rise again, but slowly. Yet the African American population is no where near as large the Caucasian population. So, that leads us to the fastest growing population in America-- the Hispanics. They are, by leaps, our largest group of immigrants, as well as our largest group of illegal immigrants.

My thoughts:

The insatiable and cannibalistic nature of capitalism in America, must have more, and more, and more . . ..

Wal-Mart is the largest employer in the US, and a great example of capitalism and consumerism: employees earn their wages only to turn around and buy the products they earn their wages on--cannibalistic.

I must go: I'll check in tomorrow.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles