The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-05-2012, 11:07 PM
RE: The elegant nature of science
This is so beautiful. It's a Jellyfish called a Cascade Creature? Not certain of that -they caught it on camera near a Florida deep oil rig. I love how it's "skin" has a pattern threading through it... seems to be very flexible; our nerves and myelin sheath look similar. Like most Jellyfish I've seen, they have external or exposed organs -I have no idea what those organs might be -you can decide. It's so lovely.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
11-05-2012, 12:32 PM
I often wonder what the very first person who saw this thought. Let's assume the very first one was seen by chance 400 years ago, what would they have thought? Would they have even thought of this as a living thing?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
11-05-2012, 12:48 PM
(11-05-2012 12:32 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I often wonder what the very first person who saw this thought. Let's assume the very first one was seen by chance 400 years ago, what would they have thought? Would they have even thought of this as a living thing?
No kidding! I bet some might have thought it a plant until they realized it was moving! I wonder if they would have thought it repulsive or beautiful? If the observer were an artist or a scientist; beauty - hands down. Thumbsup

In the bible, this might fall under the category of "Laviathan" - this thing is pretty huge.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
11-05-2012, 01:00 PM
(10-05-2012 11:07 PM)kim Wrote:  Like most Jellyfish I've seen, they have external or exposed organs -I have no idea what those organs might be -you can decide. It's so lovely.

Interesting. You DO know this occurs in humans, rarely. Makes ya wonder if the gene for "externanlity" was the norm, and got suppressed ?

http://www.thewomens.org.au/gastroschisis

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
11-05-2012, 01:22 PM
(11-05-2012 01:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-05-2012 11:07 PM)kim Wrote:  Like most Jellyfish I've seen, they have external or exposed organs -I have no idea what those organs might be -you can decide. It's so lovely.

Interesting. You DO know this occurs in humans, rarely. Makes ya wonder if the gene for "externanlity" was the norm, and got suppressed ?

http://www.thewomens.org.au/gastroschisis
Oh yes, external organs are not unheard of in humans. Of course, they used to let them just die, now they surgically repair the problem. I wonder at the probability of that repaired person giving birth similarly.

Is there actually a gene or would this be a mutation on a gene? And by repairing... do we help it to reoccur?
Is it possible to wonder too much? Shy

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
11-05-2012, 01:29 PM
That is one of the most serious drawbacks of modern medicine (perhaps the only). Genetic defects that are normally rare or fatal if untreated are now either being prolonged or at least treated so that people with them survive longer and can reproduce, thereby increasing the portion of the population with these negative defects. This is why it is necessary to continue to study them so as to cure them (hopefully) because they are not going to go away.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
12-05-2012, 04:17 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2012 05:10 AM by houseofcantor.)
(20-03-2012 11:56 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Almost certainly, this is redundant. I'm too lazy...

There it is. I posted the middle one a while back when I was all spun up. If I kan do it, Y not U? Lazy! Tongue

I was looking to see if this thingy has been posted, and no.

Stupid forum. Stupid atheists, making me think. Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
12-05-2012, 05:22 AM
Our line departed from that of the jellyfish a long time ago. Any genes governing the inside or oursideness of organs in our respective species are unlikely to be the same Smile

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
12-05-2012, 05:55 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2012 06:11 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(11-05-2012 01:22 PM)kim Wrote:  Is it possible to wonder too much? Shy

no

Tongue

(12-05-2012 04:17 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  If I kan do it, Y not U?

[Image: toplogo.jpg]

Much to learn, still have I.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
12-05-2012, 06:45 AM
(12-05-2012 05:55 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(11-05-2012 01:22 PM)kim Wrote:  Is it possible to wonder too much? Shy

no
Tongue

yes
Tongue
(12-05-2012 05:55 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  [Image: toplogo.jpg]
[Image: U-Mad-Bro.jpg]