The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
17-06-2017, 04:45 PM
RE: The elegant nature of science
Quote:Using algebraic topology in a way that it has never been used before in neuroscience, a team from the Blue Brain Project has uncovered a universe of multi-dimensional geometrical structures and spaces within the networks of the brain.
Imaging the unimaginable...
[Image: fDZrEDE.jpg]
Quote:The image attempts to illustrate something that cannot be imaged -- a universe of multi-dimensional structures and spaces. On the left is a digital copy of a part of the neocortex, the most evolved part of the brain. On the right are shapes of different sizes and geometries in an attempt to represent structures ranging from 1 dimension to 7 dimensions and beyond. The "black-hole" in the middle is used to symbolize a complex of multi-dimensional spaces, or cavities. Researchers at Blue Brain Project report groups of neurons bound into such cavities provide the missing link between neural structure and function, in their new study published in Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience. Credit: Blue Brain Project

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
17-06-2017, 05:40 PM
(17-06-2017 04:45 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
Quote:Using algebraic topology in a way that it has never been used before in neuroscience, a team from the Blue Brain Project has uncovered a universe of multi-dimensional geometrical structures and spaces within the networks of the brain.
Imaging the unimaginable...
[Image: fDZrEDE.jpg]
Quote:The image attempts to illustrate something that cannot be imaged -- a universe of multi-dimensional structures and spaces. On the left is a digital copy of a part of the neocortex, the most evolved part of the brain. On the right are shapes of different sizes and geometries in an attempt to represent structures ranging from 1 dimension to 7 dimensions and beyond. The "black-hole" in the middle is used to symbolize a complex of multi-dimensional spaces, or cavities. Researchers at Blue Brain Project report groups of neurons bound into such cavities provide the missing link between neural structure and function, in their new study published in Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience. Credit: Blue Brain Project

Kewl! I think that this points out that the structure is there in the universe, and we just discover the mathematics to describe it. I wonder if we'll come up with some mathematics that describes something that is not in the universe? My expectation is no, but it won't happen in my lifetime, anyway. Now watch someone prove me wrong.
Find all posts by this user
26-06-2017, 08:30 AM
And now - the rocky lives of... well, rocks Rolleyes

So adorable...

And while on the subject of adorable...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
19-07-2017, 06:54 PM
Why not? It’s science dammit! Smile

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
02-08-2017, 08:47 PM
[Image: snI4eHb.gif]

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
02-08-2017, 09:13 PM
Run away!!
03-08-2017, 01:51 PM
"most of me is you.
I strive for independence,
fail with every breath"

I was talking what oxygen, what did you think - that I'd translated one too many crappy romance novels or been in Brazil one too many weeks. As if! Rolleyes

The haiku nature of science.

(FC, we so need a scientific jokes thread. I see so many and wanna post most of them!)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."