The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
28-09-2017, 06:33 PM
RE: The elegant nature of science
Oldest life form found at 3.95 billion yo

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
08-10-2017, 12:22 PM
Elon Musk is temporarily restoring cell service to Puerto Rico with balloons with a project called Loon.
https://phys.org/news/2017-10-balloons-p...works.html

“Loon, part of a series of futuristic projects out of Alphabet's "X" laboratory, was originally created to provide internet coverage in under-developed rural areas."

Bowing

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
12-10-2017, 07:43 AM
SMALL ASTEROID GIVES EARTH A CLOSE SHAVE

"A small asteroid buzzed Earth early Thursday (Oct. 12) in a close flyby that scientists had been looking forward to for months.

The space rock, known as 2012 TC4, zoomed about 26,000 miles (42,000 kilometers) above Antarctica at 1:42 a.m. EDT (0542 GMT) Thursday. That’s about 11 percent the distance between Earth and the moon, and just beyond the orbit of geostationary satellites.”

One of these days the universe is going to erase us like the dinosaurs.

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
22-10-2017, 05:21 AM
Thank heavens http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2...&utm_term= colliding neutron stars for your jewelry.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
28-10-2017, 10:01 AM
NASA's Twin Study Reveals Something Very, Very Strange Happens To Your Genes In Space

“Some of the most exciting things that we’ve seen from looking at gene expression in space is that we really see an explosion, like fireworks taking off, as soon as the human body gets into space,” Twins Study Principal Investigator Dr Chris Mason of Weill Cornell Medicine said in a statement. “With this study, we’ve seen thousands and thousands of genes change how they are turned on and turned off. This happens as soon as an astronaut gets into space, and some of the activity persists temporarily upon return to Earth.”

28-10-2017, 07:11 PM
(28-10-2017 10:01 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  NASA's Twin Study Reveals Something Very, Very Strange Happens To Your Genes In Space

“Some of the most exciting things that we’ve seen from looking at gene expression in space is that we really see an explosion, like fireworks taking off, as soon as the human body gets into space,” Twins Study Principal Investigator Dr Chris Mason of Weill Cornell Medicine said in a statement. “With this study, we’ve seen thousands and thousands of genes change how they are turned on and turned off. This happens as soon as an astronaut gets into space, and some of the activity persists temporarily upon return to Earth.”

I wonder if the cause might be the micro-gravity. Consider
Maybe it is "interpreted" as a return to the sea and the genes are responding to that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-10-2017, 07:25 PM
(28-10-2017 07:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-10-2017 10:01 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  NASA's Twin Study Reveals Something Very, Very Strange Happens To Your Genes In Space

I wonder if the cause might be the micro-gravity. Consider
Maybe it is "interpreted" as a return to the sea and the genes are responding to that.

If that is true, I wonder what all those hours under water have done to my genes?

29-10-2017, 03:51 AM
(28-10-2017 07:25 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(28-10-2017 07:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  I wonder if the cause might be the micro-gravity. Consider

If that is true, I wonder what all those hours under water have done to my genes?

Well, if the micro gravity is potentially triggering it because of a return to the water, what about an actual return to the water? I mean, if you're doing this testing in space, why not also try an extended testing phase with scuba-divers? Hell, just get people submerged in a large water tank with fully contained helmet and undies that handle all their biological needs, and keep them submerged for extended periods of time to see if they trigger similar responses?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
29-10-2017, 09:51 AM
(29-10-2017 03:51 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(28-10-2017 07:25 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  If that is true, I wonder what all those hours under water have done to my genes?

Well, if the micro gravity is potentially triggering it because of a return to the water, what about an actual return to the water? I mean, if you're doing this testing in space, why not also try an extended testing phase with scuba-divers? Hell, just get people submerged in a large water tank with fully contained helmet and undies that handle all their biological needs, and keep them submerged for extended periods of time to see if they trigger similar responses?

Now that I come to think about it being underwater will probably not have the same effect as zero gravity for the simple reason that just below the surface the weight of the water applies pressure.

At 33 feet the body experiences twice the pressure per square inch as at sea level.

02-11-2017, 02:06 PM
Say hello to relatives you didn't know you had.
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/11/n...s-survival

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post