The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-06-2012, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2012 03:46 PM by kim.)
RE: The elegant nature of science
(11-06-2012 01:37 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  In other news...
Heart Dang, that was good! BBC is always so thorough.
In keeping with the brain motif.... I got this from bemore...

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
12-06-2012, 10:46 AM
I don't remember if I have ever posted this anywhere on the site before, but this is freaking sweet. It puts the scale of the universe into perspective as well as the size of the quantum world. Both of which we know exist, and yet we face our daily tasks almost completely unaware of their existence. Some might be inclined to say the same thing about a god, but we can demonstrate the existence of these scales and the things that exist within them thanks to SCIENCE!!!

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
12-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Distance from Earth to sun fits inside Deneb. Let's not move there. Big Grin

How many of them things are there? I got one from Nikon on my blog: http://www.nikon.com/about/feelnikon/uni...ndex_f.htm

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-06-2012, 08:49 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/news/malaria-3...ecies.html
It would be pretty elegant if there was no more Malaria. Although god's plan to kill 1,000,000 babies a year would take a hit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
15-06-2012, 11:36 AM

http://www.science20.com/quantum_diaries...very-90714 which is a link to the latest. It might be a little dense, coming from Science 2.0, but the other links I checked were full of asinine comments from religious buffoons. Tongue

living word
15-06-2012, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2012 12:48 PM by kim.)
(15-06-2012 11:36 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  http://www.science20.com/quantum_diaries...very-90714 which is a link to the latest. It might be a little dense, coming from Science 2.0, but the other links I checked were full of asinine comments from religious buffoons. Tongue

I do agree the lesser data needs to be scoured and I've always said that but... significance is probably more key here than most people would like.
And Tommaso can be forgiven for his excitement but not his over simplification... not to mention his not so subtle ability to grasp at slick deviations. Not sure I'd like this guy in my kitchen. Confused Too rushy, rushy.
Quote:If one naively added in quadrature two four-sigma effects, one would obtain a over-five-sigma combined significance: this would then be a discovery by all standards. In principle, therefore, the chance that the Higgs boson is found is already there, with data already safely stored on our multi-tiered storage systems.

That's a bold fucking statement and by all means, knock your socks off to find it, but I'm still gonna wait 'til waaaaaay after next year... and maybe even the year after that. Compile, compile, compile ... then, show and tell time... all I can say.

The only painful thing about science is that it pounds the shit out of the temporary brain-fart that tries to tell us we're oh so damn smart. But the pounding only stings for a little while... and the scenery is so lovely along the way. I think it's worth the wait. Shy

Hmm... maybe scientists are masochists. Tongue

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
15-06-2012, 01:06 PM
(15-06-2012 12:45 PM)kim Wrote:  Hmm... maybe scientists are masochists. Tongue
Nope, scientists are optimists. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-06-2012, 01:43 PM
(15-06-2012 12:45 PM)kim Wrote:  That's a bold fucking statement and by all means, knock your socks off to find it, but I'm still gonna wait 'til waaaaaay after next year... and maybe even the year after that. Compile, compile, compile ... then, show and tell time... all I can say.

You just don't like the fact that 125 is fat enough to have no strings. Tongue

living word
15-06-2012, 01:51 PM
(15-06-2012 01:43 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(15-06-2012 12:45 PM)kim Wrote:  That's a bold fucking statement and by all means, knock your socks off to find it, but I'm still gonna wait 'til waaaaaay after next year... and maybe even the year after that. Compile, compile, compile ... then, show and tell time... all I can say.
You just don't like the fact that 125 is fat enough to have no strings. Tongue

You don't know that! You don't ... uh .. you don't... uuuh uuh uuh Weeping

15-06-2012, 01:55 PM
(15-06-2012 01:51 PM)kim Wrote:  
(15-06-2012 01:43 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You just don't like the fact that 125 is fat enough to have no strings. Tongue

You don't know that! You don't ... uh .. you don't... uuuh uuh uuh Weeping
I don't know nothing other than I love my Gwynnies! Always a dilemma talking to you on this subject. Do I like you more than I hate string theory? Well, yeah... but I hate string theory. Big Grin

living word