• 1 Votes - 5 Average
29-06-2012, 09:53 AM
RE: The elegant nature of science

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2012, 10:47 AM
(19-06-2012 10:36 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  The problem seems to be that neutrinos have so little mass that getting a handle on 'em is exceedingly tricky.

Yes, neutrinos are tricky; most significantly (to me), they are electrically neutral. They carry no electric charge, they aren't affected by the same kind of electromagnetic forces that affect electrons, they are only affected by "weak" sub-atomic forces of shorter range electromagnetism and so they're able to go long distances through matter and not be affected by it. However, if neutrinos have mass at all, they also interact with other particles that have mass, so then both are affected by gravity -a "weak" force. Neutrinos are tricky mostly because they are really only significantly affected by "weak" forces. Maybe that's just significant to me. I've been thinking about this a lot lately; strong and weak forces interacting with and within mass. Sorry. Just thinking out loud. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
04-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Well, here it is. Dodgy

Shy It's exciting... really.

Just out of the oven and up on the shelf, ready for the bake sale. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
04-07-2012, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2012 04:53 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-07-2012 04:21 PM)kim Wrote:  Well, here it is. Dodgy

And Higgs, an admitted incompetent experimentalist, lived to see it. Good for you ya old fart. ... And Kurzweil is right, we live at an inflection point on the exponential technology curve. Shit's just gonna keep coming quicker and quicker. Thumbsup

And this is why religion ain't got a fuckin' prayer. Soon even their death throes won't warrant attention.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-07-2012, 07:10 PM
(04-07-2012 04:21 PM)kim Wrote:  Well, here it is. Dodgy

Wow! Exciting indeed! What a historic moment we've witnessed. I bet the Fermi folks are seething right now Wink
04-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Fermi helped contribute to the confirmation... at least I would think. So... The celebration is ... Kinda world wide. I just don't want to get ahead of ourselves. I'm drunk... but ever cautious. Wink

06-07-2012, 03:06 PM
(04-07-2012 08:25 PM)kim Wrote:  Fermi helped contribute to the confirmation... at least I would think. So... The celebration is ... Kinda world wide. I just don't want to get ahead of ourselves. I'm drunk... but ever cautious. Wink

LOL Kim, won't say I told you so!

[+] 1 user Likes Grassy Knoll's post
06-07-2012, 03:29 PM
That was a great video... it explains exactly what I am talking about; scientists are not resting on a 5 sigma -it will just make them look more. I love it!! Smile

Ha - I don't see it as Fermi squirming, but if anyone does that's ok... maybe it seems a little like they are downplaying the announcement's celebration. Consider Hmm... maybe you are right... I don't know.

However, this has started me wondering... who all was involved in the confirmation...? Did Cern ever discuss an independent lab? I may have missed it. Shy

06-07-2012, 03:36 PM
(06-07-2012 03:29 PM)kim Wrote:  However, this has started me wondering... who all was involved in the confirmation...? Did Cern ever discuss an independent lab? I may have missed it. Shy
Yes they did. Two actually.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-07-2012, 03:50 PM
(06-07-2012 03:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(06-07-2012 03:29 PM)kim Wrote:  However, this has started me wondering... who all was involved in the confirmation...? Did Cern ever discuss an independent lab? I may have missed it. Shy
Yes they did. Two actually.

I figured they had to or it wouldn't be considered reputable. Did you catch who, Bucky?

Oh shit... I forgot, I have two sets of five digits.... I'll get on my google machine. Blink