The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
06-04-2013, 07:04 PM
RE: The elegant nature of science
Let me make clear that I am NOT smart before I ask the following question, but I seem to remember someone having said on an episode of "The Universe", or some other similar show on the Science Channel etc.., that there was found/detected (somehow) a cloud, somewhere out there, that was big, and comprised of mostly, if not completely, of the same type of alcohol that we use in spirits like rum, or whiskey. Does anyone know anything about this?
And, if so, does it prove the existence of heaven?......I kid, I kid, but seriously...?...where's my RUM cloud? ;P

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
06-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Hmm... I don't know. I like science jokes but I think that was more joke than science. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
06-04-2013, 09:03 PM
I want to say it was Lawrence Krauss who made the statement, but can't seem to find it on google or youtube, and I'm not computer-saavy enough to figure out how to post links Sad But if you google "Galaxies centre smells of raspberries & rum" you'll find that in their search for amino acids in space they found ethyl formate, which smells of rum. But I swear I remember (which means my memory could be faulty) Krauss talking about a cloud of "for real" 100%/200 proof alcohol floating around somewhere out there.

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
06-04-2013, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 09:42 PM by kim.)
Wow - found it - Galaxy's centre tastes of raspberries and smells of rum...

Hmm Consider so life is just a cocktail party... hope it lasts a long time. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
07-04-2013, 05:59 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2013 06:02 AM by Vera.)
(31-03-2013 06:40 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

Loved it! This guy is great! Now I wanna watch more videos instead of work.

The Berlusconi bit was really, really funny. And I've always known we, right-hemispherers have it more difficult than you guys, but having no voice? Not funny Dodgy And now I'm reminded of I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream... which actually ties in well with your ideas of some political machine ruling us... and the video ties not so well with your ideas about removing emotion from certain areas of life, or any attempts at separating rationality from whatever else it is we have going in our brains... Angel

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
07-04-2013, 06:08 AM
(07-04-2013 05:59 AM)Vera Wrote:  Loved it! This guy is great! Now I wanna watch more videos instead of work.

You! Get back to work!

nothing to see here, get back to work Big Grin

PS
They intertwined like snakes, baring their fangs but not striking, in a deadly dance of love under the night sky Laughat

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
07-04-2013, 06:15 AM
I'll get you for this, fool circle...

On a totally unrelated note, have you ever thought about a trip to Sri Lanka? Angel

Also, Horned ghost crabs change camouflage from day to night. (those things are almost as scary and repulsive as spiders, so I'm not posting any pictures... [Image: hide-smiley-face.gif] )

07-04-2013, 09:05 PM
(07-04-2013 06:15 AM)Vera Wrote:  I'll get you for this, fool circle...

On a totally unrelated note, have you ever thought about a trip to Sri Lanka? Angel

Also, Horned ghost crabs change camouflage from day to night. (those things are almost as scary and repulsive as spiders, so I'm not posting any pictures... [Image: hide-smiley-face.gif] )

I had not seen that about the Horned Ghost crabs, very informative, thanks.

Sri Lanka along with India are permanently off the list with all the gang rapes and seemingly unending brutal attacks on women. No way I'm taking my wife there, I'm an atheist but I'm not crazy Hobo

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
08-04-2013, 07:04 AM
(07-04-2013 09:05 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Sri Lanka along with India are permanently off the list

Well, I'm sure they have giant tarantulas elsewhere, too. Just give me a bit of time and I'll find you just the place Angel

Good thinking about India, though. I've sometimes wondered what it would have been liked, if the West hadn't been so (irrevocably) fucked up by the Judeo-Christian "man is a sinner", "the body is filthy", "you're worthless and deserve to suffer", "if you're not with me, you're against me" crap, and its mentality and history had been shaped by a more peaceful religion... And then I see the India of today and how they seem unable to let go of the idea of castes and the deep-rooted inequality they have there, and think it actually might have been worse Undecided

Also, this is pretty cool: Most gold deposits were produced by earthquakes. Who knew... If only I actually liked gold...

08-04-2013, 07:17 AM
(08-04-2013 07:04 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 09:05 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Sri Lanka along with India are permanently off the list

Well, I'm sure they have giant tarantulas elsewhere, too. Just give me a bit of time and I'll find you just the place Angel

Good thinking about India, though. I've sometimes wondered what it would have been liked, if the West hadn't been so (irrevocably) fucked up by the Judeo-Christian "man is a sinner", "the body is filthy", "you're worthless and deserve to suffer", "if you're not with me, you're against me" crap, and its mentality and history had been shaped by a more peaceful religion... And then I see the India of today and how they seem unable to let go of the idea of castes and the deep-rooted inequality they have there, and think it actually might have been worse Undecided

Also, this is pretty cool: Most gold deposits were produced by earthquakes. Who knew... If only I actually liked gold...

I had read that article, so you don't care for the shiny metal huh? Interesting.

If there is on thing I have great Faith in is man's ability to hurt his fellow man, we are extremely good at it, lots of practice you know Consider

Now on to sciency things! We are about to enter the realm of Jurassic Park Clap
My favorite would have to be the thylacine
http://phys.org/news/2013-04-ethics-resu...ecies.html