The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-04-2013, 07:33 AM
RE: The elegant nature of science
(08-04-2013 07:17 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  so you don't care for the shiny metal huh? Interesting.

Except for its practical uses, pretty useless (and rather ugly) thing. Same goes for diamonds. Useful as heck, but as jewelery? Puh-lease!

Quote:Now on to sciency things! We are about to enter the realm of Jurassic Park Clap
My favorite would have to be the thylacine
http://phys.org/news/2013-04-ethics-resu...ecies.html

Oh! Dodos! Neil Innes! [Image: smiley-hug3.gif]

And: Capuchin monkeys 'shun selfish humans', study suggests.

Early life care shapes African elephants' future.

"Early maternal care in the first two years of life actually affects an elephant's survival over 40 years - it has long lasting consequences..."

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2013, 10:20 AM

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
10-04-2013, 10:32 AM
What the Death of the Sun Will Look Like.

(Forget the boat and the Mayan artifact, obviously by that time there won't be even a trace we were ever here. Or at least, there most probably won't be. Not of the civilisations we have now anyway. Still, some amazing visuals and a great description. Almost makes you wanna see it.)

[Image: ku-xlarge.jpg]

[Image: ku-xlarge.jpg]

Chas, I was thinking about posting this only yesterday. Wasn't sure if people wouldn't think me even sillier than they already do Tongue Seriously though, it's really cool.

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
10-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Snack time at the Black Hole restaurant.
http://www.space.com/20580-black-hole-ea...pid=520725

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study. "I believe Mr. Peanut is the Messiah" -- onlinebiker
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-04-2013, 04:19 PM
(10-04-2013 12:07 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Snack time at the Black Hole restaurant.
http://www.space.com/20580-black-hole-ea...pid=520725

Bucky, not sure if you've seen it, but I think this is awesome.

http://io9.com/watch-this-black-hole-tak...-468059832

(Sorry if there was a video in your link too, I must have missed it.)

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
12-04-2013, 04:15 AM
New music 'rewarding for the brain'.

"Using MRI scans, a Canadian team of scientists found that areas in the reward centre of the brain became active when people heard a song for the first time.

"But music is abstract: It's not like you are really hungry and you are about to get a piece of food and you are really excited about it because you are going to eat it - or the same thing applies to sex or money - that's when you would normally see activity in the nucleus accumbens."

You guys go ahead and get excited about mundane things like food, money or sex. I'm gonna stick with music.

And here's one of the songs I heard for the first time only recently (for those who can find the time to get out of the refrigerator... or bed Drinking Beverage )

12-04-2013, 06:27 AM
Team reconstructs 'human ancestor'.

"The most complete view yet of a possible human ancestor uncovered in South Africa has revealed an intriguing mix of human and ape traits.The two-million-year-old remains of several partial skeletons belonging to a previously unknown humanlike species were found in 2008 near Johannesburg.

The new analysis shows this species - Australopithecus sediba - had a human-like pelvis, hands and teeth, and a chimpanzee-like foot."

[Image: _66957287_66957285.jpg]

(Makes one wonder, are we absolutely sure all our moderators are completely human? Consider )

[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
12-04-2013, 05:42 PM
(12-04-2013 06:27 AM)Vera Wrote:  Team reconstructs 'human ancestor'.

"The most complete view yet of a possible human ancestor uncovered in South Africa has revealed an intriguing mix of human and ape traits.The two-million-year-old remains of several partial skeletons belonging to a previously unknown humanlike species were found in 2008 near Johannesburg.

The new analysis shows this species - Australopithecus sediba - had a human-like pelvis, hands and teeth, and a chimpanzee-like foot."

[Image: _66957287_66957285.jpg]

(Makes one wonder, are we absolutely sure all our moderators are completely human? Consider )

Ya beat me to this. I just read about this.
So much for "where are all the transitional fossils" ? Tongue
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/04/12/...-quandary/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study. "I believe Mr. Peanut is the Messiah" -- onlinebiker
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Avian flu adapting to humans, evolution before our very eyes

Although it is too early to predict its potential to cause a pandemic, signs that the virus is adapting to mammalian and, in particular, human hosts are unmistakable, says Kawaoka.

Read more at: http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-04-bi...s.html#jCp

Next time someone says we can't see evolution at work whip this article out.

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
16-04-2013, 05:30 AM
The skies are currently being flooded with the brightest display of gamma rays - the Universe's highest-energy light - ever seen by astronomers.

[Image: _67028111_67028110.jpg]

And: Tulip tree's genome is 'molecular fossil'.

"The "extraordinary level of conservation" of genetic data in the tulip tree remains largely unchanged since the dinosaurs. The species' genomic change is about 2,000 times slower than in humans, making it a "molecular fossil", a team of US researchers said."

[Image: _67013661_tuliptree_garycot_radforduniversity.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post