The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
30-04-2013, 12:52 PM
RE: The elegant nature of science
Round thing is round. Angel

If this thing was the size of the earth, the difference between the highest and lowest points would be fourteen meters. Blink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like houseofcantor's post
30-04-2013, 01:01 PM
(30-04-2013 12:52 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Round thing is round. Angel

If this thing was the size of the earth, the difference between the highest and lowest points would be fourteen meters. Blink
What does it say about me that one of the first things I noticed was the slight sexual tension, attraction, whatever, between them? Consider

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
30-04-2013, 01:11 PM
(30-04-2013 01:01 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(30-04-2013 12:52 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Round thing is round. Angel

What does it say about me that one of the first things I noticed was the slight sexual tension, attraction, whatever, between them? Consider

That you need a new job. Angel

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
30-04-2013, 01:18 PM
(30-04-2013 01:11 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  That you need a new job.

I'm not even going to say what were the first connotations the word job conjured up.

I fear for once you might be right, Johnny... [Image: Ashamed2.gif]

[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
01-05-2013, 07:27 AM
Atoms star in world's smallest movie from IBM.

The stop-motion animation uses a few dozen carbon atoms, moved around with the tiny tip of what is called a scanning tunnelling microscope (STM). It would take about 1,000 of the frames of the film laid side by side to span a single human hair.

[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
03-05-2013, 03:06 AM
This dog has four prosthetic legs and oh my god my heart just imploded. (I would say that's pretty much the universal reaction Blush )

[Image: k-bigpic.jpg]

And then there was this: Can animals see optical illusions? Kitty says YES. Awww...

Which automatically reminds one of:

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
04-05-2013, 04:07 AM
Rare Caterpillar Resembles Donald Trump's Hair.

"A recently videotaped caterpillar bears an uncanny resemblance to bigwig Donald Trump's hair. The insect, a rare yellow-colored caterpillar of the flannel moth, now has the nickname “Donald Trump Caterpillar.”"

This has got to be one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen in my life. I'm never ever ever going to Peru.

I understand that we need creepy-crawly things, but do they have to be so repulsive? Why can't they all be like the ladybug or something? Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
04-05-2013, 05:06 AM
@ Vera - the prosthetics for the dog, so cool by the way, reminded me of this. We took my wife's niece to see Winter, the tailess dolphin. I never knew. Amazing.

http://www.seewinter.com/winter

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."- Mark Twain in Eruption
04-05-2013, 05:24 AM
(04-05-2013 05:06 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  @ Vera - the prosthetics for the dog, so cool by the way, reminded me of this. We took my wife's niece to see Winter, the tailess dolphin. I never knew. Amazing.

http://www.seewinter.com/winter
Oh my god! Sadcryface

There's something so sad about seeing animals suffer. Not saying that it's not sad when humans suffer, but at least we have the comfort of words and some sort of understanding why we're suffering. Which is why I have no sympathy for people who consciously cause pain to animals. You can't get much lower than this and still claim the right to be called human.

On a happier note - seems like my wish to be able to hibernate might not be just a pipe dream, after all Tongue

Primate Hibernation More Common Than Previously Thought.

[Image: lemur_hibernation_525.jpg]

05-05-2013, 07:22 AM
(04-05-2013 04:07 AM)Vera Wrote:  Rare Caterpillar Resembles Donald Trump's Hair.

"A recently videotaped caterpillar bears an uncanny resemblance to bigwig Donald Trump's hair. The insect, a rare yellow-colored caterpillar of the flannel moth, now has the nickname “Donald Trump Caterpillar.”"

This has got to be one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen in my life. I'm never ever ever going to Peru.

I understand that we need creepy-crawly things, but do they have to be so repulsive? Why can't they all be like the ladybug or something? Dodgy

It's furry! Big Grin