The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-05-2013, 06:31 AM
RE: The elegant nature of science
(25-05-2013 11:11 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  
(25-05-2013 09:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  Better check your natal chart before you do. Drinking Beverage

Had no idea what that was, looked it up, apparently something to do with astrology. I take it your rather skeptical of what I posted. We already have things being implanted into the brains of some individuals, nothing to the point of what I want in my head mind you, none the less, one day it may be mainstream.

Don't take it personally, it was a joke from an ungoing difference of opinion with others. You're just an innocent bystander caught in the crossfire.

Maybe with nanotechnology we will indeed have implants in the near future.

PS Are you writing this from the police station? Cool I understand you are on a first name basis with law enforcement.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
26-05-2013, 07:25 AM
(25-05-2013 11:11 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  
(25-05-2013 09:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  Better check your natal chart before you do. Drinking Beverage

Had no idea what that was, looked it up, apparently something to do with astrology. I take it your rather skeptical of what I posted. We already have things being implanted into the brains of some individuals, nothing to the point of what I want in my head mind you, none the less, one day it may be mainstream.

No, not directed at you or the content. See the "Natal chart" thread that is, unbelievably, still in the Science forum.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-05-2013, 10:04 AM
http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2013/0...s-20130526
The Little Metronome that Woudn't.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Plants encased by glaciers still alive and well after 400 years, how amazing is that?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...202549.htm

La Farge says the regrowth of these Little Ice Age bryophytes (such as mosses and liverworts) expands our understanding of glacier ecosystems as biological reservoirs that are becoming increasingly important with global ice retreat. "We know that bryophytes can remain dormant for many years (for example, in deserts) and then are reactivated, but nobody expected them to rejuvenate after nearly 400 years beneath a glacier.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
29-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Two species of salamaders living in the same pond evolve in response to each other. The smaller one evolves to have a voracious appetite so it can grow fast enough to elude the larger apex predator one.

"Finding that adaptive evolution may disguise strong ecological effects means that a range of ecological predictions are likely to be unreliable if we ignore how evolution affects biological communities."
Urban refers to this as "the invisible finger of evolution" which, he says, may tip the scales toward or away from ecological influences.
"That the effect of an apex predator can be so strong that it causes evolutionary responses in other species," he says, "shows that ecology and evolution are inexorably intertwined."

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2013-05-salamanders...n.html#jCp

01-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Even With Defects, Graphene Is Strongest Material in the World

"In its perfect crystalline form, graphene (a one-atom-thick carbon layer) is the strongest material ever measured, as the Columbia Engineering team reported in Science in 2008 -- so strong that, as Hone observed, "it would take an elephant, balanced on a pencil, to break through a sheet of graphene the thickness of Saran Wrap."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...114733.htm

That is an amazing fact!

01-06-2013, 10:44 PM
I have an uber-expensive camera made of carbon and graphite composite materials. It's fairly large but extremely lightweight so, I'm always afraid I'm going to drop it and I envision it shattering, as if it were made of glass. The featherweight is just amazing. They make racing bicycles out of carbon and graphite composite materials.

Graphene is probably even more lightweight. It'd be cool if they started making plane and car bodies out of it... and engine parts - could you imagine the weight of an engine block made entirely of graphene?

Holy shit - teeth! Crowns made of graphene - hip and knee replacements - heart valves - my Dad's heart valve was carbon and graphite composite surely graphene would be thinner, less bulky and inert within our bodies, like carbon.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
05-06-2013, 02:32 PM

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Why are we the only planet that we know of where life exists?
07-06-2013, 10:22 PM
(07-06-2013 10:08 PM)theword Wrote:  Why are we the only planet that we know of where life exists?

We've only been down out of the trees for a short while now. Space travel proved to be a bit more of a bitch than we first thought. Don't worry, we'll get there. Thumbsup

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post