The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
19-10-2013, 04:17 PM
The elegant nature of science
How is science a beautiful nature? Science is a instrumental tool that only humans use. Unless what is being said is.... It is elegant how we humans can label things as elegant.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2013, 04:38 PM
RE: The elegant nature of science
(18-10-2013 05:55 AM)Vera Wrote:  The idea that there were several different human species walking the Earth two million years ago has been dealt a blow.

""Skull 5," as the specimen is called has a relatively tiny brain case and a protruding lower jaw – anatomical features reminiscent of Australopithecus, a more primitive human ancestor. And yet, its upper jaw resembles that of a 2.3-million-year-old specimen from Ethiopia, thought to have belonged to H. habilis; its bulky browline bears a strong resemblance to that of H. erectus; and its long, vertically oriented upper face and the overall shape of its braincase are unmistakably Homo. An anatomical chimera, Skull 5 possesses a surprising combination of features that has never before been observed together in an early Homo fossil."

[Image: original.jpg]

('Cause if ever there was a thread that needed the kiss of life... Then again, I have this nagging suspicion at the back of my mind, I'm more the kiss of death type, but... Confused )

I heard about this recent discovery!! Clap I'm so excited to see these photos..... *...runs off to find more...* I had no idea they released pics yet!!

The really exciting thing is - and very important thing, as well - they found the different fossils in the same place at different depths, years apart. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
19-10-2013, 06:38 PM
(19-10-2013 04:38 PM)kim Wrote:  
(18-10-2013 05:55 AM)Vera Wrote:  The idea that there were several different human species walking the Earth two million years ago has been dealt a blow.

""Skull 5," as the specimen is called has a relatively tiny brain case and a protruding lower jaw – anatomical features reminiscent of Australopithecus, a more primitive human ancestor. And yet, its upper jaw resembles that of a 2.3-million-year-old specimen from Ethiopia, thought to have belonged to H. habilis; its bulky browline bears a strong resemblance to that of H. erectus; and its long, vertically oriented upper face and the overall shape of its braincase are unmistakably Homo. An anatomical chimera, Skull 5 possesses a surprising combination of features that has never before been observed together in an early Homo fossil."

[Image: original.jpg]

('Cause if ever there was a thread that needed the kiss of life... Then again, I have this nagging suspicion at the back of my mind, I'm more the kiss of death type, but... Confused )

I heard about this recent discovery!! Clap I'm so excited to see these photos..... *...runs off to find more...* I had no idea they released pics yet!!

The really exciting thing is - and very important thing, as well - they found the different fossils in the same place at different depths, years apart. Thumbsup

There are a couple pics here, I put in the Paleo thread.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/18/scienc...html?_r=1&

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
21-10-2013, 07:01 AM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2013 07:13 AM by Vera.)
(19-10-2013 04:38 PM)kim Wrote:  The really exciting thing is - and very important thing, as well - they found the different fossils in the same place at different depths, years apart. Thumbsup

And it's also "the very first evidence of the hominid expansion out of Africa." Really cool, indeed.

Technology is giving a new twist to traditional art. Artists Rob and Nick Carter have created a digital painting based on the 1630 oil on copper painting, Dead Frog with Flies by Dutch artist Ambrosius Bosschaert the Younger. Digital technology allows the picture to gradually change over a three hour period showing from the frog's last breath to when it becomes just a skeleton having been eaten away by maggots.

I really, really wanna see the whole three hours of it (as opposed to listening to a boring blonde bimbo blather on the BBC Dodgy )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
26-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Again with the dark matter...

Quote:Physicists from the Large Underground Xenon (LUX) dark matter detector will announce the experiment’s first results on Wednesday, Oct. 30, during an event at the Sanford Underground Research Facility in Lead, S.D. Media are welcome to attend this invitation-only event, which also will be webcast live by South Dakota Public Broadcasting. (A link to the webcast will be available on sanfordlab.org.)

http://sanfordlab.org/news/press_release...anford-lab

...there is no dark matter really. Matter of fact, it's all dark...

(OK, I couldn't resist. Big Grin )

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
30-10-2013, 02:33 PM
(26-10-2013 09:23 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  ...there is no dark matter really.

It would appear so, Johnny Tongue

Dark matter no-show puts WIMPs in a bind.

Despite tantalising early hints of a sighting, the most sensitive search yet for dark matter has come up empty. First results from the Large Underground Xenon (LUX) detector in South Dakota, announced today, failed to confirm previous potential sightings reported by other detectors.

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
30-10-2013, 07:37 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2013 07:42 PM by houseofcantor.)
Banknotes featuring scientists and mathematicians. How cool is that? Wink

(Pix too big for this place, I guess... Tongue )

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
30-10-2013, 07:47 PM
(30-10-2013 07:37 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Banknotes featuring scientists and mathematicians. How cool is that? Wink

Very!

[Image: 46003-1.gif]

This is ours (my primary/middle school was named after him, too)

31-10-2013, 08:44 AM
No dark matter yet at LUX.
[Image: _70788615_p901380022-6.jpg]
A 300 day detection experiment is soon to begin.
[Image: _70788617_p761455461-6.jpg]
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24733131

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
31-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Dogs know a left-sided wag from a right... and in typical, left-bashing vein, left is obviously bad. What else is new Dodgy

"Dogs recognize and respond differently when their fellow canines wag to the right than they do when they wag to the left. The findings reported in the Cell Press journal Current Biology on October 31 show that dogs, like humans, have asymmetrically organized brains, with the left and right sides playing different roles.

The discovery follows earlier work by the same Italian research team, which found that dogs wag to the right when they feel positive emotions (upon seeing their owners, for instance) and to the left when they feel negative emotions (upon seeing an unfriendly dog, for example). That biased tail-wagging behavior reflects what is happening in the dogs' brains. Left-brain activation produces a wag to the right, and right-brain activation produces a wag to the left.

But does that tail-wagging difference mean something to other dogs? Yes it does, the new study shows.

While monitoring their reactions, the researchers showed dogs videos of other dogs with either left- or right-asymmetric tail wagging. When dogs saw another dog wagging to the left, their heart rates picked up and they began to look anxious. When dogs saw another dog wagging to the right, they stayed perfectly relaxed."