The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
31-10-2013, 01:57 PM
RE: The elegant nature of science
(30-10-2013 07:47 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(30-10-2013 07:37 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Banknotes featuring scientists and mathematicians. How cool is that? Wink

Very!

[Image: 46003-1.gif]

This is ours (my primary/middle school was named after him, too)

US money is shit.
I want Richard Feynman on my money!! NOW! Angry

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
31-10-2013, 02:37 PM
(31-10-2013 01:57 PM)kim Wrote:  US money is shit.
I want Richard Feynman on my money!! NOW! Angry

I guess you'll just have to, I don't know, trust in god that this should happen Laughat

The rest of ours have mostly writers and artists on them. And only one politician, but he really deserves it. We don't totally suck. Sometimes Rolleyes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
01-11-2013, 12:33 AM
[Image: skullface_zps2e6b31d2.jpg]

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
01-11-2013, 01:31 PM
8 Glitches in Animal Behavior That Can End in Catastrophe.

"The reason for it, say scientists, is that insects simply haven’t evolved the capacity to be more discriminating in their mating choices. This has led to “mating confusion” in which some bugs try to mate with members of other species — and even inanimate objects like beer bottles. Biologists theorize that same-sex behavior is “worth it” for males because “the cost of rejecting a valid opportunity to mate with a female is greater than than of mistakenly mating with a male.”"

I would argue that a lot of humans haven't either, but that's really neither here nor there. Drinking Beverage

And for those who can't be arsed to read, you should at least watch this example of a filial imprinting gone wrong. Forget about science and all that boring stuff - there is a gosling and puppy in it.

Also! Can someone please come over and hit me over the head or something. I really should stop reading all these articles and get back to work Weeping

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
05-11-2013, 08:32 AM
(01-11-2013 01:31 PM)Vera Wrote:  I would argue that a lot of humans haven't either, but that's really neither here nor there. Drinking Beverage

I have a friend who is a resident in Gastroenterology. Whenever I see him in the hospital hall with that shit-eating grin he has, I just know he will have another "beer-bottle", (or "gerbil" Weeping ) ER "extraction" story.

Anyway. Looks like there are billions of planets in the Milky Way. Many in the habitable zone.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...ed-planets

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
06-11-2013, 04:23 PM
(05-11-2013 08:32 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I have a friend who is a resident in Gastroenterology. Whenever I see him in the hospital hall with that shit-eating grin he has, I just know he will have another "beer-bottle", (or "gerbil" ) ER "extraction" story.

Sweet mother of god, Bucky, I was going more for the battle cry of the pathetic woman, "I'm alone 'cause I'm too intelligent/good/fill-in self-delusion of choice, are there no good men left" kinda thing there. Now I have these horrific images stuck in my head... And stuck was such poor choice of word here, too Weeping

Serves me right for checking in on this thread.

Did life on Earth emerge from clay?

The irony would be too delicious for words. Also, religionists are so going to try and make us eat dirt. Or clay.

PS. Gerbils, really?!?!?!

08-11-2013, 09:50 PM
(06-11-2013 04:23 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(05-11-2013 08:32 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I have a friend who is a resident in Gastroenterology. Whenever I see him in the hospital hall with that shit-eating grin he has, I just know he will have another "beer-bottle", (or "gerbil" ) ER "extraction" story.

Sweet mother of god, Bucky, I was going more for the battle cry of the pathetic woman, "I'm alone 'cause I'm too intelligent/good/fill-in self-delusion of choice, are there no good men left" kinda thing there. Now I have these horrific images stuck in my head... And stuck was such poor choice of word here, too Weeping

The irony would be too delicious for words. Also, religionists are so going to try and make us eat dirt. Or clay.

Weeping
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerbilling
There was someone famous in the ER that came in ... in that condition.
He basically had to leave town when it got around.

08-11-2013, 10:51 PM
(08-11-2013 09:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 04:23 PM)Vera Wrote:  Sweet mother of god, Bucky, I was going more for the battle cry of the pathetic woman, "I'm alone 'cause I'm too intelligent/good/fill-in self-delusion of choice, are there no good men left" kinda thing there. Now I have these horrific images stuck in my head... And stuck was such poor choice of word here, too Weeping

Weeping

Always heard the rumor about Richard Gere. That who you're referring to?

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
08-11-2013, 11:01 PM
(08-11-2013 10:51 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 09:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Weeping

Always heard the rumor about Richard Gere. That who you're referring to?

No. The person was a news anchor.

09-11-2013, 10:07 PM
(08-11-2013 11:01 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 10:51 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Always heard the rumor about Richard Gere. That who you're referring to?

No. The person was a news anchor.

As of the mid-1980s, there were no reports in peer-reviewed medical literature describing "gerbilling".

Should this entry be moved to the conspiracy forums? Dodgy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What Science Course(s) Should I Go Into? Cyvas 32 493 28-07-2014 09:36 PM
Last Post: Chas
  Use of the word "science" undergroundp 16 222 05-07-2014 10:53 AM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  Is science in the United States getting worst? Metazoa Zeke 7 149 04-07-2014 08:51 PM
Last Post: Rinpoche
  Youtube and Science vs. Creationism cre8ivmind 5 128 17-06-2014 01:59 PM
Last Post: dancefortwo
  Do we sometimes go too far in Science? JDog554 51 534 04-06-2014 07:26 PM
Last Post: Shadow Fox
  Feline Science - by Full Circle Full Circle 23 1,032 14-05-2014 04:49 PM
Last Post: Bows and Arrows
  Sensory Benches to connect with nature- Scotland Bows and Arrows 3 95 12-05-2014 08:11 AM
Last Post: Mathilda