26-12-2013, 07:01 PM
RE: The elegant nature of science

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
30-12-2013, 03:37 AM
That the Higgs boson sounds like... habanera. No wonder I love Cuban music.

(Sorry if it's been posted before.)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
30-12-2013, 04:00 AM
(01-12-2013 03:48 AM)Vera Wrote:  "If you place 32 metronomes on a static object and set them rocking out of phase with one another, they will remain that way indefinitely. Place them on a moveable surface, however, and something very interesting (and very mesmerizing) happens.

The metronomes in this video fall into the latter camp. Energy from the motion of one ticking metronome can affect the motion of every metronome around it, while the motion of every other metronome affects the motion of our original metronome right back. All this inter-metranome "communication" is facilitated by the board, which serves as an energetic intermediary between all the metronomes that rest upon its surface. The metronomes in this video (which are really just pendulums, or, if you want to get really technical, oscillators) are said to be "coupled."

Rather cool to watch indeed.

However, if I read one more comment or see one more stupid fb post about how crooked stuff is messing up one's "OCD", I'll *&@#*. OCD is not about liking things straight and your room - really tidy, nor is it about making sure that your hands are washed really well. It's not a cute little quirk, that makes you seem oh-so-cool when you're gossiping with your girlfriends in the mall (or whatever it is people of this caliber do). It's ugly and intrusive, and always with you, if not wreaking havoc with your brain at this particular moment, then lurking in the background, ready to pounce again.

/rant. As you were. Rolleyes
I wonder why one of the metronomes in the rightmost column took so long to get in sync with all of the others (2:00-2:40). Consider

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
30-12-2013, 05:55 AM
(30-12-2013 04:00 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I wonder why one of the metronomes in the rightmost column took so long to get in sync with all of the others (2:00-2:40). Consider
What can you expect from a far-righter, other than to rock the board (or boat). Who knows what goes on in their addled, hate-filled brains Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
20-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Peeking inside Schrodinger's box - Malik adds that the beauty of the weak measurement is that it does not destroy the system, unlike most standard measurements of a quantum system, allowing a subsequent measurement—the "strong" measurement of the other variable.

This sequence of weak and strong measurements is then repeated for multiple identically prepared quantum systems, until the wave function is known with the required precision.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
20-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Good morning star shine Rosetta, the earth says hello. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
22-01-2014, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2014 04:11 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(20-01-2014 01:31 PM)Vera Wrote:  Good morning star shine Rosetta, the earth says hello. Smile

I've been meaning to post something about that all week. Big Grin

Not related but, interesting :
http://www.nature.com/news/quantum-physi...E-20140123
http://www.space.com/24353-dark-matter-m...pid=556378

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-01-2014, 07:41 AM
(22-01-2014 01:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Not related but, interesting

Everything and everybody in the Universe is related, Bucky, dear (not too sure about the interesting bit, esp. when some folk are concerned, but that's really neither here nor there. Much like me. Rolleyes )

"Flinders University palaeontologist Professor John Long has found evidence to show that four-legged animals first developed the ability to breathe air as ancient fish in water.

The research shows the Polypterus, the most primitive living bony fish, breathes air through large canals on top of its head called spiracles. The discovery marks the first step in the evolutionary transition of similar ancient fishes to the land as tetrapods, or four-legged animals.

Professor Long, the Strategic Professor in Palaeontology at Flinders, said the research points to the likely conclusion that the ancient Gogonasus – which belonged to a group of fish widely regarded by scientists as the ancestors from whom the first land animals evolved – originally developed its breathing abilities using its spiracles.

"But our research shows that the transformation actually started happening within the fish themselves while they were still in water."

(Also, I'm rather taken with the word spiracle. I'm so easy Blush )

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
29-01-2014, 04:12 PM
(26-01-2014 07:41 AM)Vera Wrote:  (Also, I'm rather taken with the word spiracle. I'm so easy Blush )

For my spiracle loving friend...a Yellow stingray Urobatis jamaicensis

[attachment=1848]

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
29-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Primeval frog. What I like most about the story is not so much about the frog but this:

"But to reach Madagascar from South America, the frogs would have needed to hop along a passageway, possibly through Antarctica, that linked the two landmasses. But that route was submerged underwater by 112 million years ago, Evans said.

That would mean that devil frogs must have diverged from their South American cousins prior to that submergence, pushing back the origin of Ceratophryidae by more than 40 million years, Evans said."

http://www.livescience.com/42928-devil-f...pid=556399

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Use of the word "science" undergroundp 16 213 05-07-2014 10:53 AM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  Is science in the United States getting worst? Metazoa Zeke 7 141 04-07-2014 08:51 PM
Last Post: Rinpoche
  What Science Course(s) Should I Go Into? Cyvas 27 381 03-07-2014 06:52 PM
Last Post: natachan
  Youtube and Science vs. Creationism cre8ivmind 5 121 17-06-2014 01:59 PM
Last Post: dancefortwo
  Do we sometimes go too far in Science? JDog554 51 510 04-06-2014 07:26 PM
Last Post: Shadow Fox
  Feline Science - by Full Circle Full Circle 23 1,016 14-05-2014 04:49 PM
Last Post: Bows and Arrows
  Sensory Benches to connect with nature- Scotland Bows and Arrows 3 95 12-05-2014 08:11 AM
Last Post: Mathilda