The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
30-01-2014, 06:51 AM
RE: The elegant nature of science
(29-01-2014 04:12 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  For my spiracle loving friend...

Well, I've just realised that that name sounds way too much like a weird combination between sperm and oracle. And frankly, I have more than enough of both of those in my current book, so... Undecided But ain't this just like life - you see something in the distance that looks like a prince... only to find out when you come to take a closer look, it's just a common frog.

Speaking of which, I see your frog and raise you a flying snake.

"'They turn their whole body into one aerodynamic surface', explains Socha – who has spent much of his career unpicking details of the snake's flying style, and has now turned his attention to the animal's intriguing body shape to find out how they generate the lift they require to remain airborne. According to Socha, the snakes flex their ribs as they launch to stretch and flatten the body to change their profile from a circle into an arched semi-circle: 'It looks like someone's version of a UFO', laughs Socha, adding that as aerofoils go it's an unconventional shape."

On second thought, frogs are actually useful and some are even cute, while princes are either an overused (and hella stupid) cliché or an ugly relic from an uglier past. Won't say that "[with] the guts of the last priest let's strangle the neck of the last king." (which, btw, is originally a quote by Jean Meslier, himself a priest. An atheist priest!), 'cause I ain't a violent person, but I so wish they'd hurry and disappear on their own already. Dodgy

[Image: amazon-milk-frog.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
30-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Researchers have in fact suggested that the Big Bang should have forged magnetic monopoles as elementary particles, but so far no one has ever detected such things or created them in the lab. Publishing today in Nature2, a team led by David Hall at Amherst College in Massachusetts has recreated Dirac’s monopole by simulating one in a cloud of super-cold rubidium atoms.

Cause I love my Gwynnies and I need no evil. Angel

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
31-01-2014, 07:06 AM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2014 07:22 AM by Vera.)
Johnny, read that a couple of days ago. Will even pretend I understood it Tongue

In unrelated news - size really does matter. Just not the one you'd think.

"Instead, the team found that bigger sperm – those with longer tails, called flagellum –were only the fastest in species with external fertilisation, such as fish or mussels. In animals with internal fertilisation, like emu, bigger sperm were often the slowest.[...]but if you have a bigger head and a smaller tail it seemed you swam faster if you were internally fertilizing."

Have finally been proven right - heads (and what's in them) is what matters the most. Angel

Oh, and take a gander at this - the weather of 2013. You can even see Haiyan at 6:45.

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
08-02-2014, 09:52 PM
What Earth looks like from planet Mars.

http://www.space.com/24593-mars-rover-cu...hotos.html

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
08-02-2014, 09:54 PM
Wind map of Earth updated every 3 hours, zoom in or out, rotate and click on any point to see wind speed.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/win...,22.38,416

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
12-02-2014, 04:50 PM
"A new nonprofit called OpenBiome is hoping to do for fecal transplants what blood banks have done for transfusions. It’s a kind of Brown Cross."

And I'm being totally serious. I think it is elegant and awesome that people could think of something, on the face of it, so "disgusting", just to better the lives of others. It's moments like this that I'm reminded anew that there's a lot of good in people.

And that it comes in all shapes and forms. And from all orifices. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
12-02-2014, 10:26 PM
(31-01-2014 07:06 AM)Vera Wrote:  "Instead, the team found that bigger sperm – those with longer tails, called flagellum –were only the fastest in species with external fertilization, such as fish or mussels. In animals with internal fertilization, like emu, bigger sperm were often the slowest.[...]but if you have a bigger head and a smaller tail it seemed you swam faster if you were internally fertilizing."

They (Embryologists) know that the "fastest" is not the one that actually does the fertilization. The first (few, I think, but at least one) inject some enzymes, to prepare the ovum for a spermie to follow. "Slow and steady wins da race".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

13-02-2014, 02:32 AM
(12-02-2014 10:26 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  They (Embryologists) know that the "fastest" is not the one that actually does the fertilization. The first (few, I think, but at least one) inject some enzymes, to prepare the ovum for a spermie to follow. "Slow and steady wins da race".

Ha, who would've thought Ecclesiastes knew what it was talking about. And here I was, thinking it was just a way to console yourself when you're just not good enough. All I need now is to learn how to use it on myself and actually believe it.

Gotta go - there's impossible work to be done attempted.

02-03-2014, 02:39 PM
I... I... I don't think I have words for this. And if I did, elegant wouldn't be one of them.

Still: Laser beam makes flies flirt...

... with a ball of wax.

Apparently, "a flipped mental switch is all it takes to make a fly fall in love." And not just flies, either. Ha! What do you know, I'm not that lost for words (and obvious jokes) after all. Rolleyes

Oh! And: "A flash of laser light can alter the brains of fruit flies so that they learn to fear pain that they never actually felt."

So, this is what all those kids who pull off the wings of flies grow up to be? Scientists!

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
06-03-2014, 09:33 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2014 11:55 AM by Bucky Ball.)
How's THIS for "elegant" ?
Pretty damn elegant I think. I always thought something like this would be tried.
There's another study (I thought) in the pipeline, that did the same thing by disabling replication, but by use of (forced) rapid mutation rates
from use of (already approved) chemotherapy. Haven't heard anything about that for a while.
Hopefully this can be tweaked, and work better.
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJ...d_genetics
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/06/health....html?_r=0
When they become adept at this gene-snipping, it will "spill-over" into many other areas.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)