The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-02-2015, 08:24 AM
RE: The elegant nature of science
Happy Darwin Day science aficionados!

Never mistake the grandeur of the cosmos for god.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Pie's post
12-02-2015, 08:30 AM
Oh, a meteor exploded over New Zealand the other day lighting up the sky of the entire North Island (it happened just as it was getting dark which made it more amazing).
I didn't see it personally because I don't go outside, government satellites and all that, but the video's are pretty cool.

It was about a meter or two in length when it exploded.

Shit like this never happens to us, Russia is the one that always seems to get the exciting shit.

[Image: oscar.png]
12-02-2015, 09:54 AM
That's pretty cool, Muffy! Smile

Driving in the middle of the night, I've seen quite a few meteors burn up ...the fireball and trail is really amazing. Camping out in the middle of nowhere, far from city lights would be a great opportunity to see stuff like that. I bet it happens in NZ more than you think. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
12-02-2015, 11:40 AM
(12-02-2015 08:24 AM)Pie Wrote:  Happy Darwin Day science aficionados!

My biological anthropology professor usually hangs up the following picture and hands out cupcakes in honor of the occasion.

[Image: 6Ug3cz.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like ghostexorcist's post
12-02-2015, 09:21 PM
(12-02-2015 09:54 AM)kim Wrote:  That's pretty cool, Muffy! Smile

Driving in the middle of the night, I've seen quite a few meteors burn up ...the fireball and trail is really amazing. Camping out in the middle of nowhere, far from city lights would be a great opportunity to see stuff like that. I bet it happens in NZ more than you think. Shy

Maybe, I don't see it though.
I'v seen a shooting star once in my life. I was laying in bed at my parents house looking out the window at the stars (they live in the country) and I saw a meteor scream across the sky, tail and all, and than it just disappeared. Assumingly it burned up.

[Image: oscar.png]
12-02-2015, 09:38 PM
(12-02-2015 08:30 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Oh, a meteor exploded over New Zealand the other day lighting up the sky of the entire North Island (it happened just as it was getting dark which made it more amazing).
I didn't see it personally because I don't go outside, government satellites and all that, but the video's are pretty cool.

It was about a meter or two in length when it exploded.

Shit like this never happens to us, Russia is the one that always seems to get the exciting shit.

You don't go outside ?
Like EVER ? Gasp

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
15-02-2015, 06:30 PM
I just learned of "bubble rings" and how cetaceans (whales and dolphins) produce these as a form of intelligent play. The following video shows a dolphin creating several smaller bubbles from a larger one. The complex way in which he/she manipulates them reminds me of a human child manipulating their toy. Here is a paper on the phenomenon.

http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/facult...P.2000.pdf

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
17-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Manganese Nodules on the bottom of the sea

http://www.livescience.com/49820-mangane...pid=559125

"Scientists think the nodules grow very slowly, padding themselves by less than an inch (1 centimeter) in a million years. The largest nodules found by the R/V Sonne scientists could be as old as 10 million years, Devey said. Because the spheres are so old, they could provide a record of past climate change, he added.”

If they’ve been there that long I don’t get how thet haven’t been covered by “marine snow”?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_snow

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
28-02-2015, 01:32 AM
Fun facts about the Universe. The bit about seeing galaxies moving faster than he speed of light hurt my brain.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
01-03-2015, 09:52 AM
This is umm, different : (bright spots on a dwarf planet near you)
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015...rm=nprnews
I suppose it's volcanic ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.