The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
16-06-2015, 06:40 AM
RE: The elegant nature of science
Ambulance Drone - finally a sensible reason to use them.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
17-06-2015, 09:38 PM
http://www.kare11.com/story/news/health/.../28897913/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
18-06-2015, 05:30 AM
(17-06-2015 09:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  http://www.kare11.com/story/news/health/.../28897913/

the article Wrote:Dr. Konstantinos Lazaridis, the associate director at the Mayo Clinic Center for Individualized Medicine, said the new approach can turn off the genes that prevent cancer from growing.

I rather doubt he said that. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-06-2015, 08:45 AM
There will be a leap second adjustment of Coordinated Universal Time on 30 June 2015.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-06-2015, 08:49 AM
(18-06-2015 05:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-06-2015 09:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  http://www.kare11.com/story/news/health/.../28897913/

the article Wrote:Dr. Konstantinos Lazaridis, the associate director at the Mayo Clinic Center for Individualized Medicine, said the new approach can turn off the genes that prevent cancer from growing.

I rather doubt he said that. Dodgy

Yeah, I was looking into this "announcement". Looks more like a PR "stunt" now a day later, as he didn't (that I could see) link it to any individual study. My cousins sent me the link, all excited. I was like "really ?"

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
28-06-2015, 07:14 AM
Useful but awkward

Condoms that change colors if they detect STI’s

http://www.sciencealert.com/students-hav...2015-06-24

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
28-06-2015, 10:57 AM
(16-06-2015 06:40 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Ambulance Drone - finally a sensible reason to use them.
Someday this will likely be common place reality.
But you just know that at least once during their initial use, one of those things will land on the poor unconscious guy's face.
"Sir? Sir? Can you hear me? The good news is we were able to revive you. The bad news.... Would rather look like John Travolta or Nicholas Cage?"

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes LostLocke's post
02-07-2015, 02:43 AM
"When some people get nervous, they talk too much. When some sea squirts get a case of the nerves, they project their innards out of their bodies, Discover reports. Thought to be a defense mechanism that discourages fish and other animals from taking a nibble, the tube-shaped organism, also known as an ascidian (Polycarpa mytiligera), then grows its missing digestive track back within 12 days, scientists say in Scientific Reports. In the study, 47% of 66 squirts, which live on coral reefs in tropical waters, ejected material that in some cases included the stomach, intestine, and part of the rectum. "

"But in the bedroom, these flatworms take kink to a whole new level: when they can’t find a partner, they will stab themselves in the head with their needle-like penises and inject sperm to self-fertilize. In principle, it is what scientists call hypodermic insemination: the practice of forcefully depositing sperm outside a female genital tract—and yes, it’s as usually as rough as it sounds.

Since most flatworm species are hermaphrodites, the decision of who gets to inseminate whom is settled in a rather special way: penis fencing. Two individuals will, quite literally, use their male copulatory parts (called stylets) in bizarrely beautiful combat until one is able to plunge his sperm-delivering organ into the other’s body. The then-labeled “male” in this exchange earnestly injects his sperm, then disengages, leaving the now-female with the burden of bearing the pair’s young.

But what if a penis-fencing male can’t find a sparring partner? According to new research just published in Proceedings of the Royal Society B, they just inject themselves instead."

And swimming with turtles, because - why not (other than, because turtles are scary)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
05-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Convergent evolution Smile

"Convergent evolution is the independent evolution of similar features in species of different lineages. Convergent evolution creates analogous structures that have similar form or function, but that were not present in the last common ancestor of those groups.”

I took this image of a Leopard toadfish, Opsanus pardus (aptly named)

compared to its namesake

[Image: African-leopard-walking.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
14-07-2015, 09:08 PM
I miss Feynman.

“I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of uncertainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure of anything and there are many things I don't know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask why we're here. I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell.”

Richard Feynman

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like Ted Tucker's post