The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-07-2015, 07:19 AM
RE: The elegant nature of science
It was only a matter of time Smile

A Fossil Snake With Four Legs
http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/...11282067=1

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
24-07-2015, 07:35 AM
(24-07-2015 07:19 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  It was only a matter of time Smile

Oh shit!

If it also has vocal chords, we're going to have do a major re-think about the garden of Eden.

Unsure

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
24-07-2015, 07:40 AM
(24-07-2015 07:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(24-07-2015 07:19 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  It was only a matter of time Smile

Oh shit!

If it also has vocal chords, we're going to have do a major re-think about the garden of Eden.

Unsure

Not to worry. They all have vestigial legs (I think).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-07-2015, 03:38 PM
As someone pointed out online - "If god took away the snakes ability to walk, then the skeleton shouldn't have legs..." Unless god was being his usual sloppy self again Dodgy

"Researchers have artificially engineered a complete ribosome—the cell-based machine that translates mRNA into proteins—in the laboratory. The ability to engineer the ribosome not only could help scientists understand how the protein-maker works, but it also could endow the ribosome with new functions. For drug discovery and basic research, engineered ribosomes could create nonnatural proteins or even nonprotein polymers that would be difficult or impossible for native ribosomes to make.

Ribosomes have two independent parts, small and large subunits, which come together in cells to form a complete structure when protein translation is needed. Small ribosomal subunits that make a specific protein have been prepared by genetic engineering before, but not the entire ribosome.

Mankin, Jewett, and coworkers made Ribo-T by engineering ribosomal RNAs, the main components of the small and large subunits, into a single hybrid gene that included two short polyadenine RNA linkers to connect the RNAs. Then the team introduced the modified gene into bacteria. The bacterial cells transcribed the gene into tethered ribosomal RNAs, which then joined with ribosomal proteins made by the cells to form the complete ribosome.

Ribo-T can replace all of a bacterium’s natural ribosomes, can express all native proteins in the bacterial genome, and works nearly half as fast as native ribosomes—fast enough to sustain norm

“It’s an impressive body of work that will enable the directed or random evolution of ribosomes with modifications that allow synthetic amino acids to be more efficiently incorporated, or even to expand the genetic code."

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
14-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Our Lord and Savior has been found on the ocean bottom Shocking

'Spaghetti Monster'? Deep-Sea Critter Has Pasta-Like Appendages

http://www.livescience.com/51854-spaghet...2015-08-14

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
19-08-2015, 05:44 PM
The Magnus Effect...cool beans.

[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
19-08-2015, 06:18 PM
I don't know if this clip or something like this has been posted prior, probably has.

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/B6mHdEKIAAAaabZ.mp4

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
22-08-2015, 12:26 PM
(18-11-2011 11:33 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I wanted to start a thread where we could post some videos about the beauty of science and nature. There are two videos I want to start off with. Video 1 is simply cool. The second video is a Ted talk that you may recognize as being used in the first video. This is a talk from 2008 by Brian cox about the Large Hadron Collider.

My favorite moments in these videos are 1) The quotes about the universe being composed of 12 particles and 4 forces of nature and 2) the Scientific Creation story that Brian Cox paints. It is beautiful elegant and simple. It nearly brings a tear to my eye when thinking about it.

I must admit to being very emotional at the elegant story that science can tell us about our universe and how we fit in it. I NEVER got this emotional when hearing the biblical story of creation nor the biblical explanations of life, but the beauty of science leaves me in tears.

Really good videos. The second video must have been from before the discovery of the Higgs Boson, based on the equation he spoke about.

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-08-2015, 09:02 AM
the bee's knees
Quote:As the empirical data underscoring the fact that world farming is not facing a beemageddon has strengthened, anti-pesticide activists have attempted to shift public focus away from commercial bees, which are more than holding their own, to wild bees. It’s an issue that resonates with concerned citizens: because our food supply is so dependent on bee pollination, by the activists’ own admission, the disappearance of wild bees would necessarily have an impact on our crop production. No wild bees, no food. This transfigured narrative also offers its purveyors a unique ideological benefit: there are no reliable counts for wild bees populations, so any claim of imminent danger can stand unchallenged by the facts.

But that narrative does not survive scrutiny either. In a groundbreaking study published in June in Nature Communications, 58 scientists from around the world found that the vast majority of wild bee species that they examined are prospering.

http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/20...wild-bees/

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
25-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Cool! (And I feel a lot better, now.)

Beemageddon. Funny!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson