The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-09-2015, 09:23 AM
RE: The elegant nature of science
[Image: B5UHjd7.jpg]

Quote:This is an approximately real-color image above from the Hubble Space Telescope, of galaxy cluster Abell 3827. The galaxy cluster is made of hundreds of yellowish galaxies. At its core, four giant galaxies are smashing into each other. As the topmost of the four galaxies fell in, it left its dark matter trailing behind. The dark matter is invisible in this image, but its position is revealed by tell-tale gravitational lensing of an unrelated spiral galaxy behind the cluster, whose distorted image is seen as a blue arc. Trailing dark matter is predicted by theories in which dark matter is not perfectly dark, but feels more of the fundamental forces than just gravity.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-09-2015, 09:40 PM
We're sending a probe to Europa! Yeah! I've always wondered why we haven't checked it out. Apparently there's twice the amount of water on Europa as there is in all of earth's oceans. Wouldn't it be wizard if there was life there, even just microbial? It would validate the idea that life is common throughout the universe, I think. Sometimes I'm amazed at what can/will be discovered in my lifetime...unfortunately it won't launch until the mid 2020's, then it will take a while to get there.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4627

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Imathinker's post
16-09-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:Heliophysicist Maher Dayeh of the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio and colleagues sparked their own lightning by firing a long, Kevlar-coated copper wire into an electrically charged cloud using a small rocket. The resulting lightning followed the conductive wire to the ground. Using 15 sensitive microphones laid out 95 meters from the strike zone, Dayeh said he and his colleagues precisely recorded the incoming sound waves. Because sound waves from higher elevations took longer to reach the microphones, the scientists could create an acoustic map of the lightning strike with “surprising detail,” Dayeh said. He presented the results May 5 at a meeting of the American Geophysical Union and other organizations.

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
17-09-2015, 02:19 AM
The beauty of nature, found in the 7 levels of the atmosphere, included the formation of a child in a womb, was revealed in detail during the 6th century
17-09-2015, 02:36 AM
(17-09-2015 02:19 AM)ahp2015 Wrote:  The beauty of nature, found in the 7 levels of the atmosphere, included the formation of a child in a womb, was revealed in detail during the 6th century

... so you'd think the revelation would actually be correct, wouldn't you?

I wonder why they got it wrong ... hmmm, let me see.

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
17-09-2015, 03:03 AM
(17-09-2015 02:19 AM)ahp2015 Wrote:  The beauty of nature, found in the 7 levels of the atmosphere, included the formation of a child in a womb, was revealed in detail during the 6th century

Blink
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
17-09-2015, 03:09 AM

[Image: citation_needed.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
17-09-2015, 03:52 AM
Dammit DLJ! Laugh out load

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
18-09-2015, 06:03 PM
Surface of Pluto - New Horizons.

[Image: Gv1XwDX.jpg]

living word
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
22-09-2015, 06:24 PM
20 PhD Students Dumb Down Their Thesis Just For Us Smile

1. Does music express emotions or just elicit them? Read the next 200 pages to not find out.
- Welldogmycats

2. Girls take birth control. Girls then pee out unmetabolized estrogens from birth control. Pee goes to water treatment plant, estrogens not treated, male fish become female fish.
- Altzul

3. Nanoparticles are weird and I accidentally made a bomb and electrocuted myself.
-M33

4. People trying meditation for the first time get aroused.
- PainMatrix

5. When I get rid of this gene, it messes the brain up. A lot.
- NeuroscienceNerd

6. Computer AI systems can learn to operate a warp drive and automatically build an instructional system to train people how to do it. My dissertation is probably the only one in existence to reference the Star Trek technical manual.
- DrBiometrics

7. My experimental drug does NOT cure addiction.
- NotSoCleverPork

8. Making new magnets from old magnets because we're running out of magnets.
- IAmAHiggsBoson

9. Inpatients with schizophrenia are happier and socialize more in the context of a music listening group. It was obvious before we began the project and we learned nothing.
- Wouldyestap

10. Little things stick together. Here's a slightly easier way to calculate their stickiness.
- Born2bwire

11. There are amoebas living in volcanos, but I never captured Bigfoot on film (I tried).
- RNAPII

12. We can take random pieces of bacterial DNA from beaver poop and put them into other bacteria to discover new things, like how to break wood down into biofuels. Yes, I had to dissect dead beavers and handle their poop.
- Geneius

13. This protein looks like it might contribute to asthma. Oh, turns out it probably doesn't.
- Bear_Ear_Fritters

14. I crunch numbers using a supercomputer in the hopes of ensuring a fusion reactor in France doesn't get fried on the inside.
- PhysicsFornicator

15. Two proteins touch each other in a specific place in the developing heart. No idea if it's important for anything.
- Penguinpaige

16. I can make models of galaxies in a computer, but I can't explain why they don't act like real ones. Even if I bash them together or stir them around.
- McMillan_Astro

17. People sometimes think about animals as if they're people. People like those animals a little more than regular animals. Except when they don't. I can't believe they gave me a PhD.
- too_many_mangos

18. Sand washes away, don't build important stuff on it
- Zoidy

19. Why does a coffee stain looks the way it is, and how you can use it to make anti-laser glasses.
- Stockholm-Syndrom

20. You can make antimatter move in strange ways if you set your equipment up wrong.
- DrTBag

I kinda like 17 & 18 best.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post