The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
25-09-2015, 05:49 AM
RE: The elegant nature of science
Quote:This won’t lead to anything remotely like The Day After Tomorrow (which was indeed based — quite loosely — on precisely this climate scenario). But if the trend continues, there could be many consequences, including rising seas for the U.S. East Coast and, possibly, a difference in temperature overall in the North Atlantic and Europe.

Reminds me of that little ditty I wrote back when I acted like prophecy meant predicting the future.

Where were you when the human race had run
in 2021.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2015, 02:20 PM

Breakdown of making of - http://imgur.com/a/Ur5dP

[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-09-2015, 06:00 PM
Light caught in the act - with a trillion-frame-per-second camera. Shocking

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-09-2015, 08:37 PM
(28-09-2015 06:00 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Light caught in the act - with a trillion-frame-per-second camera. Shocking

The Edgerton Museum is just down the road from where I live. Never been there. Its a cool place to visit,if your on I-80.

Never mistake the grandeur of the cosmos for god.
Find all posts by this user
30-09-2015, 02:53 AM
(18-11-2011 11:33 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I wanted to start a thread where we could post some videos about the beauty of science and nature. There are two videos I want to start off with. Video 1 is simply cool. The second video is a Ted talk that you may recognize as being used in the first video. This is a talk from 2008 by Brian cox about the Large Hadron Collider.

My favorite moments in these videos are 1) The quotes about the universe being composed of 12 particles and 4 forces of nature and 2) the Scientific Creation story that Brian Cox paints. It is beautiful elegant and simple. It nearly brings a tear to my eye when thinking about it.

I must admit to being very emotional at the elegant story that science can tell us about our universe and how we fit in it. I NEVER got this emotional when hearing the biblical story of creation nor the biblical explanations of life, but the beauty of science leaves me in tears.

Science did all that for you,? caused you to tear ,
Seeing God's Creation around me and thinking that God created that for me to enjoy while on this earth that He Created, brings tears to my eyes.
30-09-2015, 03:14 AM
(30-09-2015 02:53 AM)bakerjohn Wrote:  ...
Seeing God's Creation around me and thinking that God created that for me to enjoy while on this earth that He Created, brings tears to my eyes.

I often well up when I think that I was never a special enough snowflake for god(s) to make it all for me.... just for lil ol' me.

Weeping

Welcome, bakerjohn, to TTA.

Wink

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
30-09-2015, 05:19 AM
I hadda go find some science to counter this influx of nonsense. And it's entropy - you know how that stuff gives me a chub. Big Grin

Quote:"Lindblad's entropy inequality underlies many limiting statements, in some cases said to be physical laws or principles," Wilde said. "Examples are the uncertainty principle and the second law of thermodynamics. Another example is that this entropy inequality is the core step in determining limitations on how much data we can communicate over quantum communication channels. We could go as far as to say that the above entropy inequality constitutes a fundamental law of quantum information theory, which is a direct mathematical consequence of the postulates of quantum mechanics."

30-09-2015, 05:44 AM
Quote:Can portabella mushrooms stop cell phone batteries from degrading over time?

Researchers at the University of California, Riverside Bourns College of Engineering think so.

They have created a new type of lithium-ion battery anode using portabella mushrooms, which are inexpensive, environmentally friendly and easy to produce. The current industry standard for rechargeable lithium-ion battery anodes is synthetic graphite, which comes with a high cost of manufacturing because it requires tedious purification and preparation processes that are also harmful to the environment.

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
30-09-2015, 11:14 AM
(30-09-2015 05:44 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
Quote:Can portabella mushrooms stop cell phone batteries from degrading over time?

Researchers at the University of California, Riverside Bourns College of Engineering think so.

They have created a new type of lithium-ion battery anode using portabella mushrooms, which are inexpensive, environmentally friendly and easy to produce. The current industry standard for rechargeable lithium-ion battery anodes is synthetic graphite, which comes with a high cost of manufacturing because it requires tedious purification and preparation processes that are also harmful to the environment.

Ohmy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
30-09-2015, 07:33 PM
(30-09-2015 03:14 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(30-09-2015 02:53 AM)bakerjohn Wrote:  ...

I often well up when I think that I was never a special enough snowflake for god(s) to make it all for me.... just for lil ol' me.

Weeping

Welcome, bakerjohn, to TTA.

Wink

“It doesn't seem to me that this fantastically marvelous universe, this tremendous range of time and space and different kinds of animals, and all the different planets, and all these atoms with all their motions, and so on, all this complicated thing can merely be a stage so that God can watch human beings struggle for good and evil - which is the view that religion has. The stage is too big for the drama.”
― Richard Feynman

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein