The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
30-09-2015, 08:50 PM
RE: The elegant nature of science
(30-09-2015 05:44 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
Quote:Can portabella mushrooms stop cell phone batteries from degrading over time?

Researchers at the University of California, Riverside Bourns College of Engineering think so.

They have created a new type of lithium-ion battery anode using portabella mushrooms, which are inexpensive, environmentally friendly and easy to produce. The current industry standard for rechargeable lithium-ion battery anodes is synthetic graphite, which comes with a high cost of manufacturing because it requires tedious purification and preparation processes that are also harmful to the environment.

I know that I get recharged when I sautée some of them to eat with that T-Bone steak that I get to eat about once every three months, because I'm trying to keep my cholesterol down, and not take statins, which tear me up.

Cool article. Nature has sorted out a lot of problems in terms of thermodynamic efficiency. We just need to figure it out and exploit it like the brainy apes that we are!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2015, 07:20 AM
Someone mentions mushrooms and I magically appear! How does that happen? Consider

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-10-2015, 08:26 AM
(18-11-2011 11:33 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I wanted to start a thread where we could post some videos about the beauty of science and nature. There are two videos I want to start off with. Video 1 is simply cool. The second video is a Ted talk that you may recognize as being used in the first video. This is a talk from 2008 by Brian cox about the Large Hadron Collider.

My favorite moments in these videos are 1) The quotes about the universe being composed of 12 particles and 4 forces of nature and 2) the Scientific Creation story that Brian Cox paints. It is beautiful elegant and simple. It nearly brings a tear to my eye when thinking about it.

I must admit to being very emotional at the elegant story that science can tell us about our universe and how we fit in it. I NEVER got this emotional when hearing the biblical story of creation nor the biblical explanations of life, but the beauty of science leaves me in tears.
12 particles and 4 forces. Caught my eye. Could anyone please give reference to reading material pertaining to these things. Thank you in advance.
01-10-2015, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2015 08:37 AM by Octapulse.)
(01-10-2015 08:26 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(18-11-2011 11:33 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I wanted to start a thread where we could post some videos about the beauty of science and nature. There are two videos I want to start off with. Video 1 is simply cool. The second video is a Ted talk that you may recognize as being used in the first video. This is a talk from 2008 by Brian cox about the Large Hadron Collider.

My favorite moments in these videos are 1) The quotes about the universe being composed of 12 particles and 4 forces of nature and 2) the Scientific Creation story that Brian Cox paints. It is beautiful elegant and simple. It nearly brings a tear to my eye when thinking about it.

I must admit to being very emotional at the elegant story that science can tell us about our universe and how we fit in it. I NEVER got this emotional when hearing the biblical story of creation nor the biblical explanations of life, but the beauty of science leaves me in tears.
12 particles and 4 forces. Caught my eye. Could anyone please give reference to reading material pertaining to these things. Thank you in advance.

Any search on the standard model in particle physics or quantum mechanics will give you what you are looking for

http://m.particleadventure.org/standard-...del-1.html

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
01-10-2015, 08:40 AM
(01-10-2015 08:26 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  12 particles and 4 forces. Caught my eye. Could anyone please give reference to reading material pertaining to these things. Thank you in advance.

[Image: standardmodel.gif]

Standard Model

There's a Higgs in there now. Wink

[Image: 375px-Standard_Model_of_Elementary_Particles.svg.png]

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
01-10-2015, 08:46 AM
My ignorance is quite high on his particular topic. What is a good factual base reference that I could read in order to gain a base working knowledge of this topic. Thanks again
01-10-2015, 08:47 AM
Please don't feed the trolls

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
01-10-2015, 08:57 AM
(01-10-2015 08:46 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  My ignorance is quite high ...

Nah... too easy.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
01-10-2015, 09:22 AM
Surely some peaceful intelligent thinking atheist will help in my understanding without being a douche.
01-10-2015, 09:24 AM
(01-10-2015 08:46 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  My ignorance is quite high on his particular topic. What is a good factual base reference that I could read in order to gain a base working knowledge of this topic. Thanks again

Blue text above indicate links for your perusal.

(01-10-2015 08:47 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Please don't feed the trolls

You're not the boss of me. Tongue

Now back on point:

Quote:Kumu’s founders developed hardware and software that enables a radio’s receiver to filter out interference from outgoing signals. The device can then transmit and receive at the same time—what Kumu calls a “full duplex” connection—doubling the effective capacity of a single radio channel or making it possible to use one where two were needed before (see “The Clever Circuit That Doubles Bandwidth”).

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]