The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
20-03-2016, 06:14 PM
RE: The elegant nature of science
http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/18/us/hubble-...index.html
Cool.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-03-2016, 07:35 AM
(18-11-2011 11:33 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I wanted to start a thread where we could post some videos about the beauty of science and nature. There are two videos I want to start off with. Video 1 is simply cool. The second video is a Ted talk that you may recognize as being used in the first video. This is a talk from 2008 by Brian cox about the Large Hadron Collider.

My favorite moments in these videos are 1) The quotes about the universe being composed of 12 particles and 4 forces of nature and 2) the Scientific Creation story that Brian Cox paints. It is beautiful elegant and simple. It nearly brings a tear to my eye when thinking about it.

I must admit to being very emotional at the elegant story that science can tell us about our universe and how we fit in it. I NEVER got this emotional when hearing the biblical story of creation nor the biblical explanations of life, but the beauty of science leaves me in tears.

I have to stop myself from crying when I hear a science story
I have to stop myself from falling asleep when I hear a biblical story
Tongue
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Kyx's post
23-03-2016, 05:01 PM
The conflict between science and religion lies in our brains, researchers say
March 23, 2016

Excerpts:

"To believe in a supernatural god or universal spirit, people appear to suppress the brain network used for analytical thinking and engage the empathetic network, the scientists say. When thinking analytically about the physical world, people appear to do the opposite.”

"A stream of research in cognitive psychology has shown and claims that people who have faith (i.e., are religious or spiritual) are not as smart as others. They actually might claim they are less intelligent.," said Richard Boyatzis, distinguished university professor and professor of organizational behavior at Case Western Reserve, and a member of Jack's team.
“Our studies confirmed that statistical relationship, but at the same time showed that people with faith are more prosocial and empathic,” he said."

“Atheists, the researchers found, are most closely aligned with psychopaths—not killers, but the vast majority of psychopaths classified as such due to their lack of empathy for others.” Shocking (tell this to the priest class)

"Friedman said, "Having empathy doesn't mean you necessarily have anti-scientific beliefs. Instead, our results suggest that if we only emphasize analytic reasoning and scientific beliefs, as the New Atheist movement suggests, then we are compromising our ability to cultivate a different type of thinking, namely social/moral insight."

http://phys.org/news/2016-03-conflict-sc...rains.html

Self published PLoS one papers aren’t peer review first, I look forward to the comments from the unempathetic scientists. Yes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
23-03-2016, 06:52 PM
Just roll over into the threads here where people talk about their problems and get support. No empathy in atheists, my ass. As far as being a psychopath, I see plenty of that shit on the religious side. YMMV.
07-04-2016, 08:35 AM
A fleet of trucks just drove themselves across Europe

“About a dozen trucks from major manufacturers like Volvo and Daimler just completed a week of largely autonomous driving across Europe, the first such major exercise on the continent."

http://qz.com/656104/a-fleet-of-trucks-j...rmedbroker

How cool is that?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
07-04-2016, 09:33 AM
(07-04-2016 08:35 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  A fleet of trucks just drove themselves across Europe

“About a dozen trucks from major manufacturers like Volvo and Daimler just completed a week of largely autonomous driving across Europe, the first such major exercise on the continent."

http://qz.com/656104/a-fleet-of-trucks-j...rmedbroker

How cool is that?

I am actually working on this. Without being allowed to tell you (too) many details, you will be able to buy the first series passenger cars with this technology from well known (german of course Angel ) OEMs within the next 5 years.
The projects are already kicked off and running, and the (start of) production dates are already set.
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
08-04-2016, 01:23 PM
The gods are jizzing upon us.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
09-04-2016, 06:51 PM
Bullet-stopping foam? Not sci-fi after all
Innovative new substances including metallic foam could be used as bulletproof armor and space-safe heat shields.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Technology/2016...-after-all

12-04-2016, 03:42 AM
(09-04-2016 06:51 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Bullet-stopping foam? Not sci-fi after all
Innovative new substances including metallic foam could be used as bulletproof armor and space-safe heat shields.

disintegrates bullet on impact?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-04-2016, 07:20 AM
(12-04-2016 03:42 AM)Kyx Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 06:51 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Bullet-stopping foam? Not sci-fi after all

disintegrates bullet on impact?

Take a look, sure seems to.

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post