The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
19-04-2016, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2016 06:19 PM by cactus.)
RE: The elegant nature of science
Emergent complexity for the win Big Grin
Something that creationists never quite seem to fully grasp, exponential growth = lots and lots and LOTS of opportunities for things to self-arrange and find energy-efficient local minima in within the vast ocean of mathematical possibilities.
The history of life is not a timeline, it's a tree, a really fucking big tree Cool

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like cactus's post
19-04-2016, 06:24 PM
I love science. I'm always in awe. The universe, evolution, the human brain, the water and rock cycles, I could keep going. There are so many beautiful things. I think it's beautiful that we came naturally. I love to see how humans act and notice how some things are helpful for survival. I'm amazed at how much progress we've made in science and technology. How land mammals could soar through the skies and even see through space. It's truly amazing. We've learned so much about the world around us and the universe and there's still so much to learn.
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post
21-04-2016, 10:23 PM
Great graphics on the movement of our solar system and sun hurtling through space.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
22-04-2016, 05:57 AM
An explainer

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
01-05-2016, 11:30 AM
[Image: hourglass.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
01-05-2016, 09:54 PM
(01-05-2016 11:30 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  [Image: hourglass.jpg]

Heard this relative bit of trivia ...
Regarding the green part - of every human who has ever lived - slightly more than half (estimated) were killed by one particular thing.
What was that thing?
Mosquitos.
Either through infection or some disease like malaria.
Half of all humans who have ever lived. HALF.
Kinda creepy, huh? Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
01-05-2016, 10:29 PM
(01-05-2016 09:54 PM)kim Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 11:30 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  [Image: hourglass.jpg]

Heard this relative bit of trivia ...
Regarding the green part - of every human who has ever lived - slightly more than half (estimated) were killed by one particular thing.
What was that thing?
Mosquitos.
Either through infection or some disease like malaria.
Half of all humans who have ever lived. HALF.
Kinda creepy, huh? Shy

Fuckin' bugs are now propagating the Zika virus all over. Those things are a scourge that makes the fictitious plague shit in the buy-bull seem benign by comparison. Maybe I can pray to gawd to take care of them. Dodgy
01-05-2016, 11:29 PM
The odds of humans being the only intelligent life ever has been calculated at 10 billion trillion to 1.

"Another unknown that remained was how likely advanced life is to evolve on habitable planets. Instead of guessing the odds of that, the astronomers decided to calculate its opposite: how low is the probability that humans make up the only civilization ever to exist in the universe? The answer they found for this is one in 10 billion trillion. In our own galaxy Milky Way, the number rises to one chance in 60 billion.”

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2016/05...stronomers

[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
04-05-2016, 11:32 PM
Worldwide shipping visualization map. Compare New York or any other port to Asia...we are a blip.

http://www.shipmap.org

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
05-05-2016, 09:51 PM
Scientists have discovered an new jelly fish over 2 miles below the ocean that looks like it's CGI...but it's real!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post