The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
02-11-2016, 04:27 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2016 10:01 AM by Vera.)
RE: The elegant nature of science
If the future has taught us anything, it's that a science/religion marriage would never work. Won’t somebody please think of the children!?

[Image: GAULD_2011_Science_and_Religion.jpg]

And if the past has taught us anything, it’s that this place and pretty much all atheist sites would never experience a dearth of laughably ignorant and hateful trolls. So, basically, “yada, yada, yada, conservation of human spirit, yada yada yada, me skeered shitless of dyin’ so I’s gonna be clingin’ to some bronze-age mythology for dear life (literally!)”. This bozo seems to be hanging by such a fine thread, I don’t have the heart to tell him – yes, bozo, you are going to die and your precious, uneducated self will be gone for good and in a couple or so generations it would be completely forgotten. Even less do I have the heart (nah, who am I kidding, I totally do ;-)) to tell him that the universe is going to come to an end, too. Rolleyes

And speaking of the death of the universe, this is by far my favourite scenario. Kurzgesagt videos are the best (and it absolutely pays to hire a voice actor! Incomparable.)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
02-11-2016, 05:01 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2016 05:10 AM by Gloucester.)
R-man, as others have hinted, you do realise you are exhibiting all the nasty personality faults you accuse us atheists of possessing?

BTW, please excuse any typing errors, I have a minor sight problem and no proper spell checker.

And, back to your user name...

Let us look at Wikipedia's entry on the Renaissance:

Quote:The Renaissance (UK /rᵻˈneɪsəns/, US /rɛnəˈsɑːns/)[1] is a period in European history, from the 14th to the 17th century, regarded as the cultural bridge between the Middle Ages and modern history. It started as a cultural movement in Italy in the Late Medieval period and later spread to the rest of Europe, marking the beginning of the Early Modern Age.

The intellectual basis of the Renaissance was its own invented version of humanism, derived from the rediscovery of classical Greek philosophy, such as that of Protagoras, who said that "Man is the measure of all things." This new thinking became manifest in art, architecture, politics, science and literature. Early examples were the development of perspective in oil painting and the recycled knowledge of how to make concrete. Although the invention of metal movable type sped the dissemination of ideas from the later 15th century, the changes of the Renaissance were not uniformly experienced across Europe.

As a cultural movement, the Renaissance encompassed innovative flowering of Latin and vernacular literatures, beginning with the 14th-century resurgence of learning based on classical sources, which contemporaries credited to Petrarch; the development of linear perspective and other techniques of rendering a more natural reality in painting; and gradual but widespread educational reform. In politics, the Renaissance contributed to the development of the customs and conventions of diplomacy, and in science to an increased reliance on observation and inductive reasoning. Although the Renaissance saw revolutions in many intellectual pursuits, as well as social and political upheaval, it is perhaps best known for its artistic developments and the contributions of such polymaths as Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo, who inspired the term "Renaissance man".[2][3]

So , we have humanism, Protagoras, the growth of depicting "what is" instead of "what we believe is" etc. The more you read the more radical, the more grounded in reality, it seems. The more unlike the blind faith of religion.

Yes, for reasons stated before, these men paid lip service to religion, if only to save their own lives and fill their purses - don't forget that the Trumps and Clintons of that time were also deeply religious people, and far more vicious than those types of today. But they could have their sins forgiven by paying for nice religious ornaments, or even chapels, and hire monks to pray for their souls. After all, the bishops needed that income to pay for their opulent palaces!

Today? Frankie is doing his best to be the Pauper Pope, but his flunkies are still probably just as fat and corrupt as ever.

More modern religions? Ever see one of those mega-cathedrals worth millions of what the faithful donated - to the glorification of their God or their pastor? Money that could save lives all over the world. How many pastors have been accused of fraud, embezzlement, adultery, child molesting etc?

I am not trying to villify the religious, I know some who would make fine humanists, I merely attempt to illustrate that there is 'evil', greed and all the other negative human characteristics on both sides.

Before you start throwing stones check-out those gathered to throw with you. Some might well qualify to be targets for exactly the same reasons.

What you believe is no concern of mine, though I am concerned about how much unjustified and ignorant hatred you might pass on to those younger than yourself.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
02-11-2016, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2016 08:27 AM by Fireball.)
The irony of calling himself "Renaissance Man" didn't escape me, either. Again, this guy is a soup sandwich on steroids. And he's tainted this thread with a ton of stupid. Dodgy

Could we have the tainted part carved out and put in a new thread named "Trolling Fuckwit's Reference Guide to Anti-Science on an Atheist Site"? Thumbsup
02-11-2016, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2016 08:32 AM by pablo.)
(01-11-2016 10:39 PM)RenaissanceMan Wrote:  
(01-11-2016 05:31 PM)pablo Wrote:  One of your first posts here was to criticize someone for their use of "there", "their", and "they're" so if you can't take it don't dish it.

1. That post had been extant for a long time, weeks? Months?
2. Not one of you brilliant atheists pointed it out, notwithstading your relentless claim of intellectual superiority.
3. I acknowledged my mistake, apologized for it, and explained my faux pas.

I will continue to dish out anything and everthing I wish to dish out.
It is impossible to placate an army of condescending, arrogant haters, who could hardly "dish out" to me any more than you already have.

Bolding mine.

I haven't claimed any type of superiority, I simply pointed out your own hypocrisy after you jumped on someone else's mistake.
If you can't overlook someone else's minor errors, why should anyone here overlook the major errors you've committed?
18-11-2016, 08:54 PM
It's official: NASA's peer-reviewed EM Drive paper has finally been published
It works.

Which led this virtual scientific wander to consider pilot-wave theory and leading to the question - is this the beginning of the end of Wheeler's nonsense and the silly-assed mulitverse? Big Grin

living word
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
23-11-2016, 02:30 AM
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/11/h...-milky-way

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-11-2016, 07:12 AM
(23-11-2016 02:30 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/11/h...-milky-way

[Image: 5310d97511d44deabd58e4fda22b08dd7872cead...f07694.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
28-11-2016, 07:51 AM
Update to the modern synthesis? If evolution were true, why do they keep fucking with it? Checkmate atheists. Laugh out load

living word
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
04-12-2016, 08:44 PM
Air breathing fish species found in Guyana, I fucking love new discoveries that scream evolution. Yes

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/...picks=true

[Image: 01Arapaima.adapt.1190.1.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
05-12-2016, 11:41 AM
And speaking of breathing...
[Image: 10-24-14.gif]

This lady has some stunning work. Elegant, indeed...

[Image: 12-16-14.gif]

[Image: 01-23-15.gif]

[Image: 08-12-14.gif]

[Image: 07-21-14.png]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post