The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-04-2017, 08:33 AM
RE: The elegant nature of science
(24-04-2017 07:53 AM)Fireball Wrote:  That erection isn't the only effect, or guys would keep a jar of them around for "emergencies".

You know... I'm absolutely sure that there really *would* be guys who'd willingly have their peckers pecked by a spider Rolleyes

The sea of testosterone is a harsh mistress Drinking Beverage

That's gorgeous, Kimmie! That's why I love spring so much (even if I love winter, too), how in just a handful of days everything is completely transformed (I also love timelapse videos of plants to an almost unhealthy degree Blush )

Check out google's doodle for today. I am so gonna miss Cassini Sadcryface

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
26-04-2017, 08:53 AM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2017 09:02 AM by kim.)
I'm such a sucker for time lapse - I'm even fascinated by time lapse decay. But blooming - oooh - that is life right now! Blush

(26-04-2017 08:33 AM)Vera Wrote:  --- I am so gonna miss Cassini Sadcryface

Me too. Undecided
I guess, I just hope it can send as much data as possible, right to the last second before it hits but .... probably not enough time and there will probably be an intense burn.

If it dives between the rings - the way they are trying to get it to - THAT will be an amazing trip. Thumbsup

Here is a place to watch it live starting today. I'm sure there are other sites - NASA has one of the best, I'll get that going here in a bit.

I wish Cassini could just continue on to other planets. We've learned so much and now, it will just be gone. Surely, it has to instill in us the drive and the need to build another and continue where Cassini left off. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
26-04-2017, 09:34 AM
Well, we do lead a life consumed by slow decay Confused

I love time-lapse videos of decaying flowers and fruit, too. Sic transit and all that mould Rolleyes

Quote:But blooming - oooh - that is life right now

Not here it isn't, not for me. How appropriate Confused

But this reminds me a favourite quote by Zamyatin: "The lilac branches are bowed under the weight of the flowers: blooming is hard, and the most important thing is - to bloom." Heart (And I love lilac so, so very much!)

[Image: purplelilacsbloomingflowers.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
27-04-2017, 09:41 AM
And speaking of "decorative nether regions" you *so* want to check this out. If for no other reason, then for phrases like this one, for serenading peni and just to learn a bit more about the furious evolutionary tango of sex Yes

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
27-04-2017, 06:20 PM
This is engineering, but it's so amazing. #2 video, building a tomb for Chernobyl.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/search/resu...Episode%22

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-04-2017, 07:15 PM
Bucky, my dear, it doesn't work for moi, just shows a big blank emptiness. Story of my life.

"In a battle for the ages, six cars are vying for dominance this weekend on a race track in Toulouse, France. But you’ll need some serious binoculars if you want to get a glimpse of the action. That’s because the course is smaller than the width of a human hair, and the cars—designed by researchers from Japan, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and the United States—are made up of just single molecules. To propel the molecular machines forward on their silver and gold tracks, researchers use electric jolts provided by the tip of a scanning tunneling microscope.

After nearly 8 hours, the Austrian-U.S. entry, Dipolar Racer, has already crossed the finish line. The car, which resembles a molecular Segway without a handle, has completed two runs down its 150-nanometer silver track at an average speed of 35 nanometers per hour. At that pace, it would take hundreds of years to drive the car across a €1 coin. The Nano Dragster, entered by the Swiss team, was the first to complete a shorter, 100-nanometer-long gold race track. But the other four teams have struggled to even cross the starting line, with the Ohio Bobcat Nano-Wagon creeping forward a mere 2.5 nanometers—a distance of “virtually nothing,” according to event organizers.

The race, which continues through tomorrow, has been billed as a way to advance the manipulation of molecular machines, a field that won last year’s Nobel Prize in Chemistry. Next year, perhaps it will bring us the Nano 500."

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
29-04-2017, 07:52 PM
(29-04-2017 07:15 PM)Vera Wrote:  Bucky, my dear, it doesn't work for moi, just shows a big blank emptiness. Story of my life.

PBS Nova, Video on Megatomb for Chernobyl. It's there. Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
29-04-2017, 08:48 PM
(29-04-2017 07:15 PM)Vera Wrote:  Bucky, my dear, it doesn't work for moi, just shows a big blank emptiness. Story of my life.

"In a battle for the ages, six cars are vying for dominance this weekend on a race track in Toulouse, France. But you’ll need some serious binoculars if you want to get a glimpse of the action. That’s because the course is smaller than the width of a human hair, and the cars—designed by researchers from Japan, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and the United States—are made up of just single molecules. To propel the molecular machines forward on their silver and gold tracks, researchers use electric jolts provided by the tip of a scanning tunneling microscope.

After nearly 8 hours, the Austrian-U.S. entry, Dipolar Racer, has already crossed the finish line. The car, which resembles a molecular Segway without a handle, has completed two runs down its 150-nanometer silver track at an average speed of 35 nanometers per hour. At that pace, it would take hundreds of years to drive the car across a €1 coin. The Nano Dragster, entered by the Swiss team, was the first to complete a shorter, 100-nanometer-long gold race track. But the other four teams have struggled to even cross the starting line, with the Ohio Bobcat Nano-Wagon creeping forward a mere 2.5 nanometers—a distance of “virtually nothing,” according to event organizers.

The race, which continues through tomorrow, has been billed as a way to advance the manipulation of molecular machines, a field that won last year’s Nobel Prize in Chemistry. Next year, perhaps it will bring us the Nano 500."

There will come a day when "we" will be able to manipulate DNA to remove defects via this sort of technology. My hope is that it would be done for the right reasons.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
30-04-2017, 09:02 AM
(29-04-2017 08:48 PM)Fireball Wrote:  There will come a day when "we" will be able to manipulate DNA to remove defects via this sort of technology. My hope is that it would be done for the right reasons.

I believe it will. I honestly believe we overestimate the power of organised evil and the bad in people in general...

... then again, as I've had occasion to mention before, I must be the world's naivest cynic, so... Dodgy

Here are some wonderful (if you'll excuse the tautology ;-)) Kurzgesagt videos on genetic modification.

30-04-2017, 09:50 AM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2017 09:59 AM by kim.)
Cassini shot between the rings and is back in contact. It sent back some pretty sweet postcards of it's crazy trip, too.
This is my favorite ...
[Image: CassiniRingPics_web_1024.jpg]
... it is Saturn’s north pole, which is enveloped by a huge hexagonal storm.

And...
[Image: PIA06143-640-640x350.jpg]

... a moon amongst the rings. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post