The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
29-09-2012, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2014 12:24 AM by kim.)
RE: The elegant nature of science
The auroral current can also be used for transmitting and receiving telegraphic dispatches. This was done between 8:30 and 11:00 in the morning, on September 2, 1859, on the wires of the American Telegraph Company between Boston and Portland, and upon the wires of the Old Colony and Fall River Railroad Company between South Braintree and Fall River, among others. The length of time during each positive wave was only, however, 15 to 60 seconds.
[Image: aurora.jpg]
The following account came from between Boston and Portland.
Portland: "Please cut off your battery, and let us see if we cannot work with the auroral current alone."

Boston: "I have already done so. We are working with the aid of the aurora alone. How do you receive my writing?"

Portland: "Very well indeed - much better than when the batteries were on; the current is steadier and more reliable. Suppose we continue to work so until the aurora subsides?"

Boston: "Agreed. Are you ready for business?"

Portland: "Yes, go ahead."

This went on for a period of two hours. After the current from the aurora subsided, the battery was reconnected. The parties at Fort Braintree and Fall River did the same for over an hour, over a distance of 40 miles.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
06-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Science Friday yesterday, had at least two really interesting segments :
one on black holes.
and one on memory and genetics.

http://sciencefriday.com/audio/index.htm...dth-list/1

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
09-10-2012, 03:17 PM
The Nobel for Physics today went to two who have done really interesting work, which spawned the quantum computing field.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/10/scienc...erbye&_r=0

09-10-2012, 10:49 PM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2014 12:23 AM by kim.)
These might seem like disturbing photos to some but I have a greater respect for dentists after seeing them. They also give me a greater understanding of growth in the earlier stages of childhood. Child to adult; the transition seems easy enough, in theory…

Remember around 1st grade when you started losing your baby teeth? They told you your "baby" teeth had to fall out so your new "adult" teeth would have room to come in. Yea, sure… that sounded just insane enough to be true.

Ever wonder what went on inside your skull and where those "adult" teeth were going to come from? Well, here you go.
[Image: faceon.jpg]
These are two different displays of child skulls that have been cut away to expose the formation of budding adult teeth.
It really is a dramatic process that is usually completed by the age of eight or nine.
[Image: closeside.jpg]
Amazing what such a small part of the human body goes through in early youth. The human body sometimes seems so fragile but there are times when it really shows off an assembly line efficiency.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
13-10-2012, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2012 10:35 AM by Bucky Ball.)
A PBS series, I did not notice before. Part 1 is a good history of Psychology.
http://video.idahoptv.org/program/history-science/

Edit : These vids are not available here. I'll see if they are on PBS.
Here's a YouTube link for the last one. The rest are there, in order.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDGd3DAyY...el&list=UL

17-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Dark matter ?
http://www.space.com/18083-elusive-dark-...-view.html

17-10-2012, 12:02 PM
(17-10-2012 10:36 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Dark matter ?
http://www.space.com/18083-elusive-dark-...-view.html

The big bright spot is a false color image of the dark matter?

Is dark matter really just evil matter? Evil_monster

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
20-10-2012, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2014 12:27 AM by kim.)
[Image: hubble-ngc-175-perseus.jpg]
This Hubble Space Telescope image shows NGC 1275, the galaxy located in the center of the Perseus Galaxy Cluster. The red threadlike filaments are composed of cool gas suspended by a magnetic field.
Photo: NASA/ESA/Hubble Heritage (STScI/AURA)-ESA/Hubble Collaboration

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Uh oh... inside you know where. Wink
[Image: uranus-planet-profile.jpg]

20-10-2012, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2012 07:56 PM by kim.)
The announcement of 50 newfound alien worlds Sept. 12 included 16 so-called "super-Earths" and one planet that could just possibly, be habitable, astronomers said.
[Image: alien-super-earth.jpg]
The planet called HD 85512 b, orbits the star HD 85512 about 35 light-years from Earth in the direction of the constellation Vela (the Sail). The photo is a profile of this planet. (which I have personally dubbed Herbie.) Shy I think the chart is pretty cool; it shows the star's habitable zone... and the little guy seems a bit close for my taste.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Use of the word "science" undergroundp 16 213 05-07-2014 10:53 AM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  Is science in the United States getting worst? Metazoa Zeke 7 147 04-07-2014 08:51 PM
Last Post: Rinpoche
  What Science Course(s) Should I Go Into? Cyvas 27 381 03-07-2014 06:52 PM
Last Post: natachan
  Youtube and Science vs. Creationism cre8ivmind 5 123 17-06-2014 01:59 PM
Last Post: dancefortwo
  Do we sometimes go too far in Science? JDog554 51 511 04-06-2014 07:26 PM
Last Post: Shadow Fox
  Feline Science - by Full Circle Full Circle 23 1,021 14-05-2014 04:49 PM
Last Post: Bows and Arrows
  Sensory Benches to connect with nature- Scotland Bows and Arrows 3 95 12-05-2014 08:11 AM
Last Post: Mathilda