The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
25-01-2013, 02:44 AM
RE: The elegant nature of science
I'm sure there isn't anyone here, deluded enough to think HIV was developed in a lab, but still... Looks like it's even older than we thought...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21189141
[Image: _65497537_bonobo_chimps_gettyimages.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
25-01-2013, 07:09 AM
Okay, I promise I'll lay off for a bit after this one Angel

Dung beetles guided by Milky Way.
[Image: _65444563_beetle.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
27-01-2013, 10:11 PM
So, looks like there's a formula that predicts death. It created quite a stir on NPR. People don't like hearing Jebus is not in charge.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2013/0...s-20130127

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-01-2013, 05:59 AM
Bucky, I love those types of images/clips. Both when they show a plant blooming and withering away. Can watch them for hours.

Also, this: Blood-biting' predator identified

[Image: _65535419_tyrannoneustuscreditdmitrybogdanov.jpg]

29-01-2013, 10:04 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50620121/ns/...e-science/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
02-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Asteroid binaries

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2013, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2013 01:02 PM by Vera.)
Earliest placental mammal ancestor pinpointed.

[Image: _65730922_oleary1hr.jpg]

Also, if you like dinosaurs: Dinosaur extinction: Scientists estimate 'most accurate' date

EDIT: The more I think about this, the more I think this is amazing news. And yet - it hasn't even made it into the top 10 news items on the BBC site No

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
09-02-2013, 02:20 PM
That is astounding that this research has been so refined! It seems logical to me that we would share some part of genetic material with this type of creature, as much as we do with any other. This kind of research really helps so many pieces we already have, to fit together more securely. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
09-02-2013, 02:36 PM
(09-02-2013 02:20 PM)kim Wrote:  That is astounding that this research has been so refined! It seems logical to me that we would share some part of genetic material with this type of creature, as much as we do with any other. This kind of research really helps so many pieces we already have, to fit together more securely. Thumbsup

I appear to be much more thrilled by this than is perhaps reasonable, don't know why Consider

"The team reconstructed the anatomy of the common ancestor by mapping the traits most strongly supported by the data. These suggest a two-horned uterus, a brain with a convoluted cerebral cortex and a placenta in which maternal blood came in close contact with membranes surrounding the fetus, as in humans."

"It has been suggested that primates diverged from other mammals well before the extinction of the dinosaurs, but our work using direct evidence from the fossil record tells a different story."

Plus, now when religionists start telling us indignantly that they are not descended from apes, we can tell them: "You got that right. We're actually descended from cute little rodents." Not sure whether they'll like this more, though Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
09-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Thinking about it from a parasitic perspective, this is work has even greater scope of definition....

Within the smallpox genome there is a bit of "rodent-like" RNA which appears to have been deposited there more than 2 million years ago. This genetic information gives the virus the propensity to jump species... which somewhere along the line, it did - to man. However, a stable "rodent-like" species was only theorized to be around that early, to give the virus enough time to adapt a mechanism that would make it to be able to do that (jump species) by the time humans came along.

I bet some virus guys are grinning from ear to ear about this. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post