The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
16-02-2013, 03:44 PM
RE: The elegant nature of science
(16-02-2013 01:22 PM)kim Wrote:  Yea - the Yellowstone Caldera really has our number. That could cause Winter for a hell of a long time... not to mention seriously alter landscape.
[Image: YellowstoneCaldera_zpsd0d1ebac.jpg]

Yeah, sure, mega-tsunamis and mega-volcanoes. Thats y I dont buleeve this sceince shit. God wouldnt let this happen in 'Murrica.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Cosmos may be 'inherently unstable'.

[Image: _65947353_65947352.jpg]

Fuck me, I should stop reading the comments below, once and for all. Angry

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
19-02-2013, 10:59 AM
(16-02-2013 03:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yeah, sure, mega-tsunamis and mega-volcanoes. Thats y I dont buleeve this sceince shit. God wouldnt let this happen in 'Murrica.

Channeling my neighbors, now? I come here to get away from the brain dead. Dodgy

Your link won't let me in unless I provide my first born. They could have it but hey, it's god. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
19-02-2013, 11:01 AM
(19-02-2013 10:59 AM)kim Wrote:  
(16-02-2013 03:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yeah, sure, mega-tsunamis and mega-volcanoes. Thats y I dont buleeve this sceince shit. God wouldnt let this happen in 'Murrica.

Channeling my neighbors, now? I come here to get away from the brain dead. Dodgy

Your link won't let me in unless I provide my first born. They could have it but hey, it's god. Dodgy

That wasn't me. It was the holy spirit working through me. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-02-2013, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2013 11:27 AM by kim.)
(19-02-2013 09:59 AM)Vera Wrote:  [Image: _65947353_65947352.jpg]
Quote:A concept known as vacuum instability could result, billions of years from now, in a new universe opening up in the present one and replacing it.

That is the coolest sentence EVER! Smile
Boom... boom... boom... boom...
I know people have a problem with this but I don't. I'm just glad to be alive right now. I feel like it makes right now even more important... at least to me. Shy

Life is a musical interlude to dance and enjoy while you can.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
19-02-2013, 11:29 AM
(19-02-2013 11:20 AM)kim Wrote:  That is the coolest sentence EVER! Smile
Boom... boom... boom... boom...
I know people have a problem with this but I don't. I'm just glad to be alive right now. I feel like it makes right now even more important... at least to me. Shy

Ahh, Johnny Lee... Science and Johnny Lee, and a wicked sense of humour? Kimmie, will you marry me Blush

Yeah, that's one cool idea. And yeah, the ultimate answers about the Universe do not really change the here and now, they only make it more poignant and our existence - even more amazing in its utter brevity and randomness.

(My favourite was from the comments, where someone said that science has never been so much fun since Galileo dropped his balls from the Tower of Pisa. Yeah, I do have my immature moments, too. Rolleyes )

19-02-2013, 12:46 PM
(19-02-2013 11:29 AM)Vera Wrote:  (My favourite was from the comments, where someone said that science has never been so much fun since Galileo dropped his balls from the Tower of Pisa. Yeah, I do have my immature moments, too. Rolleyes )

Well at least, as science tells us... Galileo's balls hit the ground simultaneously. What a relief, huh? Wink

19-02-2013, 03:17 PM

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
20-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Saturn's Hexagon and Rings

[Image: ringshexagon_cassini_1016.jpg]

Sources:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA14646

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
20-02-2013, 08:57 AM
(19-02-2013 12:46 PM)kim Wrote:  Well at least, as science tells us... Galileo's balls hit the ground simultaneously. What a relief, huh? Wink
Well, I do not think many men will agree that the words balls and hitting should ever be put together with the word relief. Angel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Use of the word "science" undergroundp 16 213 05-07-2014 10:53 AM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  Is science in the United States getting worst? Metazoa Zeke 7 140 04-07-2014 08:51 PM
Last Post: Rinpoche
  What Science Course(s) Should I Go Into? Cyvas 27 381 03-07-2014 06:52 PM
Last Post: natachan
  Youtube and Science vs. Creationism cre8ivmind 5 121 17-06-2014 01:59 PM
Last Post: dancefortwo
  Do we sometimes go too far in Science? JDog554 51 510 04-06-2014 07:26 PM
Last Post: Shadow Fox
  Feline Science - by Full Circle Full Circle 23 1,016 14-05-2014 04:49 PM
Last Post: Bows and Arrows
  Sensory Benches to connect with nature- Scotland Bows and Arrows 3 95 12-05-2014 08:11 AM
Last Post: Mathilda